Author Topic: [IC] GMK F—ckclones® UPDATED IC (25/4/22)  (Read 20227 times)

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
Re: [IC] GMK F—ckclones® UPDATED IC (25/4/22)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 17:50:05 »
As a fellow Korean, I highly want the word changed. Would never use a GMK set with it splattered on there.
Yes

Offline Tree_

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 18:49:16 »
Posting this 26 days too late but it's a good crack.

Offline stevenT

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 20:35:04 »
Personally, when it comes to novelties I prefer icon and symbol to text, colorway is good though, glwic.

Offline Influenced

• Portfolio Webpage
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 11:16:31 »
Your numpad is still wrong.

Fixed! let me know if its wrong or what i am missing heh :)

Offline irithyll

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 11:31:00 »
From a Korean point of view, the word '씨발' is too vulgar. I don't think any Korean will ever be able to use a product with that word on it... It's often used colloquially, but it's rarely used in written form.

100% agreed. Especially seeing it in the novelties, it feels so edgy and forced. I feel like only those that don't know the weight the word has will get them. But then again, this is nothing new.

Another Korean here. I definitely agree with the comments above. “씨발” really seems vulgar in the full written form (even Koreans abbreviate the word to ㅅㅂ and rarely write the whole word out). “씨발짝퉁” also just sounds out of place and more like a direct google translation of “f**k clones.”

Offline wangus

• Design @Worldgazer
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 01:41:20 »
I'm surprised this is getting so much hate. I prefer having lots of different flavors of grey sets in the queue to the overly colorful garbage or joke sets we've been seeing for a while now. There's a lot of "this looks like this set." Don't forget there's thousands of RAL's and Pantones, every grey isn't the same. I think we'd all love to see a color test to see how different or close it is to some of those sets. All of your Boneyard, Modo, Apollo, Ashes, etc. will be shined anyways. I personally think the contrast from the alphas and legends is pretty low, I'd love to see some dark legends or lightened alphas.

Offline santela

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 03:53:45 »
I actually don't dislike the colorway, I'm a muted colors guy, but it does remind people of all kinds of sets that are similar in color.

It's pretty much common knowledge that GMK won't run profanities or anything controversial. I think it would be best to come up with a different theme if you are set on the colorway. It's also really weird to have something on my keyboard that says **** clones, other than designers, most people in this hobby don't despise clones that much to actively try to make a statement on their keyboard.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 04:04:27 »
I'm surprised this is getting so much hate. I prefer having lots of different flavors of grey sets in the queue to the overly colorful garbage or joke sets we've been seeing for a while now. There's a lot of "this looks like this set." Don't forget there's thousands of RAL's and Pantones, every grey isn't the same. I think we'd all love to see a color test to see how different or close it is to some of those sets. All of your Boneyard, Modo, Apollo, Ashes, etc. will be shined anyways.
This set is weirdly self-conscious about clones without being that unique. Registered trademarks? ‘I can’t tell you the colours because people might clone my set’? I’m sure there are thousands of grey RALs and Pantones. But I can’t even tell you if this set uses unique ones... because it isn’t shared! When we can split hairs about whether this set is Ascii, Apollo, Seal PBT, Hooty etc., we should at least be told what colours are being used so we can do a comparison.

Colors can be copied, no one owns colors
Also weird when the designer says this and then won’t tell you the colours in fear of them being copied... :blank:
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline wangus

• Design @Worldgazer
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 10:31:56 »
100% agree about needing a color test. For example: Ashes and Apollo are closer to blue grey sets, Modo Light/2 are very neutral and Boneyard is so yellow/beige leaning that it looks brownish. I think splitting hairs on colors is fair and helps tell our stories.

Colors aside, I totally agree that the concept of the theme and color palette do seem removed from one another. I'm not into the language much, but I'd use this set if the grey's were "universal" or "timeless." I'd love to see this palette pushed in a more interesting way. Whether thats tone shifting warmer/colder or what. As we get more GMK sets out there, as a community, do we force people be more and more "original" over time until no new sets can be made? Just asking because I agree it's important that we evaluate honestly, but eventually will we have some overlap in sets?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2022, 10:33:49 by wangus »

Offline JHelsing

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 20:11:53 »
Isn't this just Terradrive but with the alphas and accent colors reversed and also made a bit lighter?
To be completely honest, I don't understand why this has to exist:
- The Koreans who understand the text believe that it's too vulgar and you haven't responded as to whether or not you are going to either defend your set or change it.
- The general community believes that this colorway had basically been done before and doesn't want it to clog the queue.
- I have no idea why there's a skull half mask character that you have as a mascot when this entire set is to object to clones.
- The set looks like a clone of other sets, is this a parody?

I feel like you have a few ways to get out of this predicament:
either:
 1. change the colors to something that hasn't been done before.
 2. make the set feel "unique" enough to justify its place (make it so even with these colors it's cool and different enough to justify purchase other than "the greys are different from other sets").
 3. change the theme of the set entirely, make it around the character or something else. Many people object to the theme and the Korean text, remove it and do something else.
 4. buy out the set so that it doesn't need a group buy stage, if so you don't have to deal with criticisms at all.

Right now the sentiment towards this set is very negative and it pertains to crucial cornerstones of the set: colors and theme. If you don't address these issues there's no chance in hell this will pass MOQ.

Offline krzank

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 16:34:45 »
Please add R4:Backslash/Pipe

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 12:34:26 »
I'm probably just a boomer but I don't get the reference LMAO.
The color scheme is some much needed copium for me, having missed Apollo. Kinda interested to see where the project is headed.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 13:52:29 »
While I think the deskmats are really good looking and edgy, I still cant understand the entire concept of this theme? How is the colors and theme anyways related to cloning sets?

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 07:07:36 »
There is no way a set that looks like modo, boneyard and apollo is called f*ck clones...

Offline selsik

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 07:56:45 »
I'm probably just a boomer but I don't get the reference LMAO.
The color scheme is some much needed copium for me, having missed Apollo. Kinda interested to see where the project is headed.

You're honestly better off buying an Apollo kit in the aftermarket than waiting for this one. We're talking about 2.5 years from now. No gray set is worth that wait for me.
Topre >>> MX

Offline hankyul33

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 23:58:00 »
This wasn't posted on April 1st tf?

Offline mars_wins

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 22:43:13 »
This is relevant to my interests.

Offline ShenKichin

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 17:39:26 »
I'm gonna clone this set so hard.

Offline jivex5k

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 17:08:00 »
bad