Author Topic: Stabilized keys moving when pressed on the edge.  (Read 922 times)

Offline lakiozoon

Stabilized keys moving when pressed on the edge.
« on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:26:55 »
Hi,

I have a problem when pressing the stabilized keys on their left/right edge. In my case it's only noticeable on the 2U stabilized keys (LShift, Enter, Backspace). Spacebar doesn't have the issue.

What happens is when I press the key on the edge it kinda drops down a bit on that side, so it's not perfectly level. It will remain like that until I press it on the opposite side. I figure it's because the keycap stem is somehow higher than the stabilizer stems.

BTW, I'm using PCB Everglide screw-in stabilizers.
After some examination, it does seem that the maximum height of the stabilizer stems is not reaching the keycap height, by a small margin. Also, it's noticeable only when using the EnjoyPBT cherry profile keycaps. My SA keycaps don't have that issue.

Have you experienced similar issues, and can you suggest the fix?
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:45:34 by lakiozoon »

Offline Tactile

Re: Stabilized keys moving when pressed on the edge.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:35:46 »
The fit of the cap on the stab stems isn't tight enough. Search both here & google for saran wrap mod or plastic wrap mod to learn how to tighten the fit.
REΛLFORCE

Offline lakiozoon

Re: Stabilized keys moving when pressed on the edge.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:46:56 »
Thanks, will do!

I edited the post as the issue is only noticeable on some keycaps that do have somewhat looser fit.

Cheers!

BTW, as you suggested, putting a small piece of thin foil on the stabilizer stems (1cm2) solved it like a charm!
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2021, 13:53:20 by lakiozoon »