Author Topic: Animosity between USA and Canada  (Read 38001 times)

Offline lmnop

Animosity between USA and Canada
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:14:38 »
oh and let's not forget Canada's other commodities :)

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:17:12 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:31:30 »
here is your girlfriend.

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:37:39 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:48:34 »

I think iMav needs a POTD/BOTD on the forum index :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:53:19 by lmnop »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:58:10 »
Lol...I've noticed Geekhack is becoming increasingly LESS safe for work ;)

Offline lmnop

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 10:01:49 »
I expect everybody to rise out of they're cubicals and scream "To Canada!"

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 17:24:27 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;217520
I couldn't agree more, I heard other people with the "american" nonsense. People from the united states are AMERICANS, period.

Meh. Seems to me the U.S.A. is not only lacking a language of its own, they haven't even got a proper name for its citizens. Or even a decent name for the country, when you think about it. (United States of America is a description of how it was formed, not a name.) What a bunch of slackers! They've had centuries to sort this out. :tongue:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 18:15:29 »
Quote from: Rajagra;217701
Meh. Seems to me the U.S.A. is not only lacking a language of its own, they haven't even got a proper name for its citizens. Or even a decent name for the country, when you think about it. (United States of America is a description of how it was formed, not a name.) What a bunch of slackers! They've had centuries to sort this out. :tongue:

kicked your ass in revolutionary war: check
saved your ass in wwii: check

'nuf said :-P

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline audioave10

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 18:41:17 »
Nice list of girls there. I forgive them for anything else they have done wrong.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 18:49:17 »
Quote from: quadibloc;217363

But it wasn't until Pierre Elliot Trudeau came along that we had a Prime Minister who decided that TV shows like Mission: Impossible and American magazines like the Reader's Digest were brainwashing Canadians, so that they were unable to see the genius of Mao Tse-Tung in going around and slaughtering all the landlords.

Elements of the Canadian intelligentsia, thus, have been encouraged since then to become dupes of world Communism, sadly. The great masses of ordinary Canadians are presumably suffering this in silence, even as the great masses of ordinary Americans supported Spiro Agnew in similar silence.

quad, that was hi-larious! ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 19:41:47 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217722
quad, that was hi-larious! ;)
Glad you liked it. I hope you read my spirited defense of your right to be called an American, as well.

Of course, while we Canadians are properly grateful for America's role in World War II, we're also quietly proud that we joined in to save civilization when the war started, without waiting for the Japanese to bomb Halifax or something.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 20:10:10 »
Quote from: quadibloc;217729
Glad you liked it. I hope you read my spirited defense of your right to be called an American, as well.

Indeed, and it was much appreciated :)

Of course, while we Canadians are properly grateful for America's role in World War II, we're also quietly proud that we joined in to save civilization when the war started, without waiting for the Japanese to bomb Halifax or something.

Full credit to Canada for that :)  

You can blame our pacifist/relativists (who are still around, in force; a few on this very forum ;) who joined forces with the conservatives (as usual) and their 'America First' campaign to keep our government's hands tied and out of the war, officially anyway. (Roosevelt was smart enough to begin secretly aiding the brits, and to begin the oil embargo of japan, well before pearl harbor).  But yea sadly thats what it took.

Incidentally, I think you'll enjoy this: :)
wwii for teenagers

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 22:02:41 »
Quote from: quadibloc;217729

Though most of your points are correct, I'd like to point out that you spelled "defence" wrong. In proper English (and Canadian) spelling, there is no "s" in "defence". (...or "offence")

I'm surprised the Americans don't call a fence a "fense".

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 22:07:22 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217711

kicked your ass in a war you started: check (War of 1812 - Americans lost the first war they ever fought! unbelievable)
not stupid enough to join illegal Iraq war: check
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 22:10:51 by mr_a500 »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 22:32:39 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217757
Though most of your points are correct, I'd like to point out that you spelled "defence" wrong. In proper English (and Canadian) spelling, there is no "s" in "defence". (...or "offence")

I tend to use American spelling so not as to confuse most of the people on this discussion group.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 22:45:47 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217757

Incorrect, Middle English spells defense as "defence". That would be the proper "true" British way.

So Quadibloc was right on the dime.

Well the middle english manuscripts I came across used defence anyways. Consistently too, defense wasn't used once.

EDIT:
kishy made me realize I had it backwards, I guess I should read more carefully next time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 23:00:27 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 23:03:36 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217758
kicked your ass in a war you started: check (War of 1812 - Americans lost the first war they ever fought! unbelievable)

dude! at least read wikipedia before posting such things!

