Author Topic: IPhone 1st gen/4th gen  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:41:03 »
I just got an iPhone 4, and now I have 2 iPhones 1st gen (16 gig).

Any idea of what to do with the 2 1st gen iPhones? Jailbreak? Keep as extra iPods? Use as input device? Sell in Russia for big bucks?

I'm not planning on having phone service, but they have wi-fi.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:47:17 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline WhiteRice

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:47:55 »
Sell them.

Or get some docks and make some voip phones around the house.

Offline Input Nirvana

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:52:45 »
Sell one, voip one....nice idea
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Oqsy

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 18:13:33 »
they make fun input devices for computers...  i would use one for scroll :P   most expensive scrolling device in the world :D
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Input Nirvana

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 18:48:54 »
scroll via bluetooth?

Offline Oqsy

Offline Input Nirvana

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 19:39:07 »
Thank you Oqsy   :)

Offline Oqsy

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 20:17:04 »
I'm sure there are other, better apps out there, but that's a good start anyway to see if you like using one as a pointing device / scroller :D

Offline chimera15

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 20:25:22 »
Yeah, jailbreak. That's what I'd do with my ipod touch if I could afford a new one.  The gen 2 ones won't allow bluetooth keyboards even though the 3rd gen ones will.  I'm really pissed about that, even when upgraded to os4.  Os4 basically doesn't help a gen 2 ipod much at all.  Jailbroken ones I guess can use a bt keyboard which makes it even more stupid.

Friggen apple.  Even my old tapwave zodiacs can have bt keyboards.

That, no flash, and the resistive touch screen really make me wish I had never bought the damn thing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2010, 20:28:51 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 00:52:22 »
Give one to me next time you're back in my neck of the woods. I'd love to play with an iPhone/iPod Touch.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 06:59:10 »
I posted this a couple of weeks ago when I found a new purpose for my old Pre.

Offline Input Nirvana

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 11:08:14 »
I'm jailbreaking both of them, sell one, see what cool and interesting things can happen with the other. I can't jailbreak my iPhone 4, I'm starting to use some Apples fledgling business services, and can't risk any problems.

P.S.- Anyone can save their childish Apple bashing reply this post. I'm not asking for it, so don't offer it. If you don't use their business services, you don't know anything anyway. On the other hand, if you are also currently being courted by their business services division, and know the secret word, pm me so we can share notes. :)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 17:10:29 »
I've got legit reasons to dislike Apple. First off, most important here on this forum, is the fact that they make ****ty keyboards. Second, their products are overpriced for the most part. And third, they're overly controlling.

That's one reason why I use Windows 3.1. Nobody's restricting it. No anti-piracy. No lawyers knocking on your door.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 18:06:16 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;220517
I've got legit reasons to dislike Apple. First off, most important here on this forum, is the fact that they make ****ty keyboards. Second, their products are overpriced for the most part. And third, they're overly controlling.

That's one reason why I use Windows 3.1. Nobody's restricting it. No anti-piracy. No lawyers knocking on your door.

Have you ever used software that resulted in lawyers knocking on your door?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 18:20:14 »
Nope. But have you ever heard of illegally downloading music? People've downloaded only a few songs and these crooks in the recording industry sue them for thousands and get away with it.

When you actually buy songs from Apple though, from last I heard, they got that DRM stuff which makes you basically pay money to listen to the song on one i-Pod for a set amount of time and then you got to renew it. And, if your i-Pod broke, you got to buy all new songs.

It's amazing how lousy those people in Crapple really are and the kind of stuff they bury in those license agreements.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 18:31:23 »
With the iTunes store, you were able to play the songs on a number (think it was 5) of registered iPods or PCs/Macs running iTunes. There was a system in place to deregister all your systems and re-register them if one of your computers or iPods died on you. There was no limit to the amount of times the song could be played. About 2-3 years ago, they scrapped DRM on their music store.

It's amazing how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2010, 18:33:51 by ch_123 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 19:01:19 »
It's just much easier to record your stuff off the radio.

Offline keyboardlover

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 20:33:54 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;220558
It's just much easier to record your stuff off the radio.

Problem with that is when you play it back it doesn't sound good.

Offline WhiteRice

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 September 2010, 21:21:03 »
What? Did someone say linux?

Offline instantkamera

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 September 2010, 07:39:10 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;220517

A guy named "Microsoft Windows" uses one of the defining arguments of the FOSS movement. Why? To defend his use of Windows 3.1.

l
o
l
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline keyboardlover

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 September 2010, 08:14:48 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;220541
When you actually buy songs from Apple though, from last I heard, they got that DRM stuff which makes you basically pay money to listen to the song on one i-Pod for a set amount of time and then you got to renew it. And, if your i-Pod broke, you got to buy all new songs.

It's amazing how lousy those people in Crapple really are and the kind of stuff they bury in those license agreements.

That DRM stuff isn't the case anymore. You can keep the songs forever and transfer as you like. You'd be surprised how much one learns when they live in the present!

Offline instantkamera

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 September 2010, 08:25:15 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;220687
That DRM stuff isn't the case anymore. You can keep the songs forever and transfer as you like. You'd be surprised how much one learns when they live in the present!

that's the problem. Dealing with current affairs generally requires learning/adapting one's knowledge to new things.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Input Nirvana

IPhone 1st gen/4th gen
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 September 2010, 17:25:05 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the input on old iPhone uses, which is what this thread is about.