Author Topic: Repair & cleaning of DataDesk Smartboard  (Read 1895 times)

Offline reidpr

Repair & cleaning of DataDesk Smartboard
« on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 21:25:53 »
I have several DataDesk SmartBoards which I love. They are awesome. I'd never use anything else for extended typing.

Now, the bad news is that the are starting to wear out, with various problems including keys repeating inappropriately, keys having no effect, etc.

As many of you seem to know here (wow!), DataDesk is, shall we say, unreliable. Thus the keyboard is not available new anymore and its successor the SmartBoard II is vaporware. One of my SmartBoards actually arrived new with problems, and I sent it back but it returned not fully fixed. Suffice it to say, I'm not willing to deal with DataDesk on cleaning & repair.

I should add that I'm so addicted to these keyboards that I'd be willing to completely strip them and replace all keyswitches, but I'd prefer to take less drastic measures if possible.

My questions:

1. Is there anything to be done for unreliable keys short of replacing the keyswitches?

2. Is there somewhere I can send such a keyboard to have it cleaned and refurbished? I'm capable of doing the work myself but would prefer to pay someone else to do it. (I am in the Boston area but would be happy to send the keyboard anywhere in the US.)

3. What is a source for replacement keyswitches? And what keyswitches do I have, exactly? (See attached photos - I didn't see an exact match in the ALPS keyswitch guide.)

4. Do you have a SmartBoard that you want to sell me (working or non-working)? I only have 5 and I need more spares..... :twitch:

Much appreciated. It is great to find a community which cares about its keyboards as much as I do.

Reid

Offline JBert

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 September 2010, 12:30:34 »
Didjamatic (or 5K177, his keyboard shop) is handling in Alps 'boards. Maybe he can hook you up with some donor keyboards if you need extra switches.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline reidpr

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 16:39:26 »
Sorry for the bump, but I'm wondering if anyone else has wisdom to share on this. I did PM Didjamatic; thanks for the tip!

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 22:40:50 »
PM replied.  I forgot to menion that I do have a datadesk smartboard and plenty of ALPS in various flavors.  I'm on vacation right now but will check back when I can.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4