Author Topic: desolder leopold or built dz60 rev 3.0?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline polyurethane

desolder leopold or built dz60 rev 3.0?
« on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 01:53:19 »
i bought leopold fc660m with silent red recently turn out i didn't like how the silent red feel even though i do like the sound ,
i planning to desolder the switch on leopold and change it with either gateron yellow or boba u4t but i never had have experience with desoldering also my soldering skill is so so
it bit worried me after i read the leopold boards are hard to desolder because they uses free lead solder wire.
another option is i built new keyboard with dz60 rev 3.0 which is it turn out more expensive than desoldering-soldering my leopold.
do you guys have any good / bad experience with desolder leopold board?
is desolder recommended for beginner?
what should I prepare for desolder/soldering?
does 30w soldering iron is doable for desolder and soldering?

my soldering tools:
-goot kx30-r 30W
-goot gs100 desoldering pump
-generic brass wool solder cleaner
-60/40 0.8 solder wire

i dont want to buy new soldering tool unless it necessary because I don't solder very often

any advice i really appreciate it :thumb: thank in advance

Offline Maledicted

Re: desolder leopold or built dz60 rev 3.0?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 20:57:25 »
i bought leopold fc660m with silent red recently turn out i didn't like how the silent red feel even though i do like the sound ,
i planning to desolder the switch on leopold and change it with either gateron yellow or boba u4t but i never had have experience with desoldering also my soldering skill is so so
it bit worried me after i read the leopold boards are hard to desolder because they uses free lead solder wire.
another option is i built new keyboard with dz60 rev 3.0 which is it turn out more expensive than desoldering-soldering my leopold.
do you guys have any good / bad experience with desolder leopold board?
is desolder recommended for beginner?
what should I prepare for desolder/soldering?
does 30w soldering iron is doable for desolder and soldering?

my soldering tools:
-goot kx30-r 30W
-goot gs100 desoldering pump
-generic brass wool solder cleaner
-60/40 0.8 solder wire

i dont want to buy new soldering tool unless it necessary because I don't solder very often

any advice i really appreciate it :thumb: thank in advance
This thread and this post in another should help, among many others I'm sure.

Have you gotten a switch tester with a good amount of switches so that you can narrow down what you prefer? If you want to save money, have no use for MX silent red, want to just keep trying switches in a board without a tester and don't want to get better soldering tools, I would return the Leopold and get a hot swap DZ60.

Desoldering is a lot harder than soldering when using cheap tools, although neither are particularly difficult in most scenarios with a little practice and decent tools. Those cheap manual pumps are a pain, but usable in a pinch. With crappy lead free solder it can help to add some fresh leaded solder like you have before trying to desolder. Flux helps too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2021, 20:59:18 by Maledicted »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: desolder leopold or built dz60 rev 3.0?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 21:14:13 »
No I wouldn’t recommend it if you are new to it since, OEM boards use led free solder what makes desoldering even a pain in the ass for a experienced person. You have to be careful and it takes much longer.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020