Author Topic: Heavy switch recommendation  (Read 1292 times)

Offline 9gel

• Trying to make it
Heavy switch recommendation
« on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 21:46:28 »
For a use case I need heavy switches, tactile or clicky. Recommendations?

Kailh Box Navy (x NovelKeys) works (60g operating, 90g bottom), but somehow they don't sell in volume...

Any other switches that are heavy?
Daily Driver: MakerDiary m60; Kailh box silent brown; ASCII control character code SA keycaps; wooden casing || chonkerkeys.com

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Heavy switch recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 21:53:10 »
You can get box navies from other stores, plenty of vendors have them in reasonable quantities

Offline Chalkboard

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 21:55:07 »
Hako Royal Clear/True
Speed navy

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 22:08:11 »
https://www.spritdesigns.com/product-page/box

As long as you don't mind swapping the springs out yourself...
TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline 9gel

• Trying to make it
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 01:05:10 »

Have you encontered any issues with your Sprit 100g? How long have you used it for? Would it crack the plastic because of too much force?
Daily Driver: MakerDiary m60; Kailh box silent brown; ASCII control character code SA keycaps; wooden casing || chonkerkeys.com

Offline Volny

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 08:12:53 »

Have you encontered any issues with your Sprit 100g? How long have you used it for? Would it crack the plastic because of too much force?

I don't think that's possible. I have some 90g springs, and they still feel weak. I can barely tell the difference between them and lighter (eg. 75g) springs. As in, yes, I can tell the difference if I compare them side by side, and I wouldn't want to use them for my alphas, but they still just feel like regular keyboard springs (ie. easy to press even with a pinky). I think you'll have to go waaaaaay heavier before you need to worry about anything getting damaged.

I put a super heavy spring into a switch once out of curiosity. It's just a spring I found in a drawer - no idea where it was originally from, but it definitely was never intended for switches, and was a bit larger. At a very rough estimate, I'd say it was maybe 450g? You could rest your palm on it and it wouldn't budge; to press it required actual physical effort. I might use it one day for something I really, really don't want to hit by accident - like a reset firmware key or something. Anyway, that one felt like it might do a little damage to the switch in the long term, if I pressed it enough times. But maybe not even. The switch certainly managed it with no problems for the day or two I had it in, and that spring was on a whole other level than any 'normal' springs like 90g or 100g.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 August 2021, 08:16:25 by Volny »