Author Topic: Are HHKB worth in 2021?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Mikhail

Are HHKB worth in 2021?
« on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 06:05:14 »
Hi! I got durock pom and og dyesubs.
Should I find any good topmount/gasket mount modern premium build of just buy hhkb silent?
Hhkb is ready to use thing, but I think cherry og dyesubs with Cyrillic is nicer to look, and for games linear switches is better. Need 60% only.

Offline Willtato

• I like small Keyboards
Re: Are HHKB worth in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 07:18:50 »
I should first mention that this is my opinion and may differ with others.

I personally find the HHKB to have a place still.

This hobby in my eyes is all about three things:
1) looks
2) sound
3) showing to people/pleasure of owning

I don't necessarily think that the third point is necessarily bad. It's just human nature, the same way people like to buy super large houses, expensive cars, expensive audio equipment etc...

I think that the HHKB is still one of the best looking keyboards. Also, when I first got it, I was seriously in love with the sound of my type-s, but now, it's not my favourite sound - it still sounds amazing, just I don't love it as much anymore.

Where I think the HHKB has its place is when you need a tool - if you're typing a lot, want something portable, but still want something which is considered great.
The best way that I can put it is this: when I eventually grow out of this hobby of customising, typing for the sound and feel etc... then I can see myself going back to the HHKB.

It's also worth mentioning that whatever keyboard you get your fingers accustomed to will pollute your experience with the HHKB. Moving from a tactile switch, being a simple brown, heavy tactile or even clicky, when typing on the HHKB, the feel will be a wonderfully light curve (which I can't really explain). However, moving from a linear to the HHKB will make the HHKB feel snappier, which wasn't as pleasurable as the prior experience imo (although people may want that snap).

So, if you're actively experimenting and exploring, then I'd personally recommend against the HHKB.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline Rafen

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 11:07:24 »
I love the look of the HHKB and will def get a premium build mx version when they are in stock again. I owned an HHKB when I first got into the hobby and sold it shortly after because I wasn't a fan of the Topre switches. If you can hold out for a premium build I would but, if you like Topre then I don't see a reason not to buy the board.

Offline stonedRabbit

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 18:53:35 »
HHKB is all about switches and layout
Topre is my favorite switch and I’m OK to pay for it
If you are not sure about the purchase try to type on the board and find out is it for you or not

As for scenarios of usage - hybrid covers all my needs.
I use it at work - typing on PC in wired mode, typing on my laptop/iPad/iPhone in wireless mode
Type S is silent enough to use in an office and do not disturb your colleagues
The design isn’t fancy, but for me it’s a tool, not a toy

I would definitely recommend to try this keyboard if you like topre switch and know how to work with 60% keyboard
Otherwise save your money and buy Anne Pro 2 or Kemove Shadow
HHKB Hybrid S - Tiffany Des domes 35g | Planck rev.6 - Hako Violet | Reviung41 - Gateron Silent Brown 35g

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 22:27:42 »
These two topics were next to each other in my feed; too much of a coincidence to not share.

Topic: Three HHKB, want a fourth one, question about type-S
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u