Author Topic: Are long pole stems much different from standards one? (AKKO Radiant Red)  (Read 6784 times)

Offline laucamminh099@gmail.com

I come from a clicky board from China 3 years old, so I'm considering going for an upgrade. I did try an AKKO board with AKKO pinks v2, but had to return due to some issue with bluetooth, and that had minimal wobble with ok smoothness. So now I'm going for the custom route, and the AKKO radiant red seems appealing. But I am not sure if the long pole would make a huge difference in sound or typing experience? I've heard some said that they can interfere with keycaps, but I'm not sure. If any here have tried them, I'd love to hear your opinion!  ;D

Offline Leopard223

First of all the interference you're talking about is with Cherry Profile keycaps, when using a Cherry Profile keycaps with a north facing PCB (LEDs are on top rather on bottom fo the switch orientatio), the middle row (Caps Lock row) will have interference with the switch housing, the keycap will hit the switch housing and prevent the switch from bottoming out thus causing a weird feeling and sound. 
AFAIK only Cherry Profile keycaps have this issue, so if you're not planning to use a Cherry set you'll be fine.

Long pole switches bottom out on the pole rather on the stem legs due to the length, this causing a side effect of having the stem stick out of the housing a bit raising the keycap lowest point thus solving the interference issue. 
Do note that some switches bottom out on the pole but aren't designed to stick out, the NK Creams are one example (Maybe they do by a fraction but not to the extent of making a difference).

I'm unsure whatever the Akko Switches bottom out on the pole, I'll assume they do or at least some of them due to the sound profile, but they are not sticking out, at least the samples I got - Ocean Blue, Lavender Purples and Matcha Greens, so they won't have any affect on Cherry Profile interference.

Offline laucamminh099@gmail.com

Thanks for the in depth explaination. Are you by chance having your hands on the KTT switches? They are on my list as well although I think they are going to be on the lighter side for me

Offline Leopard223

Thanks for the in depth explaination. Are you by chance having your hands on the KTT switches? They are on my list as well although I think they are going to be on the lighter side for me
I don't have any experienc with any KTT switches, they make a lot of switches btw.