Author Topic: what quantity GroupBuy usually reach?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Ranger_Trivette

what quantity GroupBuy usually reach?
« on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 03:01:57 »
i've seen multiple data regarding keycap set.
i've never seen data about keyboards.
keyboard GB aren't very transparent.

i'm wondering what a standard quantity for a keyboard GB.

does they start even with 10pcs?
how many of them reach 50 unit?
is 100pcs hard to reach?
does some GB go over 100pcs?

thanks!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: what quantity GroupBuy usually reach?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 04:34:28 »
Group buys are not typical so there really isn't an answer.

This is simplified but should give you some idea:

When you get a quote to CNC the case it will cost X to setup the machine (while probably scrapping the first effort) plus Y per board where X>Y.  If X+10Y/10 is cheap enough that 10 people buy in the GB would go ahead, sometimes you need 25 buyers to make it worth doing.  Or 50.  This is why many buys (used to? the hobby has grown so much maybe it's no longer a worry...) have an MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity)

If you have ran a GB before and the board was great people are more likely to trust you than if you're a newbie who could be well intentioned but uses a sloppy factory and delivers a poor product, or worse string people along for six months until paypal protection ends then run off with the money.

The final factor will be what you're trying to sell - a niche ortho board will not shift anywhere near as many as whatever the flavour of the day is.

When you get popular the other end applies - you can only handle so much quality checking and packing and 50 keyboards on a pallet is going to take up a good amount of space in your garage, so some buys are capped for legitimate reasons.  Others are supposed to be 'exclusive' so the opportunity to buy 1 of 10 is either raffled or done first come first served at a pre advertised date and time.

I'm sure LZ and RAMA could sell hundreds of boards, whether they choose to is another question.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 05:12:38 »
Group buys are not typical so there really isn't an answer.
but, if i open the GB section, there are plenty of keyboard GB.
i mean, thew 80% of the GB are dedicated to keycap, but looks like there are a lot of keyboard GB alive every day...

am i missing something?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 08:50:34 »
You've not missed anything - there are plenty of keyboard GBs but keycaps and deskmats are smaller and cheaper so the target is nearly always to sell as many as possible so one GB is much like another or, in my speak, they are typical.  On the other hand keyboard buys have significant differences (as detailed above) so while common they are different from each other and not typical :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod