Author Topic: BEST wrist rest for RSI?  (Read 10554 times)

Offline didjamatic

BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 13:16:31 »
I have RSI pretty bad and need a wrist rest.  I don't care if it's uglier than Rosie O'Donnell slurping a stick of butter as long as it's comfortable and helps my RSI.  Filco or Elite rests look great but are too expensive and I don't think my employer would spring for one.

What have you used that worked or did not work?  

Fav material type?  What height did you find benefited your RSI the most?

Mouse rests?

I was thinking of this 3M gel rest on Amazon.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline itlnstln

BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 13:25:28 »
I really like the Filco one, but barring that, just the plain, "thick mousepad" type worked great for me.  I hate the gel ones as they feel too round at the top, and they are typically too tall.  Which leads me to my next requirement - the rest needs to be the same height as the front lip; or lower but on the same plane.  That's what's nice about the Filco.  It's reversible, so you can have two levels of height based on what you need.

Offline platon

BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 13:43:18 »
I use this mouse rest daily at work.

I totally recommend it. It is very comfortable. It uses very small beads instead of gel or foam.

On the other hand, i don't recommend this wrist rest from the same guys. My wrists sink in it and it interrupts my typing.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 14:10:50 »
For typing, a wrist rest is a bad idea. What you really need to do to relieve your wrist RSI is to put down the keyboard legs (Or even tilt the keyboard the other way), and move it to the edge of the table to force yourself to KEEP YOUR WRISTS ELEVEATED. That's the key there. Resting your wrists while typing bends your hands upwards, which is unnatural and very bad for your wrists. If you keep your wrists elevated, you should never need a wrist rest (for the keyboard, the mouse is a different story), and your RSI should be relieved.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2010, 14:13:23 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 14:14:26 »
Quote from: platon;216538
I use this mouse rest daily at work.

Show Image

I totally recommend it. It is very comfortable. It uses very small beads instead of gel or foam.

On the other hand, i don't recommend this wrist rest from the same guys. My wrists sink in it and it interrupts my typing.

The mouse wrist rest is a good idea since you move the mouse around. I would get one but I use multiple computers and have no "main" machine.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Lanx

BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 02:20:36 »
this 5$ mouse pad wrist rest is surprisingly pretty good
http://www.buy.com/prod/allsop-wrist-rest-1-5-x-4-x-2-5-black/q/listingid/35121160/loc/101/204242326.html
i say this because my mouse pad alone is 50$ so to pair it w/ a 5$ mouse wrist rest is laughable, but the nice thing is that it if you look at it your wrist, rests on it and it has teflon on the bottom so the whole wrist rest glides along w/ your arm.

Offline Stone

BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 02:42:53 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;216546
For typing, a wrist rest is a bad idea. What you really need to do to relieve your wrist RSI is to put down the keyboard legs (Or even tilt the keyboard the other way), and move it to the edge of the table to force yourself to KEEP YOUR WRISTS ELEVATED. That's the key there. Resting your wrists while typing bends your hands upwards, which is unnatural and very bad for your wrists. If you keep your wrists elevated, you should never need a wrist rest (for the keyboard, the mouse is a different story), and your RSI should be relieved.

This. Wrist rests are a recipe for immediate relief but eventual carpal tunnel. Buy a Datahand ;)

For a long while I used a mousemat with built-in gel rest - it came from Game for £5 or so but I'm sure you have local suppliers. Since my wrist was then fixed in one place I ended up damaging my mid-carpal joint by the constant side-to-side motion of moving the mouse around; not recommended. Switching to a very high DPI gaming-type mouse might help, but I'd got so bad I ended up switching to a VerticalMouse - and even on 2400dpi it still causes pain. Really I want to do everything through RDP with an iPad but the IT Security people at work won't let me :(

Stone

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
BEST wrist rest for RSI?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 12:26:59 »
Quote from: Stone
Really I want to do everything through RDP with an iPad but the IT Security people at work won't let me :(

Stone

What's so ergonomic about typing on a big touchscreen?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk