Author Topic: Certain keys are bottoming out differently on my Topre board  (Read 1546 times)

Offline lakeboredom

Certain keys are bottoming out differently on my Topre board
« on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 17:27:32 »
Is it possible to break a Topre switch/dome by pressing extremely hard?

Some keys on my Novatouch have a hard plastic bottom out, especially when hitting toward the top of the keycap. All the other keys have a muted rubber bottom out like normal, and the only plasticy noise being on the return stroke.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Certain keys are bottoming out differently on my Topre board
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 17:30:27 »
Doubt it's broken, but maybe if the board was stored in improper conditions -- namely, if the domes remained compressed for some reason for an extended period of time, the domes can lose their tactility/resistance. Additionally, the sound you hear could also be the cap rubbing, or the sound of the spring under the dome.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 18:57:26 »
Doubt it's broken, but maybe if the board was stored in improper conditions -- namely, if the domes remained compressed for some reason for an extended period of time, the domes can lose their tactility/resistance. Additionally, the sound you hear could also be the cap rubbing, or the sound of the spring under the dome.

Hmm cap rubbing, like the sides? Because it's definitely on the bottom. Like an MX switch bottom out. Top side of the keycap gives be hard plastic sound, bottom gives me topre rubber thud.

Offline antifocus

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 00:09:01 »
If you are pressing hard, you are pressing against the PCB basically. The PCB is being secured by dozen screws to the plate with the plastic housing. It is very hard to break the keyboard but possible.

If you are hearing plastic hitting sound, I am guessing it's the keycap hitting the plastic housing on the plate, try another taller profile keycap or remove the keycap and press the stem and see what happens

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 08:49:04 »
This happens on most novatouch stabilized keys because the keycap hits the stabilizer housing.  Is it on 1u keys or larger ones?  Sounds like keycap hitting the Topre housing under it.  What keycaps are you using?

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 01:39:36 »
This happens on most novatouch stabilized keys because the keycap hits the stabilizer housing.  Is it on 1u keys or larger ones?  Sounds like keycap hitting the Topre housing under it.  What keycaps are you using?

Yeah it happens on the stabilized keys. But also on some random 1u keys which makes it sound rather inconsistent. Right now I'm using CRP caps.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 09:30:12 »

Yeah it happens on the stabilized keys. But also on some random 1u keys which makes it sound rather inconsistent. Right now I'm using CRP caps.

to test, take the offending keycap off and put it back on,  but don't push it all the way down (not fully seated on the stem).  Press and see if it still makes the sound.  If the sound is gone, it's housing collision.  For the stabilized keys, some people file down the edges of the topre housing that fits into the plate.  (Could also try file the underneath of the keycap) If the contact is minimal, sometimes putting those north facing LED washer rings on the switches will raise the key up enough to fix it.  It varies from keyset to keyset for me.  I sometimes have luck with DCS profile making less noise.  I've just learned to live with it because I like my Novatouches  :)