Author Topic: Heinz is a superior ketchup (catsup) to Hunt's  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Oqsy

Heinz is a superior ketchup (catsup) to Hunt's
« on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 02:23:30 »
This really won't be much of a discussion, as I'm sure you all agree that Hunt's is a far inferior product, and should be voluntarily pulled from the market due to it's sucktitude.

While I may not be a big fan of the family that runs Heinz, the product is the best on the market, and has been successful for a reason.

I am intentionally ignoring any brands besides the two major brands on the market because there's really no reason to waste my time or yours on some no-name-mom-and-pop tomato mashing operation.  If it isn't getting at least 20% of the market, it's not a real product.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 04:01:39 »
thought heinz was in every restaurant and fast food, well it is except mcdees ran across this article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06179/701775-28.stm

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 04:38:59 »
The Heintz you get in Europe is pretty close to being not edible. Not sure where they make it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 04:43:30 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;214331
The Heintz you get in Europe is pretty close to being not edible. Not sure where they make it.

it may very well be a different formula, idk, all i know is that chocolate(my fiance's job) has different formula's depending on region, from the same company. (by region i mean different countries, a snickers in california will be the same in ny, but might be different in the UK[at least there it's called marathon cuz of nickers, but i think they changed it back to snickers? who knows])

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:37:54 »
I think heinz basically has the right amount of salt content.  

its funny, supposedly there are 57 varieties of heinz ketchup. I've only ever seen or tasted... one.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:39:25 »
But what about that green catsup they sold in the supermarket a few years ago?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:46:58 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:40:43 »
Quote from: wellington1869;214396
its funny, supposedly there are 57 varieties of heinz ketchup. I've only ever seen or tasted... one.

That's because there is only one variety of ketchup from Heinz.  Check it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 09:44:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;214403
That's because there is only one variety of ketchup from Heinz.  Check it.

well that would explain it. Thats absolutely hilarious.

I also read somewhere that ketchup is actually thin and runny, but the bottle-shape was designed so that its hard to pour, to deliberately give the false impression of being thick.

Also read that ketchup used to be made by rotten tomatoes that were being discarded (literally rotting), and the manufacturer (possibly mr. heinz) didnt want to throw them out (cuz waste of money), so he mashed them up and poured enough vinegar into them so you couldnt taste the rotting parts, and presto, ketchup was born.
Also its not quite ruby red at the end of the process so a lot of food coloring has to be added.

wow, i didnt realize what a liar my ketchup was!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 10:48:55 »
I'm not much of a ketchup fan.  I feel that in situations where ketchup is appropriate, barbecue sauce is better. IMO, it has a better, more robust flavor, and depending on which one you get, is not as sweet.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:13:30 »
Quote from: ripster;214448
I was going to see if McDonald's Japanese ketchup tasted like McDonald's American ketchup but got distracted by their new Aurora Chicken.
Show Image

Ah, Japanese and it's limited syllables
 "oorou" just doesn't translate that well into Aurora
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:13:35 »
The McDonald's private label ketchup is pretty good, actually....

Now, I LOVE ketchup- I am one of those guys who goes through 6 of those little white cups in a single order of fries, and I load my burger with it too (when i actually eat fast food, not often!)

Anyway, there is a better ketchup out there, this:
http://www.birdseyefoods.com/brooks/catalog.asp?Product=Brooks+Rich+%26+Tangy+Ketchup

I *LOVE* this stuff, to the point where I ask my wife to make a special trip to the supermarket around here that actually carries it.  It's better than Heinz hands down!
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:14:51 »
Quote from: itlnstln;214446
I'm not much of a ketchup fan.  I feel that in situations where ketchup is appropriate, barbecue sauce is better. IMO, it has a better, more robust flavor, and depending on which one you get, is not as sweet.

I like catsup on cheeseburgers, french fries, and hot dogs. On anything else I prefer barbecue sauce (Which is basically catsup with some spices and some soy sauce). I've always preferred to make my own barbecue sauce. It's easy and I'd encourage you all to do it too.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:23:15 »
Quote from: MissileMike;214462
Anyway, there is a better ketchup out there, this:
http://www.birdseyefoods.com/brooks/catalog.asp?Product=Brooks+Rich+%26+Tangy+Ketchup

Sorry, but I will not respect any product, recipe, person, whatever that suggests putting ketchup in chili.  As such, it shall be called "weaksauce."
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:27:45 by itlnstln »

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:31:50 »
Ketchup is ok on fries, but I much prefer brown sauce (HP = also Heinz, since a few years) on burgers and eggs.
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:44:33 »
Hmm, last time I purposely put ketchup on something I ate...probably 2.5 years ago, eating some french fries. And you know what, it was Heinz, glass bottled stuff.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 11:54:32 »
I have a really funny story about a co-worker shaking a ketchup bottle in a restaurant, but it's too long to type, and... well... it would sound better if I told it.  Carry on.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 12:10:18 »
When I was a kid we had catsup in little packets at my school. I'd cut a small slit in them and put them under each of the two bumps on the underside of the toilet seats. When other kids sat on the toilet, we'd joke about them having "the squirts".

My friends and I later moved on to barbecue sauce. It had more staining power.