Author Topic: Holding your mouse - proper technique  (Read 22628 times)

Offline Daniel Beaver

Holding your mouse - proper technique
« on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 09:52:12 »
I have been wondering about the proper way of holding mice, and have found a lot of conflicting advice about it. There seems to be a "right" way of using a keyboard, but no "right" way of using a mouse. Here is the grip I use:

It is a two-finger grip. My index and middle fingers lay over the left and right mouse buttons. I use my index finger to turn and click the wheel.

I lay my hand on the mouse, so that my palm is entirely in contact with the mouse. The right side of my wrist lays on my mouse pad, and acts as a pivot point for side to side motions.

My ring and index finger just curl up next to the mouse, helping with the grip.

This does not seem... "right" to me. I've tried this using a three-finger grip, but it seemed like I had to contort the hell out of my middle finger to use the scroll wheel.

There are some other posts about this here, but people keep throwing around terms like "claw grip" without really explaining them. Is there a "correct" way to hold mice?

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 10:19:44 »
I haven't read a lot of explanations, et cetera, but the one that explained it to me was Razer's.  They have nice pictures and I think it is a good explanation.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 14:16:01 »
I'm exactly the same. I hold the mouse like you. I've tried adjusting so my middle finger is on the scroll wheel and ring finger is on the right button, but it is uncomfortable because the wheel is not far enough forward. So although it's theoretically the best way to hold, it doesn't work because of bad design. (I've said it before, I'll say it again - please manufacturers, design your devices to match human anatomy!!!)

I also get confused by terms such as "claw grip" and whatever the alternative is. I assume it relates to how much you have scrunched up your fingers and whether your wrist makes contact with the mat/desk. I'll check out wasui's link.

EDIT> Having reviewed the explaining them video, I normally use the "flat finger" method, but I switch to the "palm" and "claw" methods as necessary. I don't see any reason to commit to any one style except for specific tasks, where clearly each method has certain advantages.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 September 2010, 14:29:44 by Rajagra »

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 04:15:50 »
Depends what you want it for I guess. The claw/palm grip is generally a gaming term. People use the claw grip as apparently it makes you quicker to react and you put less weight overall on the mouse. Not really sure, i've never used it as I only find palm comfortable. I naturally use 3 finger mouse layout when browsing it seems, but not while playing games. I've heard the claw can cause fatigue over time though. Claw grip is when you stick your fingers on your mouse 1 and two like a claw, hence the name. Not really sure why people use this grip however...

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 07:42:13 »
Quote from: Scarzy;225094
Not really sure why people use this grip however...

For me it's just the natural way to hold a mouse.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 09:12:59 »
Do you suffer from fatigue after long periods of use? Or is it fine once you get used to it?

Never seen anyone naturally hold it like that, you sir are unique.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:19:55 »
:D

No, I don't suffer from fatigue, not even in all-night sessions but I make regularly smoking breaks.

Shape of the mouse is still a factor, not that I did have problems with the Ikari but I can hold my Xai (replaced the Ikari) much more relaxed.

Offline J888www

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:28:02 »
The correct way to hold a mouse it's which ever way most comfortable. As people have different opinions, you may not like my answer, I can only advise you that the "Proper Technique" may differ.

ie. Some people use their left hand to hold a mouse, so people use their right, some with claw, some with palm. I have even seen someone use their right foot because he had no arms.  :sad:
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:32:58 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
This is how i hold my copperhead
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:45:42 »
Front:

Top:

Left Side:

Right Side:
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
This is how i gold my deathadder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:47:47 »
Front:

Top:

Left Side:

Right Side:
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:51:54 »
Quote from: Scarzy;225094
Not really sure why people use this grip however...

Claw grip is usually used by those with medium to high sensitivities at least those who use purely their wrist to aim.

They usually do it to decrease the surface area of the contact of their hand on the mouse and shift the weight of their hand unto the wrist. In doing so it makes a tiny bit harder to press the mouse buttons in, so they claw their fingers to maximize the force but minimize the vibrations from clicking.

And they also are able to manipulate the mouse like a pencil. With the fingers to position the weapon more accurately when needed. While the wrist is used as to move the view around.

It's sorta like low sensitivity where the arm is used to move the field of view and when higher accuracy is needed the wrist is used, except it's done at a larger movement rather than much smaller.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2010, 11:54:06 by Arc'xer »

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 12:09:03 »
I too use my thumb and pinky to grip the mouse.
My palm tend to touch the back of the mouse
Pivot on my right side of my wrist.

I assume OP and I are using "claw grip"

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 13:05:45 »
I assume OP and I are using "claw grip"
The Razor page was helpful for me, since pictures can be a vague descriptor. My own pictures show a "palm" grip, and that is what I use for most everyday applications. I tried paying attention to what I was doing while I played games, and realized that I unconsciously switch to a "fingertip" grip. I had never noticed before that I was switching grips depending on the application.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2010, 13:10:53 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 15:26:05 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;225156
Claw grip is usually used by those with medium to high sensitivities at least those who use purely their wrist to aim.