-war of 1812 was started by the british (yea, go google it, thank you) - the US was actually neutral in the war between england and france, of which the 1812 war was but a small sideshow. The brits were at war with france at the time, if you remember your history. The issue was with the british policy of impressment (look it up),  their seizing american ships travelling to france, their blockading american ports, etc)

-oh yea, and in the meanwhile, "canada" (actually part of the british dominion at the time) decided to invade the US for the british (yea, go look it up). The US and the british had various skirmishes along the us-'canada' border, including 'canada' occupying Maine (go look it up)

-because of the british blockade of american ports, certainly one way for the US to put pressure on the british at the time was to threaten its north american dominion (which had occupied maine (then part of massachusetts) and causing other grief). However canadians to this day like to imagine themselves to have (for some reason) 'narrowly escaped' an 'american invasion' of their country. Probably left-leaning canadians who love to imagine the US as some kind of evil bogeyman. Sorry, but canada hadnt even been invented yet in any contemporary sense. This was the US vs the British in a war the british started as a sideshow to their war with France (and napolean).

-"lost" the war? where'd you read that? Is that what they're teaching you in canada? Lets see, kicked british ass at new orleans (whcih effectively ended the war, by the way, thank you andrew jackson), successful defense of fort mchenry against the entire british fleet (jeez), a success that inspired our national anthem.

-So what 'loss' are you coming up with? The burning of the white house? But why did the british make the detour to DC on their way to the much more strategically important port of baltimore? have you ever thought about that? It was in retaliation for the americans burning down the governors mansion (and parliament building) in York (today's toronto) in one of those northern skirmishes with the brits. In other words, it was a 'tit for tat' by the british after the americans had humiliated them first. After burning it down the british vacated DC, they had no other interest there. It was pure retaliation for York. The american sec of defense was understandably sacked, and the new secretary successfully defended fort mchenry against the entire british fleet at baltimore.  So - is that what you're calling the 'loss' of the war? dude, read wikipedia at the very least.

-Do you realize the treaty after the war returned everything to the status quo? And the british ended the practices that led to the war? yea, some 'loss'. So here a brand new nation, with scarcely any army, no navy to speak of, took on the mightiest empire on earth (for a second time), and won (in a war that even at the time people referred to as 'the second war of independence'). If all you remember is that the white house was burned, you've missed the bigger picture.

not stupid enough to join illegal Iraq war: check

well full credit to canada for that, no argument here; it took an election for us to fix things.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 23:18:59 by wellington1869 »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 00:21:09 »
This arguement is nill, when you throw in that if you have a US passport(thereby saying you are an american citizen) and you get in trouble in WTF North Korea Krazy ville. You can have in my opinion the best President of my time come in and bail your ass out. When queen elizabeth or some duke of york or whatever whales count cocola does that for a British citizen then the UK can be on the same island of cool as the US.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 03:39:47 »
Quote from: quadibloc;217575
I take the other point of view on this issue. I'll explain why.

Although its official name has changed, at one time Brazil's official name was Los Estados Unidos do Brazil. The United States of Brazil. Canada is The Dominion of Canada. West Germany was the Bundesrepublik Deuchtsland, the Federal Republic of Germany.

Thus, following that pattern, a name like The United States of America would seem to imply that the country is America, and it happens to be a United States; that's its form of government. (It's also a Republic, of course, but there's no reason why two terms can't apply to its form of government.)

It can be called "The United States", just as Canadians once occasionally referred to their country as "The Dominion" in some contexts, or as Americans will sometimes call their country "The Republic", as in a sentence like "Corruption in government is a threat to the well-being of the Republic". This, however, is synecdoche: the name of a part (or, in this case, an attribute or quality) is used as the name of the whole. (Synecdoche is said to be a case of metonymy; however, in metonymy, the name of the whole is used as the name of a part or a quality, so it would seem that synecdoche is metonymy in reverse. However, I may not be understanding the references I hastily consulted, not being well enough acquainted with the classical figures of speech.)

But what about the fact that South America isn't part of the U.S.A.?

North, South, and Central America, in English, are known as "The Americas", and never as America. (In some of the Romance languages, such as French and Spanish, however, this is not true, so in those languages there is an issue.)

Still, this part of the world is called the Americas because of a map by Amerigo Vespucci.

There are other names for it as well.

For example, the television network CBS is called the Columbia Broadcasting System. Because the United States is part of the New World, which became known to Western Civilization as a result of the voyage of Christopher Columbus.

