Author Topic: Animosity between USA and Canada  (Read 38005 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Animosity between USA and Canada
« on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 09:55:37 »
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall a time when there was really no animosity between Americans and Canadians. In fact, I suspect the animosity now was created by muckrakers like Michael Moore. What do you guys think?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 10:18:17 »
Damn illegals coming over, dey took hour jobs!

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 10:32:55 »
:)
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 10:35:26 »
Lol, well I was hoping for some serious responses but I guess this is good enough :D

Guess it's not as bad as I thought...at least I didn't get a flame war!

Offline audioave10

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 10:51:14 »
Any possible rift between the US and Canada, whether now or in the future, will solely be Ripster's fault.

DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 10:58:12 »
Quote from: ripster;217277
I think we have always hated Canadians since the Loyalists became traitors and went North.

No, the Loyalists were loyal... hence the name. The rebels (George Washington and his cronies) were traitors. Damn those traitors. Just think... all of North America could have been Canada.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 11:06:42 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217298
No, the Loyalists were loyal... hence the name. The rebels (George Washington and his cronies) were traitors. Damn those traitors. Just think... all of North America could have been Canada.

That would have been bad, then IBM would cease to exist!

A world without IBM is like a world without innovation. IBM created most of what a "computer" consists of today (especially DRAM by Robert Dennard, that's one of the most important inventions).

Typical Canadian Computing Setup
Show Image

I didn't know Canadians run their computers without processors (that looks like a pentium 3 slot or something).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline erricrice

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 11:57:07 »
I think we have always hated Canadians since the Loyalists became traitors and went North.
Show Image

Typical Canadian Computing Setup
Show Image

Dude I bet they get great temps with that setup.  I wish I could fill my computer with snow, but alas I am stuck here in steamy florida where the best I can do is submerge it in ice water =(
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 13:42:57 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;217275
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall a time when there was really no animosity between Americans and Canadians. In fact, I suspect the animosity now was created by muckrakers like Michael Moore. What do you guys think?

Oh Boy! Here we go again!

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:00:00 »
How can Americans tell Canada what to do when they can't even find it on a map?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:04:18 »
Quote from: ripster;217348
I like Michael Moore.
And anyway if Americans didn't tell Canada what to do it wouldn't be Canada anymore.

In "Bowling For Columbine" he essentially says that America should be more like Canada. I believe he says that in Sicko too. Personally I don't agree with his opinions, and BFC (the only movie of his I've seen) is really more sensationalism than facts. I also don't like when anyone says one country should be like another. Differences are good.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:07:06 »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:15:29 »
Quote from: kishy;217301
Canadian TV has a very long history of making fun of Americans, American "culture" and all sorts of Americanisms like not knowing where Canada is physically located relative to the US and the (should be but isn't) absolutely criminal idea that any private citizen should own a firearm.

Quote from: ripster;217348
And anyway if Americans didn't tell Canada what to do it wouldn't be Canada anymore.

Quote from: mr_a500;217350
How can Americans tell Canada what to do when they can't even find it on a map?

Quote from: keyboardlover;217351
In "Bowling For Columbine" he essentially says that America should be more like Canada. I believe he says that in Sicko too. Personally I don't agree with his opinions, and BFC (the only movie of his I've seen) is really more sensationalism than facts. I also don't like when anyone says one country should be like another. Differences are good.

Ok... now... Is not Canada situated on the American continent, hence being a part of America? Shouldn't Canadians then also be referred to as Americans? And so also Mexicans and Brazilians (Both on American continents... Mexico on the north continent but in an area that is called central America and Brazil on the south American continent... but still... America). Should not US citizens then be called something like "USA-dians" or "US-ans"? Not Americans. You wouldn't call only the people of, say France, for Europeans, and then call the rest of the Europeans for where they come from. :P    

humm
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:33:20 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:16:04 »
Canada is becoming more like the United States every day. It's actually like a corporate takeover. Corporations control the government in the US (you actually think you have a democracy down there?) and now they're finalizing their takeover of Canada. It all started in 1984, when Prime Minister Mulroney sold out the country.

So, actually, ripster is partly right. Americans do tell Canada what to do - but this is what has destroyed Canada and made it a franchise of corporate America. Do you want fries with that?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:19:01 by mr_a500 »

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:17:43 »
In my experience Canada and America tease each other but see eye to eye on most things and are close allies.  Except for when they act like hosers.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline zmurf

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:43:34 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217356
Canada is becoming more like the United States every day. It's actually like a corporate takeover. Corporations control the government in the US (you actually think you have a democracy down there?) and now they're finalizing their takeover of Canada. It all started in 1984, when Prime Minister Mulroney sold out the country.

So, actually, ripster is partly right. Americans do tell Canada what to do - but this is what has destroyed Canada and made it a franchise of corporate America. Do you want fries with that?

Isn't that more of a globalisation problem? The more all countries interact with each other and change their ways to comply with each other for making it easier to interact with each other, the more they become a big, equal entity. With little or no differences. And of course the big economic powers of the world will have the most influences ... all the ones that are dependent of the bigger once are going to change for the benefit for the bigger one... the bigger one don't want to change.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 14:43:44 »
Canada and the United States. When did they start bickering?

Well, in the Revolutionary War, as noted, those who didn't support rebelling against the British Crown despite the excesses of George III became United Empire Loyalists and moved to what would become Canada.

Then there was the War of 1812, when British forces from what would become Canada advanced as far as the White House, which was burned.

Some time later, a corrupt clique, known as the "Family Compact", took control of Canada's government. William Lyon Mackenzie, crusading publisher of the Colonial Advocate, opposed them, and in May of 1826, his printing press was smashed in a politically-motivated attack which the authorities failed to prosecute. However, he was able to sue the perpetrators for damages.

Years afterwards, though, unsatisfied with what he achieved for Canadian democracy, he took part in an armed insurrection, the Upper Canada Rebellion, which was in part supported by forces from the United States. He was eventually allowed back into Canada when an amnesty for those involved in the rebellion took place.

Around 1844, the slogan "54° 40' or fight" caused friction between our two countries, but things ended up being settled amicably, and so Western Canada extends all the way down to the 49th Parallel, which allows Canadians to actually grow food there.

Then, in 1867, Canada was born through the union of Upper Canada (Ontario) with Lower Canada (Quebec) and Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. (Although the meetings were held in Charlottetown, in Prince Edward Island, it took another four years before that province joined up.)

Our constitution was called the British North America act, as while mainland Canada was known as "The Canadas" before Confederation, we hadn't quite decided for sure what we were going to call our new country.

Since Confederation, Canada and the United States have been at peace.

We regarded Britain as our mother country, and republican ideas as radical and subversive for many decades in the early life of our country.

We envied the greater wealth of the United States.

But it wasn't until Pierre Elliot Trudeau came along that we had a Prime Minister who decided that TV shows like Mission: Impossible and American magazines like the Reader's Digest were brainwashing Canadians, so that they were unable to see the genius of Mao Tse-Tung in going around and slaughtering all the landlords.

Elements of the Canadian intelligentsia, thus, have been encouraged since then to become dupes of world Communism, sadly. The great masses of ordinary Canadians are presumably suffering this in silence, even as the great masses of ordinary Americans supported Spiro Agnew in similar silence.

Of course, even Canadians who warmly applaud our contribution to the war effort in Afghanistan are occasionally dismayed by some American actions.

Thus, there was the trade dispute over softwood lumber.

And there was the 1981-1983 Florida hostage crisis.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 15:31:51 »
Americans get back bacon, poutine, good beer, Rush, and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Canadians get television, money, and their armed forces from the US.

It all evens out.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline zmurf

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 15:47:03 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;217377
good beer

Aaah.. but you see. There is where you are wrong... Cause that comes from Ireland...
AND, it ALSO comes from: (Thada!) Ireland! ... :)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:00:31 »
Quote from: zmurf;217380
Aaah.. but you see. There is where you are wrong... Cause that comes from Ireland...
AND, it ALSO comes from: (Thada!) Ireland! ... :)

And Germany, and Czech Republic (If you like Pilsners)

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:08:31 »
And Denmark.

But anything is better than American beer (except for a handful of good microbreweries, and a few things from Abita).
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Lanx

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:09:54 »
I heard tourists get more leeway and less animosity if they say they are from Canada as opposed to the US, if the tourists are visiting Europe.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:15:44 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;217386
And Denmark.

But anything is better than American beer (except for a handful of good microbreweries, and a few things from Abita).

Yes that's true. The American beer that everyone knows about is **** but nearly every state has good microbreweries (there's many good ones in mine).

Offline zmurf

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:21:17 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;217383
And Germany, and Czech Republic (If you like Pilsners)

Quote from: Phaedrus2129;217386
And Denmark.

No no! ALL good beer are from Ireland... the rest is just moderately good... except beer from the US... that is probably just water with some beer flavour in it...
;)

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:23:27 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:34:07 »
🍉

Offline chimera15

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:34:09 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;217377
Americans get back bacon, poutine, good beer, Rush, and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Canadians get television, money, and their armed forces from the US.

It all evens out.

We got Mike Meyers, and 99% of any potential tv/movie stars from Canada, so I think we're ahead.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:40:13 »
Quote from: zmurf;217391
No no! ALL good beer are from Ireland... the rest is just moderately good... except beer from the US... that is probably just water with some beer flavour in it...
;)

We used to joke that American beer was the piss from an Irishman after drinking a good beer.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 16:40:33 »
Quote from: kishy;217301
Canadian TV has a very long history of making fun of Americans, American "culture" and all sorts of Americanisms like not knowing where Canada is physically located relative to the US and the (should be but isn't) absolutely criminal idea that any private citizen should own a firearm.

Yeah like Canadians are so non violent and evolved.  Club any baby seals lately?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 17:01:23 »
Quote from: zmurf;217355
Ok... now... Is not Canada situated on the American continent, hence being a part of America? Shouldn't Canadians then also be referred to as Americans? And so also Mexicans and Brazilians (Both on American continents... Mexico on the north continent but in an area that is called central America and Brazil on the south American continent... but still... America). Should not US citizens then be called something like "USA-dians" or "US-ans"? Not Americans. You wouldn't call only the people of, say France, for Europeans, and then call the rest of the Europeans for where they come from. :P    

humm

I've seen this kind of comment before - usually by confused Europeans.

No, that's not the way it works. People from the USA are called Americans. Canadians can be called "North Americans", but never "Americans".

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 17:06:17 »
The USA is the only country in the "Americas" whose common name (even if by abbreviation) contains the word "America". A few countries may have America in the formal name, but are not referred to as such.

Because of this, the name "American" is most aptly applied to those who are citizens of the United States of America.

Besides, what would you call Americans if not Americans? United Statsians? USans? You can call someone from Canada a Canadian, or someone from Mexico a Mexican, or someone from Peru a Peruvian, but someone from the US can only be called American.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 18:58:47 »
Michael Moore is a loser.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 19:09:37 »
Merkins love signs...

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 20:18:40 »
Quote from: ripster;217441

Show Image

Never take that Dildo Tour. You'll get ****ed.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 21:37:57 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217484
Never take that Dildo Tour. You'll get ****ed.

Thanks for the good laugh!

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 21:39:32 »
Quote from: ripster;217441

Actually I have a friend that's a Newfie.  Now THERE'S a goldmine of jokes.

I have heard so many of these Newfie jokes. That's said, Newfies tend to be more laidback. I would like to visit Newfoundland one day, but....not in winter.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:05:18 »

I like these guys...
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:08:14 by audioave10 »
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:13:43 »
Quote from: ricercar;217353
Show Image
The world's second largest country by total area, if largely uninhabitable.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:17:03 by TexasFlood »

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:35:18 »
it looks like alaska and the lower 48 are doing canada at both ends to me

Offline chimera15

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:53:03 »
There's no up in space

Alps boards:

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 23:00:42 »
Quote from: mr_a500;217405

No, that's not the way it works. People from the USA are called Americans. Canadians can be called "North Americans", but never "Americans".

I couldn't agree more, I heard other people with the "american" nonsense. People from the united states are AMERICANS, period.

Quote from: chimera15;217517
There's no up in space

Show Image

"up" would be considered the north pole, and all of space that occupies that upper half (infinity, sure).
"down" would be considered the soul pole, and also all the space that occupies that half.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline chimera15

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 23:05:15 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;217520
I couldn't agree more, I heard other people with the "american" nonsense. People from the united states are AMERICANS, period.

"up" would be considered the north pole, and all of space that occupies that upper half (infinity, sure).
"down" would be considered the soul pole, and also all the space that occupies that half.

Why? Those definitions are arbitrary.  North and south is meaningless in space, as is up and down.  You could define + and - like on a battery, or magnet but which side of a battery or magnet is up?  It's completely in your mind.  Up as a measurement is a distance away from an object, not a positional reference for the object.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 23:14:53 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 23:17:09 »
the magnetic north pole is actually the south pole anyway

Offline zmurf

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 03:34:37 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;217520

Quote from: mr_a500;217405

Quote from: Phaedrus2129;217408
The USA is the only country in the "Americas" whose common name (even if by abbreviation) contains the word "America". A few countries may have America in the formal name, but are not referred to as such.

Because of this, the name "American" is most aptly applied to those who are citizens of the United States of America.

Besides, what would you call Americans if not Americans? United Statsians? USans? You can call someone from Canada a Canadian, or someone from Mexico a Mexican, or someone from Peru a Peruvian, but someone from the US can only be called American.

No.. I'm not confused... I know that the common way is to call US citizens for Americans. But I still think it's wrong. I can't think of any other case where you call a habitant of a certain country for the name of the continent AND there's other countries on that continent (eg. you call Australian for their continent name.... but then again.. there is no other countries on that continent). In other parts of of the world we sometime have to refer to all countries and citizens of a whole continent. And when we then say the people in America we sometimes don't just mean the people in the US. Actually, at my work, we so often have to differ between this so I have gotten accustomed to call people that live in the US for "US citizens". So if I talk about people that live in North America I would of habit personally say Canadians and US citizens (Like most other people on my job would)... And so far no one have complained on the distinction (I have never met an US citizen that said "No... I'm an American" when I have called him/her for an US citizen...).
And for making it clear, this is only on my job. Most Swedes don't to this kind of distinction. (On my job we also use American For both continents. But most often we differ between the different parts of America, so if we talk with an US citizen or Canadian we say "North American", if we talk about a Mexican or a Panamanian we would say "Central American", and if we talk about a Brazilian or Columbian we would call him "South American").

The reason for our very distinct way to differ between this is because we work against different standards that more or less force us to be very precise of who and what part of America (Or for that part, the world) we are talking about.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:02:17 »
Quote from: zmurf;217553
No.. I'm not confused... I know that the common way is to call US citizens for Americans. But I still think it's wrong. I can't think of any other case where you call a habitant of a certain country for the name of the continent AND there's other countries on that continent (eg. you call Australian for their continent name.... but then again.. there is no other countries on that continent).
I take the other point of view on this issue. I'll explain why.

Although its official name has changed, at one time Brazil's official name was Los Estados Unidos do Brazil. The United States of Brazil. Canada is The Dominion of Canada. West Germany was the Bundesrepublik Deuchtsland, the Federal Republic of Germany.

Thus, following that pattern, a name like The United States of America would seem to imply that the country is America, and it happens to be a United States; that's its form of government. (It's also a Republic, of course, but there's no reason why two terms can't apply to its form of government.)

It can be called "The United States", just as Canadians once occasionally referred to their country as "The Dominion" in some contexts, or as Americans will sometimes call their country "The Republic", as in a sentence like "Corruption in government is a threat to the well-being of the Republic". This, however, is synecdoche: the name of a part (or, in this case, an attribute or quality) is used as the name of the whole. (Synecdoche is said to be a case of metonymy; however, in metonymy, the name of the whole is used as the name of a part or a quality, so it would seem that synecdoche is metonymy in reverse. However, I may not be understanding the references I hastily consulted, not being well enough acquainted with the classical figures of speech.)

But what about the fact that South America isn't part of the U.S.A.?

North, South, and Central America, in English, are known as "The Americas", and never as America. (In some of the Romance languages, such as French and Spanish, however, this is not true, so in those languages there is an issue.)

Still, this part of the world is called the Americas because of a map by Amerigo Vespucci.

There are other names for it as well.

For example, the television network CBS is called the Columbia Broadcasting System. Because the United States is part of the New World, which became known to Western Civilization as a result of the voyage of Christopher Columbus.

With the possible exception of Quebec, all of Canada is British, and Guyana and Jamaica and the Turks and Caicos Islands are other present or former British colonies still within the Commonwealth.

Yet, one Canadian province calls itself British Columbia, and no one objects that this is unfair to Jamaicans or Ontarians.

And, of course, there is the República de Colombia.

If we're going to object to the United States being America, because that name includes three continents, doesn't exactly the same objection apply to Colombia? Aren't they unfairly stealing our name?

No. The United States of America is America, just as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the République Française is France. And people will just have to deal with it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:13:35 by quadibloc »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:39:08 »
Quote from: kishy;217499
Michael Moore kicks ass. If only all US citizens were like him mentally...the world might have some respect for the US as a nation...

I don't think that's true at all...I think the world would have more respect for the US if it wasn't for people like him. His movies are pure propaganda, and I think it's a shame how many people are duped by them. Propaganda is very good at inspiring nations to hate each other...after all, look at how Hitler used it to his advantage.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:42:39 »
Americans seem to like Canadian beer. I can't stand it. what they call Canadian Bacon in America isn't even close to what we have here. America gets a lot of steel and seafood from Canada.

you forgot Maple Syrup and the strippers in Montreal are overrated unless you like women with pubic hair, accents that irritate you and sound like a man.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:50:42 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:51:05 »
Americans seem to like Canadian beer. I can't stand it. what they call Canadian Bacon in America isn't even close to what we have here. America gets a lot of steel and seafood from Canada.

you forgot Maple Syrup and the strippers in Montreal are overrated unless you like women that sound like a man, have a lot of pubic hair and irritating accents.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:54:03 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 07:54:23 »

you forgot Maple Syrup and the strippers in Montreal are overrated unless you like women that sound like a man, have a lot of pubic hair and irritating accents.

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 08:17:15 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 08:17:44 »

you forgot Maple Syrup and the strippers in Montreal are overrated unless you like women that sound like a man, have a lot of pubic hair with irritating accents.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 09:22:41 by lmnop »