I'm not one of them allthough my sense isn't that low with 35cm/360.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 17:22:14 »
OHHHHHHHH so I use a Claw Grip ^___^

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 12:12:23 »
The right way to hold a mouse (in the sense of "most ergonomic") is the one that allows the hand to be an approximately straight extension of the forearm. In real life it is not uncommon to see the hand too far outwards or upwards, and fingers tend not to be allowed to curl up as much as would be desirable (which is why I don't like very high and curved mice much, or other shapes posing problems in that regard). In addition, common scroll wheel positions are utter fail, for they require a finger to be moved upwards.

For obvious reasons, the interaction of mouse position, mouse height, body dimensions and sitting height will influence hand - forearm angles significantly.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 18:28:25 »
Something in between palm and claw. Index on left, middle on right but hand flat on the mouse. Not very ergonomical but probably better for control (I played RTS a lot back in the time). Would be hard to unlearn. When websurfing or reading, the index finger gets on the wheel, middle stays on the right key. I'm going to try the proper palm grip for websurfing and see how it feels. In gaming, I'd really on my old grip.

I'm not sure but it's possible that with some mouse or the other I've used the middle for left and ring for right. I also remember relying on the lower parts of fingers for the clicking force, depending on the mouse. Probably with those old clicky mice with only two keys.

Curiously, my current mouse (X7, from A4tech, I think) has some kind of thumb rest that makes sure it won't go stiff simply because it won't be able to attach in the same position for long. Oh, and I use Razer's Speed mat. Even for RTS. Simply because they didn't have the Control version at the shop at the time but it has its benefits.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 September 2010, 18:38:21 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline vicariouscheese

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 September 2010, 20:00:03 »
theres no correct way of holding a mouse

in general, high sensitivity = claw grip, low sensitivity = palm grip, but that also depends on the size of your mouse too.

im a palm grip user, larger mice, ~8"/180

Offline apex

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 03:45:53 »
there is no right way to use a mouse. It's all personal preference.

Offline netwebber

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 03:20:46 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;225437
The right way to hold a mouse (in the sense of "most ergonomic") is the one that allows the hand to be an approximately straight extension of the forearm. In real life it is not uncommon to see the hand too far outwards or upwards, and fingers tend not to be allowed to curl up as much as would be desirable (which is why I don't like very high and curved mice much, or other shapes posing problems in that regard). In addition, common scroll wheel positions are utter fail, for they require a finger to be moved upwards.

For obvious reasons, the interaction of mouse position, mouse height, body dimensions and sitting height will influence hand - forearm angles significantly.

I've been using a Logitech G700 for a month and it feels like an extension of my forearm and hand. It's the most comfortable mouse I've ever used and the first one I've ever really used a palm grip on. I've been getting used to a palm/claw grip on the G700 for gaming.

For gaming on other mice, I use the fingertip grip. That's because I got into FPSs using the Razer Boomslang. I also use the fingertip grip on my Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX.

For a long time I've used a 3M Precise Mousing surface with a gel wrist-rest (link-also available in a larger version). With the G700, I can keep my wrist stationary on the rest and use a palm grip. Side-to-side motion is accomplished by pivoting my wrist and I move up and down by retracting my fingers or moving my elbow slightly back. The side-to-side motion is basically linear because the arc would be wide. (At 2500 DPI, I traverse about one screen per inch, sometimes on three monitors. If the sensor were pivoted all the way around, the circle would be 8 inches in diameter, or just under 25 inches--62,500 pixels, in circumference. One inch of angular motion then translates to an arc of 14.4 degrees, for anyone keeping track.) There also seems to be some correction going on that keeps the cursor path "flat."

Sensor/mouse ball location becomes important when choosing a mouse based on grip style. Finer control is more natural when the sensor is closer to the fingertips. Razer mice have sensors in the center of the mouse, and the Boomslang has its mouse ball/sensor all the way at the back. The buttons are actuated toward the bottom, and the rest of the mouse basically acts as a stabilizer. With the DPI set low I also find it great for fine work in Photoshop.

NB: NEVER use a "memory-foam" wrist rest. Instead of supporting your wrist at the bone, memory foam gives into the bone and puts pressure on soft tissue. That soft tissue includes blood vessels, nerves and muscles..
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

Offline alec

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 06:21:03 »
Have you heard/seen a grip where mouse is rotated left so that the thumb presses left mouse button, index finger - right button

Mouse is lifted using three fingers and base of the thumb

Tried it on my (quite narrow) Logitech RX1000
Seems interestingly relaxed, no idea how long it would take to adjust to such grip...
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 September 2010, 06:31:22 by alec »
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 10:14:32 »
Quote from: netwebber;226882
NB: NEVER use a "memory-foam" wrist rest. Instead of supporting your wrist at the bone, memory foam gives into the bone and puts pressure on soft tissue. That soft tissue includes blood vessels, nerves and muscles..

I have the same impression--sure, sometimes feels comfy but mostly restricts blood flow to the point of impairing sense in palms.