Author Topic: Revealed: The Story of the IBM Model M4 family of keyboards  (Read 1394 times)

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
Revealed: The Story of the IBM Model M4 family of keyboards
« on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 10:50:28 »
Hi!

This is the story and (aiming to be) the definitive article on the IBM Model M4 and M4-1 Space Saver buckling sleeves keyboards, the keyboard that came before and largely inspired the first generation of ThinkPad keyboards (the Model M6).

Well... sort of. The story is a bit more complex but everything is explained inside! This has been one of the largest undertakings for my website, being over a month in the making, and features contributions from several awesome people! All contributions are acknowledged at the end. The motivation for this was that there is seldom (centralised) information about these keyboards. They're not particularly rare nor unheard about, but in my time looking up these keyboards, I noticed a fair few misconceptions and a lot of questions gone unanswered. Being someone who particularly loves these sorts of nichés and nuances, I thought this would be a cool thing to write about.

The article: https://sharktastica.co.uk/articles/m4_story

Enjoy!

271887-0
271889-1
271891-2

Offline Leopard223

Re: Revealed: The Story of the IBM Model M4 family of keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 19:36:40 »
Site looks absolutely fantastic and those keyboards are beautiful.

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 18:31:46 »
Site looks absolutely fantastic and those keyboards are beautiful.

Thanks! That they are!

Offline sharktastica

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 18:31:55 »
Update: Along with some minor spelling and grammar improvements, I've added photos of a Lexmark-branded M4. Thanks to deskthority user arkanoid for offering these photos for the article!

You can go straight to it here: https://sharktastica.co.uk/articles/m4_story#OEMs