With the possible exception of Quebec, all of Canada is British, and Guyana and Jamaica and the Turks and Caicos Islands are other present or former British colonies still within the Commonwealth.

Yet, one Canadian province calls itself British Columbia, and no one objects that this is unfair to Jamaicans or Ontarians.

And, of course, there is the República de Colombia.

If we're going to object to the United States being America, because that name includes three continents, doesn't exactly the same objection apply to Colombia? Aren't they unfairly stealing our name?

No. The United States of America is America, just as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the République Française is France. And people will just have to deal with it.

Quote from: Rajagra;217701

We don't have the same problem in EU... you can call a EU citizen for a European... but you can not only call people in EU for Europeans since their is European countries that isn't a part of EU (Norway for example). So instead we call the different EU citizens for what state they come from.

With that reasoning we could argue that the we should call each person in USA for the name on the state they come from. So a person from Texas should be known as a Texacain and a person from Florida should be known as a Floridainian ... :)

But ok.. EU isn't a own country (yet. but it seems like many of the EU countries leaders want it to be that way. :P ), but USA didn't function as single country either from the beginning. And still doesn't do in many ways, with separate laws in different states an so on...
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 06:41:54 »
Quote from: zmurf;217794
With that reasoning we could argue that the we should call each person in USA for the name on the state they come from. So a person from Texas should be known as a Texacain and a person from Florida should be known as a Floridainian ... :)
Well, in the U.S., people are referred to, at times, as Texans and Floridians - or Californians, or Montanans, or Idahoans.

But it is the United States as a whole that issues currency, postage stamps, and makes war. Which is pretty well the bottom line on what constitutes a country: something that issues passports and has a foreign policy.

Offline mike

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 06:57:12 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217766

-war of 1812 was started by the british (yea, go google it, thank you) - the US was actually neutral in the war between england and france, of which the 1812 war was but a small sideshow.

I did Google for it ... strangely everywhere points out it was the US who declared war on the British, and the US who invaded Canada first!
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 07:48:01 »
We're the most populous nation on this continent, we win.

All you European's are Chinese as far as I'm concerned.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline mike

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 08:16:43 »

One of the most puzzling thing about Americans is how they keep talking about donkeys :)
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 08:33:52 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217766

-war of 1812 was started by the british (yea, go google it, thank you) - the US was actually neutral in the war between england and france, of which the 1812 war was but a small sideshow. The brits were at war with france at the time, if you remember your history. The issue was with the british policy of impressment (look it up),  their seizing american ships travelling to france, their blockading american ports, etc)

-oh yea, and in the meanwhile, "canada" (actually part of the british dominion at the time) decided to invade the US for the british (yea, go look it up). The US and the british had various skirmishes along the us-'canada' border, including 'canada' occupying Maine (go look it up)

-because of the british blockade of american ports, certainly one way for the US to put pressure on the british at the time was to threaten its north american dominion (which had occupied maine (then part of massachusetts) and causing other grief). However canadians to this day like to imagine themselves to have (for some reason) 'narrowly escaped' an 'american invasion' of their country. Probably left-leaning canadians who love to imagine the US as some kind of evil bogeyman. Sorry, but canada hadnt even been invented yet in any contemporary sense. This was the US vs the British in a war the british started as a sideshow to their war with France (and napolean).

-"lost" the war? where'd you read that? Is that what they're teaching you in canada? Lets see, kicked british ass at new orleans (whcih effectively ended the war, by the way, thank you andrew jackson), successful defense of fort mchenry against the entire british fleet (jeez), a success that inspired our national anthem.

-So what 'loss' are you coming up with? The burning of the white house? But why did the british make the detour to DC on their way to the much more strategically important port of baltimore? have you ever thought about that? It was in retaliation for the americans burning down the governors mansion (and parliament building) in York (today's toronto) in one of those northern skirmishes with the brits. In other words, it was a 'tit for tat' by the british after the americans had humiliated them first. After burning it down the british vacated DC, they had no other interest there. It was pure retaliation for York. The american sec of defense was understandably sacked, and the new secretary successfully defended fort mchenry against the entire british fleet at baltimore.  So - is that what you're calling the 'loss' of the war? dude, read wikipedia at the very least.

-Do you realize the treaty after the war returned everything to the status quo? And the british ended the practices that led to the war? yea, some 'loss'. So here a brand new nation, with scarcely any army, no navy to speak of, took on the mightiest empire on earth (for a second time), and won (in a war that even at the time people referred to as 'the second war of independence'). If all you remember is that the white house was burned, you've missed the bigger picture.

Wow, you Americans really like to rewrite history to hide shame. Nothing must interfere with the delusional belief that you "Never lost a war". I don't need to consult Wikipedia. I took history in university, studied Canada/US relations (I don't think Americans even have a course on that) and have many history books written in the late 1800's. I took a particular interest in the War of 1812. Here, I'll read you a passage:

"The calm verdict of history finds much ground of extenuation for the revolt of 1776; but for the American declaration of war in 1812, little or none. A reckless Democratic majority wantonly invaded the country of an unoffending neighbouring people, to seduce them from their lawful allegiance and annex their territory. The long and costly conflict was alike bloody and barren. The Americans annexed not a single foot of territory. They gained not a single permanent advantage. Their seaboard was insulted, their capitol destroyed. Their annual exports were reduced from £22,000,000 to £1,500,000. Three thousand of their vessels were captured. Two-thirds of their commercial class became insolvent. A vast war-tax was incurred, and the very existence of the Union imperilled by the menaced secession of the New England States. The "right of search" and the rights of neutrals - the ostensible but not the real causes of the war - were not even mentioned in the treaty of peace."

That sounds like losing to me.

Do you realize that even your national anthem is about the War of 1812? I bet less than 1% of Americans know that.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 09:00:00 »
Wow, Brits/Canadians sure have a different view of history than is taught to Americans. lol  Pretty interesting.    The part about our national anthem and it being created as a result of the war of 1812 was sort of his whole point that we won that war...how could you have missed it?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 09:49:44 »
Quote from: chimera15;217830
Wow, Brits/Canadians sure have a different view of history than is taught to Americans. lol  Pretty interesting.    The part about our national anthem and it being created as a result of the war of 1812 was sort of his whole point that we won that war...how could you have missed it?

The "bombs bursting in air" were bombs landing on the Americans. Sure, "the flag was still there" in the morning - something to sing and be happy about if you've spent the night getting bombed, I guess. But I would not say it's a victory to start a war, then spend the next few years getting your ass beaten so badly that you have to be relieved that your flag is still flying in the morning.

Using your definition of winning, Iraq won the war in 1991.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 09:52:34 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217839
The "bombs bursting in air" were bombs landing on the Americans. Sure, "the flag was still there" in the morning - something to sing and be happy about if you've spent the night getting bombed, I guess.

lol! dude, you have a much higher opinion of america than americans do, if you think we're so powerful that we cant even be attacked. (what a strange definition of american strength, btw). On that point again, you might want to brush up on history ;)

I smell a straw man.

And yea, repelling the greatest navy in the world (which the brits had at the time), at a time when the US didnt even have a navy and barely had an army, was seen as a really big deal, not only in the US but also in britain  (thats when they decided to try the back door thru new orleans - which didnt work out so well either). In N.O, the greatest army in the world (which britain had at the time) was repelled by a hodge-podge collection of local american militias under andrew jackson's command).
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:02:44 by wellington1869 »

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:04:14 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217840
lol! dude, you have a much higher opinion of america than americans do, if you think we're so powerful that we cant even be attacked. (what a strange definition of american strength, btw). On that point again, you might want to brush up on history ;)

I never said that. My point is, if you start a war for a certain objective, utterly fail to achieve that objective and end up in grave peril for your own survival - that is NOT winning.

Iraq did exactly the same thing. They tried to invade Kuwait, got pushed back, lost all their gained land, ended up with their country bombed and huge losses. They did NOT win. Neither did the Americans in 1812. The parallel is exact.

Edit: You're just lucky an 1800's Canadian "George Bush equivalent" didn't come along to finish the job. :canada:
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:08:52 by mr_a500 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:09:53 »
look, i understand that you think america is 'evil bogeyman', that you've been taught this, and probably have thought this all your life. Thats fine; america's real strength is to allow itself to be open to criticism -- thats why we'll beat the fascist regimes (who you probably see as 'victims', lol) every time in the long run.

but if you want to score points with your lopsided argument, the war of 1812 is a bad example to use. Its generally seen as a victory for the US even though the status quo was returned after the war, because of the strength of the british army and navy which the US successfully repelled (and had some celebrated victories over, too). It galvanized the young america's sense of nationhood, it resulted in the creation of the american navy, it opened up the west and defined america's northern borders; it was a momentous war in terms of american sense of itself as a nation. Its hardly considered a loss. Militariliy it was a draw because american had no offensive capability at the time. But in terms of the changes it brought about for america, its generally seen as a huge victory.

so ya, feel free to hate or fear america as irrationally as you like, drawing selectively from history to  imbue your sense of moral (or other) superiority - thats your right. But this isnt the right example to try to use.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:14:12 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217846
so ya, feel free to hate or fear america as irrationally as you like, drawing selectively from history to  imbue your sense of moral (or other) superiority - thats your right. But this isnt the right example to try to use.

I think it's a perfect example.

I didn't say America is "evil bogeyman". I'm just calmly presenting a logical argument.

OK, OK.... America "won". They always "win". They can't possibly lose. Happy now? :wink:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:33:00 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217848

OK, OK.... America "won". They always "win". They can't possibly lose. Happy now? :wink:

i think my point was that going from one lopsided argument to another is precisely the problem with your approach ;)

why cant you take each situation on its own terms? instead of being so willing to tar entire nations with a single ("for/against") brush?  They "always" win? They "always" lose? Wars are rarely "completely" won or lost; most nations and people live in the vast gray area in between. If you cant deal with gray, thats a problem.  The left seems as incapable of dealing with gray as the right.

I mean, just look at konrad ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:35:48 by wellington1869 »

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:41:44 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217853
i think my point was that going from one lopsided argument to another is precisely the problem with your approach ;)

why cant you take each situation on its own terms? instead of being so willing to tar entire nations with a single ("for/against") brush?

I'm doing what now? I don't understand your comment. Where did I "tar entire nations with a single brush"?

All I said was that the US lost the War of 1812. I didn't say "I hate America" or "I'm against the US". I just said they lost. It's just a fact. No need to get all emotional and start saying I hate America. Don't be like George Bush and say, "You're either for us or against us."

Edit: Oh, you edited while I was typing. Now I need to reply to more stuff.

Quote from: wellington1869;217853
iThey "always" win? They "always" lose? Wars are rarely "completely" won or lost; most nations and people live in the vast gray area in between. If you cant deal with gray, thats a problem.  The left seems as incapable of dealing with gray as the right.

That "always win" comment was sarcasm (note the wink). Of course, there are degrees of winning and losing - but the War of 1812 was certainly one of the losing degrees for the US. I handle grey (Canadian spelling) areas just fine. The older you get, the more grey everything becomes. (...that's not a lame joke about hair)
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:47:45 by mr_a500 »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 10:49:37 »
We won every naval engagement against England but one, during the war of 1812, which is what the war was really about in the beginning.  We captured like 8 English vessels.  We hardly just got our buts kicked.  

The war was started because the English wouldn't recognize American citizens cause they were still pissed about losing the colonies, and kept abducting them.  They also wouldn't allow us to trade with France, who had helped us during the Revolution. The whole Canadian thing was really a side note, but mainly because the border was a disputed area, which was solved as a result of this war as well.  So America accomplished all it's goals in the end.  We handed the Brits another ass kicking on the seas, and resisted their invasion attempts.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 11:19:32 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 11:42:12 »
Quote from: ripster;217847
54-40 or FIGHT!  We'll let you keep Sarah Palin as a hostage.
Since I live in Edmonton, Alberta... ah, it's only at latitude 53° 34', so even this arctic area would become part of the United States.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 11:52:18 »
Quote from: chimera15;217818
We're the most populous nation on this continent, we win.

All you European's are Chinese as far as I'm concerned.

Chinese have a high standard(such as owning America) European's aren't allowed in the club, since euro's are considered part of the fat kid group and last to be picked for anything!

Offline mike

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 12:02:57 »
Quote from: chimera15;217858
We won every naval engagement against England but one, during the war of 1812, which is what the war was really about in the beginning.  We captured like 8 English vessels.  We hardly just got our buts kicked.

A grand total of less than 0.8% of the Royal Navy. Given the times, Britain would hardly have sent the brightest tools in the box to deal with a comparatively minor issue.

Incidentally Wikipedia lists the capture of just 5 Royal Navy ships (and 5 US Navy ships). I would guess that one of you is wrong.

To put it into context, the Royal Navy (whilst outnumbered) captured 21 ships in just one battle (The Battle Of Trafalgar in 1805).

The war was started because the English wouldn't recognize American citizens cause they were still pissed about loosing the colonies, and kept abducting them.

There's two sides to every story, and some of those "abducted" American citizens were deserters from the Royal Navy which given Britain was at war with France for the whole of the period in question, could well count as 'desertion in the face of the enemy' and be punishable by summary execution.

