Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 833 times)

Offline DocBullseye

Hello!
« on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:20:51 »
Been interested in mechanicals for a while.  I've been using my trusty Microsoft Internet Pro for maybe 18 years (it was surprisingly well-made!), and I'd look at mechanical keyboards at Best Buy and Fry's but never could decide what I wanted.  Cut to 2020 and suddenly I'm setting up a separate office area to work from home.  I couldn't stand to work on a laptop all day, so I needed a keyboard and monitor.  The monitor was easy -- just buy a bigger gaming monitor (I got a 27" LG 2K that I love) and use the old 24" for work!  For the keyboard, I decided on a Abkoncore K660 which had really good reviews on Amazon and was only $40.  The thing is LOUD with Outemu Blue switches and loud metallic ringing when you hit the space bar, but man the keys felt nice.

Then Ars Technica posted an article about the DROP CRTL and everything with mechanical keyboards...

Last week I got a GMMK TKL.  Also got some extra cheap keycaps just to play around with them on it and my K660.  Then I started looking more.  Now the K660 is decked out with AKKO Neons.  And today I started installing O-rings on the keycaps during conference calls, and it does make a big difference in the sound, especially the spacebar...  And ordered three sets of switches from KBD fans because I know I want something heavier, but not sure what and what would a linear switch feel like to type on?  And oh man there are a couple of nice GMK and ePBT groupbuys going on right now...   Oh and I had to back that K620T KickStarter because that is just the kind of keyboard I'll want to have at the office when we do go back, and it's only $59...   arrrrrrggghhhh what have you people done to me

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 10:23:40 »
Hi DocBullseye. Welcome to Geekhack.

You stumbled upon some great switches for a first mechanical board. I like Outemu blues more than MX, and I think they're almost indistinguishable from Gaterons. I'm no longer a fan of MX and MX clones at all, but if I had to use them, Outemu or Gateron blues would be one of my go-tos. That K660 is an interesting-looking board. Maybe a little flashy for me. lol

The Drop CTRL does look like a great board. I have the ALT and it seems very solid, although I haven't used it much. I mostly got it because I found one for a good price and didn't have any hotswap boards for playing with switches.

What switches have you got in that GMMK? People seem to love those boards, for what they are. Those caps are pretty sharp looking.  :thumb:

What switches did you order? A big switch tester is usually a good idea, with as many different types as possible.

If you want a heavier, clicky that is MX compatible, I must always shill for the Kailh box jade and navy switches. I think they're the best clickies available with MX compatibility. Linears feel like nothing, really. You can't compare them to rubber domes because those are tactiles, and being rubber they bottom out relatively lightly. With linears, unless they're dampened, you've got (relatively) smooth travel from top to bottom, depending on the switch and if you want to get into lubrication (I don't).

I would avoid that K620T. It looks great, but Ajazz switches are literally the worst MX blue clones I have ever felt in my life, and MX blues are already unusable for me these days.