Author Topic: What is the best method for noise dampening IQUINIX L80  (Read 1544 times)

Offline tenfish

What is the best method for noise dampening IQUINIX L80
« on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 11:36:06 »
I recently bought a IQUINIX L80 with RGB lighting and Cherry brown switches:

https://iqunix.store/products/iqunix-l80-formula-typing-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I find that a number of the keys have a muffled "tinge" or echo quality that I really dislike.  What is the best fix for this kind of noise dampening?  Because it's a wired/wireless keyboard, I don't know how well felt, foam or silicone would work around the battery.

It's like new bought on ebay so I suspect IQUINIX wouldn't offer support.

Offline diazel

Re: What is the best method for noise dampening IQUINIX L80
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 11:50:53 »
I personally would start with replacing the cherry brown switches. If you're getting spring ping, you can disassemble the switch and replace the spring or try lubing it. Me? I would toss 'em and grab some other higher quality switches. You could also swap the springs you already have for some Sprits or something but it's probably not worth your time imo.

Adding foam or silicone could certainly help muffle the noise but since that ping is likely happening in the key switch and your keeb is hot swappable, I think that's the better way to go.

Offline tenfish

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 13:35:31 »
Thanks diazel.  I'll poke around the FAQ, but what is your recommendation that are tactile like the Cherry browns?

Offline diazel

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 15:55:27 »
Thanks diazel.  I'll poke around the FAQ, but what is your recommendation that are tactile like the Cherry browns?

Depending on how quiet you want to go and your budget, on the high end you could look at Zilents or if you want to go with cheaper, you could look at Gazzew's Boba U4 Silent. Between the two, I actually prefer the Boba's. I have Zilent V2s in a Tofu 60 and I don't know if it's because I didn't lube them but they're not that gratifying to type on stock imo. The Bobas I immediately loved.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 16:12:40 »
Poron urethane foam in the case along with silent switches is great way to noise dampen your keyboard.

If you're really going to pursue replacing the switches, i would love to have the browns (send me a message if you're interested  ^-^)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline tenfish

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:39:58 »

Depending on how quiet you want to go and your budget, on the high end you could look at Zilents or if you want to go with cheaper, you could look at Gazzew's Boba U4 Silent. Between the two, I actually prefer the Boba's. I have Zilent V2s in a Tofu 60 and I don't know if it's because I didn't lube them but they're not that gratifying to type on stock imo. The Bobas I immediately loved.

Wading through the vast amount of information on switches around the web, I happen to have come across theremingoat's site and found the Boba U4s.  But where to buy them in the US with clears available?  From what I've seen lubing is an investment in significant time and there don't appear to be many people still doing this under the Artisan Services directory.  It also seems silly to dump almost the cost of the keyboard into new switches.  I'm grateful for the information but I'm also considering reselling the L80 and getting another board with better switches.

I can't believe I've never noticed this with Cherry brown switches before.  This isn't nearly as pronounced on my Leopold FC750R PD.  Suggestions on fancier keyboards also welcome. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 17:50:32 by tenfish »