Author Topic: Keychron K4 PCB problem (LED)  (Read 1470 times)

Offline zoltvn

Keychron K4 PCB problem (LED)
« on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:20:15 »
Hello!

Just desoldered my Keychron K4 V1 Gateron brown keyboard. While doing it i managed to knock a resistor(or diode) out of its place. Tried to solder it back but seems like it doesn't work.

Only one row of LEDs work weird. The defected row has only 2 working. Other rows work well. I can see the RGB LED has 3 leds inside of it and only 2 of them working(Red and Green, so Blue doesn't work)

Photos in attachments.
Thank you if anyone helps!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:58:12 by zoltvn »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Keychron K4 PCB problem (LED)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:49:31 »
Are we looking at RA17?  If so it looks like one side is attached to the trace going away from it and the other connects to Q9.  If you have damaged the pad on Q9 side you can probably just rotate the resistor and solder it between the transistor and the working pad, if you've damaged the other side you could scrape the green off the trace to reveal some copper and solder a jumper between the resistor and that trace.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline zoltvn

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 11:05:13 »
Holy ...

First of all, thank you!

Your solution seems pretty hard (for me), i dont even know what a transistor is on the PCB. Seems like i wont have blue on that row. One other question. If i don't sole this, and leave it this way, will it result in any damage later or its not a really big problem and just affects my LEDs and thats it? Do I have to worry about this later?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 11:22:26 »
It's not so hard and it's already damaged so may as well give it a go :)

The resistor should be connected along the red and orange lines.  You can try soldering the resistor where the blue is, that's the easy option, or under the orange line is the trace.  You would need to get something small and sharp (a pin or needle, or small pair of scissors maybe?) and scratch gently until you see copper, then you can use any random wire to connect the trace to the resistor.

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod