Author Topic: Three HHKB, want a fourth one, question about type-S  (Read 2247 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Three HHKB, want a fourth one, question about type-S
« on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 09:55:10 »
Hi all,

I've got three HHKB: one HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B) and two HHKB Pro JP (PD-KB420B). I'm mostly using the JP ones (in QWERTY mode, to get more modifiers keys and I like the tiny space bar: I find that easier to then reach for the modifiers left and right of the tiny spacebar with my thumbs, because precisely the spacebar is so tiny but whatever, this is not what this post is about).
Here are my babies if you're curious:
274325-0

These Topre switches are my favorite: I tried everything, Model M's for years (you can see my industrial Model M with M13 white on black keys on the picture), various flavors of Cherry MXes, but since ten years I'm a happy camper with my HHKB Pro.

Now...  I cannot find the PD-KB420B anymore, even in Japan (got someone there buying them for me then bringing them to Europe).  I only find a "BT" version with a battery: I don't like that.  I also don't like the price much: about 34 500 JPY / 270 EUR / 320 USD.  Pricey stuff!

I also find a "type S" version (price a bit more reasonable), hence my question...

How are the "type S" compared to the "good old" regular Topre switches?

I live across several countries and got many computers left and right and I'm tired of always having to move my HHKB Pro JPs with me, so I'd like to buy at least one more.  I may have to buy a Type-S as I find nothing else, so I'd like to have your advice on type S.

I'm not too keen on buying another brand/model as I'd rather keep the exact physical key layout I like (for example there are RealForce japanese keyboard, but the width of the spacebar is wider than on my HHKBs).

To make a long story short: is the type S very different compared to what I have?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 August 2021, 09:57:30 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Tactile

Re: Three HHKB, want a fourth one, question about type-S
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 10:40:42 »
I have both a Pro II and a Pro II Type S. I think the Type S is different enough it's worth having. In addition to being a bit more quiet, the silencing also gives it a slightly different feel. The keys feel more precise. If I turn my Pro II upside down and shake I can hear the caps "wobble", making a "chicklet" sound. The Type S doesn't do this and when using it the keys just have a different feel because of less wobble. I like both of my HHKB but the Type S is my favorite just because of the typing feel.

Just my opinion...
REΛLFORCE

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 07:53:48 »
I have both a Pro II and a Pro II Type S. I think the Type S is different enough it's worth having. In addition to being a bit more quiet, the silencing also gives it a slightly different feel. The keys feel more precise. If I turn my Pro II upside down and shake I can hear the caps "wobble", making a "chicklet" sound. The Type S doesn't do this and when using it the keys just have a different feel because of less wobble. I like both of my HHKB but the Type S is my favorite just because of the typing feel.

Just my opinion...

That's very interesting.  It's different but you'd say it's still "close" to the other?

Also another question, it's not a "cheaped out" version of the original Topre switch?  I mean: it's not something built on the cheap to reduce costs?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 09:49:05 »

Just my opinion...

That's very interesting.  It's different but you'd say it's still "close" to the other?

Also another question, it's not a "cheaped out" version of the original Topre switch?  I mean: it's not something built on the cheap to reduce costs?
Oh yeah, very close. They both have that Topre feel.

No, the Type S isn't a cost-reduced design. In fact, the way they tell it the more precise feel was the design goal, with silencing just something extra that happened. Here's a Google translate from a Fujitsu web page:

Code: [Select]
"HHKB Professional Type-S" released in June 2011 is an ambitious product with improved high-speed typing (Speedy) and quietness (Silent) by renewing the internal design of the capacitive non-contact type key.
By adjusting the keystroke from the conventional 4.0 mm to 3.8 mm and tightening the engagement of the drive unit, typing is possible at higher speeds and with less damage.
Furthermore, by incorporating a cushioning material inside the key, the keying sound is reduced by 30% (according to the measurement method specified by our company).
"HHKB Professional Type-S", which adds lightness to the comfort of typing, meets the needs of professionals who pursue speed.
REΛLFORCE

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 10:04:38 »
Great, I ll try to find one and see what gives !

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 11:07:02 »
The price though for a HHKB Pro JP type-S:   34 200 JPY / 265 EUR / 312 USD.

Geez... That is steep for a keyboard!

Offline stonedRabbit

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 19:26:32 »
The actual difference between regular hhkb and type-s should be only in sliders
Type S has thinner slider mount to make a room for a silencing ring, because otherwise additional thickness affect your rubber domes and they will be deformed
You may google this stuff if you are interested
HHKB Hybrid S - Tiffany Des domes 35g | Planck rev.6 - Hako Violet | Reviung41 - Gateron Silent Brown 35g

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 22:31:26 »
Not contributing to the main conversation, but...

I got my JP a few years back (I think it was a more reasonable price then) and I'm happy to see others are using it as well. I absolutely love mine, and actually used it at my dev job in JIS for a while. I think it needs more recognition  ;D
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u