They also wouldn't allow us to trade with France, who had helped us during the Revolution.

International laws on blockades were not put into place until 1856, but Britain's blockade of France would have been more or less in compliance with those laws. Or to put it another way, shipping goods to a nation at war, is likely to make the enemy of that nation a touch grouchy. Would the US have behaved any differently in a similar situation ? I doubt it.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 12:24:20 »
Quote from: mike;217872
A grand total of less than 0.8% of the Royal Navy. Given the times, Britain would hardly have sent the brightest tools in the box to deal with a comparatively minor issue.

Incidentally Wikipedia lists the capture of just 5 Royal Navy ships (and 5 US Navy ships). I would guess that one of you is wrong.

To put it into context, the Royal Navy (whilst outnumbered) captured 21 ships in just one battle (The Battle Of Trafalgar in 1805).

There's two sides to every story, and some of those "abducted" American citizens were deserters from the Royal Navy which given Britain was at war with France for the whole of the period in question, could well count as 'desertion in the face of the enemy' and be punishable by summary execution.

International laws on blockades were not put into place until 1856, but Britain's blockade of France would have been more or less in compliance with those laws. Or to put it another way, shipping goods to a nation at war, is likely to make the enemy of that nation a touch grouchy. Would the US have behaved any differently in a similar situation ? I doubt it.

Even if that were all true, Britain was blockading, or even at war with France, who had saved the US during the revolution, so in attacking Britain, it was hardly unprovoked or needless. America was an ally of France then.

The percentage of Britain's fleet, which was mostly built by Americans because the British had raped America for wood, the same as it was doing for sailors, is hardly the point.  The fact is that a brand new country was able to go head to head, 1 on 1, and some cases outmatched even and sack British vessels.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 12:32:33 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline mike

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 13:31:46 »
Quote from: chimera15;217879
Even if that were all true,

So if it looks like your argument is weak, you accuse your opponent of lying ? There are more graceful ways of conceding defeat :)

Britain was blockading, or even at war with France, who had saved the US during the revolution, so in attacking Britain, it was hardly unprovoked or needless. America was an ally of France then.

You are aware of the Napoleonic wars ? Running during the period in question and considered over here to be a far more serious matter; whilst Britain probably wasn't in serious danger of annihilation (one of my supposed ancestors once said to the House of Lords "I do not say, my Lords, that the French will not come. I say only they will not come by sea.") but it was a far more serious matter than the war with the US. Which is why the British didn't allocate enough resources to that one.

The US an ally of France ? Perhaps a lukewarm ally. The US didn't fight in the Napoleonic Wars, unless you are a particularly paranoid conspiracy theory and regard the 1812 war as a cunning plan to pull the Royal Navy out of the English channel and allow Napoleon to invade Britain. More than a little unlikely.

the same as it was doing for sailors, is hardly the point.  The fact is that a brand new country was able to go head to head, 1 on 1, and some cases outmatched even and sack British vessels.

Or more accurately, a new nation was able to harass in a minor way the rag tail of the Royal Navy whilst the best men and ships of the line were busy elsewhere.

Of course if you look in a little more detail, things look a little worse for the US ... the Royal Navy was able to blockade most of the east coast whilst keeping trade flowing between New England (who opposed the war) and Europe allowing considerable resources to assist the defeat of Napoleon.

It seems that most serious historians regard the result of the war of 1812-15 as being inconclusive - neither side won or lost. The view that the US won by USians(!) and Canada won by Canadians seems to be a 19thC view - you're out of date :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 13:53:23 »
Quote from: mike;217896
So if it looks like your argument is weak, you accuse your opponent of lying ? There are more graceful ways of conceding defeat :)

why is the argument weak? the british were pressing americans into their navy, boarding our ships, and blockading ports, all intensely hostile actions against an officially neutral nation and continuing despite official complaints against them. That isnt provocation? How bizarre! I suppose in your imagination the US should have meekly accepted its subjects, its right to trade, and its ports being pulled back under English laws and English authority.

You forget in this era it is england that is the world's superpower, and unapologetically holding most of the world under its unapologetically imperial rule. Nice try passing that mantle off to the poor americans of 1812!

You are aware of the Napoleonic wars ? Running during the period in question and considered over here to be a far more serious matter; whilst Britain probably wasn't in serious danger of annihilation (one of my supposed ancestors once said to the House of Lords "I do not say, my Lords, that the French will not come. I say only they will not come by sea.") but it was a far more serious matter than the war with the US. Which is why the British didn't allocate enough resources to that one.

now who's making excuses?  They didnt allocate enough resources? Thats like saying "we lost the war because we didnt fight correctly". No ****!

The US an ally of France ? Perhaps a lukewarm ally.

the US and france were far better allies until the late 19th century, until well after the american civil war. You'll remember that even in the american civil war the english sent advisors and troops to aid the confederates against the union. Americans didnt forget that until wwI when the americans and english finally faced a common enemy (germany and the axis) together.

so until wwi, it was the US and the British that had the chilly relationship. The US and france meanwhile were the proud republics, even napoleans rise did little to hamper their sense of facing the  british empire together. Remember the louisiana purchase? Where do you think those american dollars went?

Napoleon turned out to be right on that one:

Napoleon Bonaparte, upon completion of the agreement, stated, "This accession of territory affirms forever the power of the United States, and I have given England a maritime rival who sooner or later will humble her pride."

Or more accurately, a new nation was able to harass in a minor way the rag tail of the Royal Navy whilst the best men and ships of the line were busy elsewhere.

i wonder how your countrymen, especially descendents of the fleets and divisions that invaded the US in 1812, will respond to you for calling these British regulars (which they were) a mere 'rag tail'.  I suspect you wont get much support from them on that one.

I understand you want to minimize what the americans achieved in their 'second war of independence',  but like a500, you're choosing the wrong example.

It seems that most serious historians regard the result of the war of 1812-15 as being inconclusive - neither side won or lost.

thats only true in terms of territory because the treaty of ghent proposed each side vacate conquered territory. It certainly isnt true in any other sense. The fact remains that the US defeated whole british divisions and fleets (baltimore and new orleans) often to the surprise of the british and the world, and came out of the war with its borders more secure than ever, having taken on the superpower of their age, without a standing navy of its own and with local militias rather than the well trained regulars the british possessed.  If you have issues with accepting that, that really isnt history's problem :)  You can take consolation in the fact that Britain continued to rule the rest of the world with its brutal empire for another 150 years -- if thoughts of empire console you so.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 14:39:32 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 14:04:04 »
I also rather like that the american national anthem describes a momentous and successful defense, and not an offense. It makes the song much more appropriate as a national anthem. It invokes values like perserverence, and of standing steadfastly by basic american notions of personal liberty against the tyrrany of kings and ideologies.  

compare with england's national anthem, which praises the queen and implores her to continue ruling over them ;)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 15:01:59 »
The queen in britain actually doesn't really "rule". She just sits on her fat ass all day in her fancy palace.

Modern day kings and queens are a waste of taxpayer money.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline chimera15

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 15:09:13 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;217922
The queen in britain actually doesn't really "rule". She just sits on her fat ass all day in her fancy palace.

Modern day kings and queens are a waste of taxpayer money.

Except when the parliament completely fails like it did, like what, last year?  Then someone has to go beg her to put them in power.  lol

Also during yearly status updates she gets to say what she wants done with "Her government". lol
Alps boards:

Offline erricrice

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 15:46:25 »
So what's the point of all this again? Sorry, I forgot.
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 15:52:49 »
Quote from: ripster;217865
We'll give California, Texas and Arizonaback to the Mexicans.  Good riddance.

¿Qué si quiero seguir siendo americano? ¿Consigo guardar mis teclados, señor?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:01:10 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217827
Wow, you Americans really like to rewrite history to hide shame. Nothing must interfere with the delusional belief that you "Never lost a war". I don't need to consult Wikipedia. I took history in university, studied Canada/US relations (I don't think Americans even have a course on that) and have many history books written in the late 1800's. I took a particular interest in the War of 1812. Here, I'll read you a passage:

"The calm verdict of history finds much ground of extenuation for the revolt of 1776; but for the American declaration of war in 1812, little or none. A reckless Democratic majority wantonly invaded the country of an unoffending neighbouring people, to seduce them from their lawful allegiance and annex their territory. The long and costly conflict was alike bloody and barren. The Americans annexed not a single foot of territory. They gained not a single permanent advantage. Their seaboard was insulted, their capitol destroyed. Their annual exports were reduced from £22,000,000 to £1,500,000. Three thousand of their vessels were captured. Two-thirds of their commercial class became insolvent. A vast war-tax was incurred, and the very existence of the Union imperilled by the menaced secession of the New England States. The "right of search" and the rights of neutrals - the ostensible but not the real causes of the war - were not even mentioned in the treaty of peace."

That sounds like losing to me.

Do you realize that even your national anthem is about the War of 1812? I bet less than 1% of Americans know that.
wow a british book biased against the us...imagine that

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:18:10 »
Quote from: erricrice;217940
So what's the point of all this again? Sorry, I forgot.
I think it was people talking about educational books written in different countries are biased toward the country of the writer...

Offline erricrice

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:19:37 »

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline erricrice

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:21:04 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;217960
I think it was people talking about educational books written in different countries are biased toward the country of the writer...

Dang, you beat me to posting first...The point was at ricercar though...

And yeah, I agree, but I was just commenting on how the original topic had evolved into something that had basically nothing to do with the original topic.

Logitech G5[/FONT]

Offline mike

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:28:16 »
Quote from: wellington1869;217901
why is the argument weak?

I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I didn't say the arguments were weak; I questioned whether chimera15 felt his arguments were weak because he resorted to accusing me of lying. That's not the same thing at all.

the british were pressing americans into their navy, boarding our ships, and blockading ports, all intensely hostile actions against an officially neutral nation and continuing despite official complaints against them. That isnt provocation?

To quote myself, "there are two sides to every argument". Much of the provocations you list are perfectly justifiable actions by a nation at war; some even perfectly legal today (enforcing a blockade). I didn't say anything about which one I believed was justified --- "two side to every argument". Both sides had perfectly reasonable justifications for their actions.

You forget in this era it is the british that is the world's superpower, and unapologetically holding most of the world under its unapologetically imperial rule. Nice try passing that mantle off to the poor americans of 1812!

Try the end of the 19th century. At the beginning of the 19th century, Britain may have been one of the European powers, but certainly wasn't the world's superpower. Britain didn't really achieve naval supremacy until the Battle of Trafalgar; even so Britain's standing army was around 220,000 men whereas France had 2.5million under arms.

As to holding most of the world under a brutal imperialistic yoke, nice try, but that didn't happen until much later either :-

Wikipedia's map of the British Empire in 1815

now who's making excuses?  They didnt allocate enough resources? Thats like saying "we lost the war because we didnt fight correctly". No ****!

I was pointing out to chimera15 that yes, there was a war with France on at the time; a rather serious one. It was actually rather a sensible tactic to wait until Britain was distracted with France before going to war.

i wonder how your countrymen, especially descendents of the fleets and divisions that invaded the US in 1812, will respond to you for calling these British regulars (which they were) a mere 'rag tail'.  I suspect you wont get much support from them on that one.

I suspect most won't realise there was a war with the US in 1812; out of half a dozen history books I have covering the period (and the ones slanted in favour of British history), the war of 1812 is mentioned in the indices just once. It might be mentioned in the text itself as a passing thought.

To quote a Scottish newspaper editor questioned by Madison in 1814, "Half the people of England do not know there is a war with America and those who did had forgotten it".

I understand you want to minimize what the americans achieved in their 'second war of independence',  but like a500, you're choosing the wrong example.

Not really. The US survived which was a reasonable accomplishment, but hardly qualifies as winning the war.

thats only true in terms of territory because the treaty of ghent proposed each side vacate conquered territory. It certainly isnt true in any other sense. The fact remains that the US defeated whole british divisions and fleets (baltimore and new orleans)

The Battle for New Orleans is particularly interesting as it came after the Treaty of Ghent was signed. Whilst Andrew Jackson defeated the initial attack, the British forces remained in enough force to give him a bit of a headache (around 1,500 causalities out of a force of 15,000), but news of the treaty reached the forces putting an end to hostilities.

Did AJ defeat a British division ? Yes. Did he finish off a British division so that it was forced to retreat and unable to fight ? No.

If you have issues with accepting that, that really isnt history's problem :)  You can take consolation in the fact that Britain continued to rule the rest of the world with its brutal empire for another 150 years -- if thoughts of empire console you so.

Not really bothered. History is an entertainment for a lazy Sunday.

Please bear in mind that I'm not saying the US lost that war; merely that it didn't win it either.  Many of the justifications the US had for war in 1812 were over by 1815; amongst  other things :-

The British suspended impressment in 1812 before the US started the war. You won that one without a fight but fought anyway :)

The British had defeated Napoleon by 1814, meaning no more blockade of France so no need to interfere with American merchant shipping.

Neither side in 1815 had a strong reason to carry on fighting, although neither side had truly been defeated.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 17:39:12 »

Ruined global economy: check.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 18:38:58 »
Quote from: Rajagra;217991
Ruined global economy: check.

random insult having nothing to do with the thread randomly thrown at america, "just because": check