Author Topic: Most horrible keyboard you have ecountered?  (Read 17109 times)

Offline Ekaros

Most horrible keyboard you have ecountered?
« on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 17:47:27 »
So, which is most horrible keyboard you have ever ecountered?

I have hard time to say, but might be Cherry G83-6344... I have used decent membranes(hopefully) so, it's bit hard to say...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 18:04:34 »
Hard to say. It would have to be some really dumb tech and lousy making to make me notice it so much and even then, it'd probably be a $2 keyboard, so who'd care. I remember being unable to type without heavy pain on some upposedly brand rubber domes designated as being easy on the hands.

(On the other hand, a keyboard which is really easy on the hands is an M with keycaps removed.)

Offline Pylon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 18:04:48 »

Some of the Macs at school have these. These are terrible. High friction, low tactile feedback, and the stabilizers have a tendency to detach from the keys. Typing fast is very difficult on one of theseThey are quite nice looking though.

I actually like the new aluminum ones. Low throw, yes, but the tactile feedback is good and I can type on it almost as accurately as on my QuietKey.

Other than that, perhaps the Dell L100 (run of the mill black Dell keyboard with next to no bezel). The L100 models are terribly mushy and lack stabilizers on all but right shift and space bar. The extremely similar Sk-8115, on the other hand, gives much better tactile feedback. It's a nice low force board with a fairly light touch and an excellent tactile snap, but it also suffers from the lack of stabilizers.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 18:08:01 »

Offline McLaren

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 18:52:54 »
1.  ASR-33 Teletype. 100% Mechanical, 100% of the time. Key travel on these was impressive - 1/4" or more! The key feel was that of pushing a rod down until there was a soft "chunk" sound from inside the machine, which meant that the keystroke had been recognized. The key then got a slight upwards pressure until it got back to its starting position. No NKRO here - you could not press the next key until the first key was back to it's starting position.

The shift key you see in the picture was just for symbols - no upper/lower case capability on these charmers! Note the keys that you don't see much anymore: "Here Is", "Rubout", and my all-time favorite - WRU, which stands for "Who Are You?".

ASR-33 Keyboard

2. DEC VT-100. Normally these were not particularly bad keyboards, but somehow I was 'blessed' with a personal-for-me-only fresh-out-of-the-box unit that had the keyboard from hell. This keyboard's keys required firm, steady pressure all-the-way-down to register. Unfortunately, you were not able to pick up a new keyboard for $10 if you did not like the one you had. Nope, I was stuck with that awful keyboard until I got a new VT-220 about 2 years later. Lucky me.

3. Apple //c. I had an early production Apple //c. I read elsewhere here that the key switches were Alps, and the keyboards were not bad. Not my unit. The keys required differing levels of pressure to activate, and some of the suckers even made a crunching noise when you pressed 'em down. Other keys just had no key travel at all - just bash 'em and they would register. A later //c+ that I had actually had a wonderful keyboard.

4. IBM 029 Keypunch. Yes, a keypunch - as in 80-column punched cards. A bit of a non-standard keyboard here. No backspace, as it was difficult to erase the little square holes in the card that you mis-punched. No upper/lower case - common on the devices of that era. No sissy top-line numerics, either - just a strange embedded phone-style 10-key number pad accessible using the 'Numeric' key. No Enter or Return keys either - I believe the 'Rel'(ease) key was the equivalent. Just looking at that keyboard is enough to make you think "We're not in Kansas, anymore, Toto!"

Where left shift should be, you have a Numeric key. Where the right shift would be you get an Alphabetic key. Where tab would be you have an 'Error Reset'. Where Enter should be you have 'Left Zero'. There are 'Prog One' and 'Prog Two' keys, but I can't remember what relationship they had to the 'One/Two Program Sel' switch above the keyboard... (First of the group of 4 switches).

Actually, they key feel of the 029 was as good as IBM could make it. People used to sit at those machines for 8 hours a day punching cards - and without the benefit of a backspace key, either! Fatigue meant errors, and errors were not good - error detection in those days was to re-key the cards again, and the keypunch would compare what the card already had punched in it to what the person had just keyed. If the keypunch found a difference the keypunch would beep, indicating that at least one of the two keypunch operators had made an error...

IBM 029

-- Bill

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 21:53:34 »
Cherry MY keyboards. I hate the stiff, floaty, muddy feeling.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 22:19:32 »
Blackberry 7100 keyboard

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 04:04:12 »
Quote from: McLaren;226822
4. IBM 029 Keypunch. Yes, a keypunch - as in 80-column punched cards. A bit of a non-standard keyboard here. No backspace, as it was difficult to erase the little square holes in the card that you mis-punched. No upper/lower case - common on the devices of that era. No sissy top-line numerics, either - just a strange embedded phone-style 10-key number pad accessible using the 'Numeric' key. No Enter or Return keys either - I believe the 'Rel'(ease) key was the equivalent. Just looking at that keyboard is enough to make you think "We're not in Kansas, anymore, Toto!"

Where left shift should be, you have a Numeric key. Where the right shift would be you get an Alphabetic key. Where tab would be you have an 'Error Reset'. Where Enter should be you have 'Left Zero'. There are 'Prog One' and 'Prog Two' keys, but I can't remember what relationship they had to the 'One/Two Program Sel' switch above the keyboard... (First of the group of 4 switches).

Actually, they key feel of the 029 was as good as IBM could make it. People used to sit at those machines for 8 hours a day punching cards - and without the benefit of a backspace key, either! Fatigue meant errors, and errors were not good - error detection in those days was to re-key the cards again, and the keypunch would compare what the card already had punched in it to what the person had just keyed. If the keypunch found a difference the keypunch would beep, indicating that at least one of the two keypunch operators had made an error...

IBM 029

-- Bill

My college has one of those things lying around. If you removed the keyboard cover, you'd see that it was actually a specially converted Selectric typewriter.

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 05:57:38 »
My most hated keyboard is a Logitech one that has a "F lock" key which forgets its setting every reboot. By default, the F1-F12 keys don't work, you need to enable F lock first everytime you reboot. I hate it.

Also, any keyboard where the insert, home, pgup, etc... keys are placed in an alternative configuration.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 06:39:07 »
Quote from: Pylon;226804
The extremely similar Sk-8115, on the other hand, gives much better tactile feedback. It's a nice low force board with a fairly light touch and an excellent tactile snap, but it also suffers from the lack of stabilizers.

There is also the Dell RT7D50 which also looks just like the other two.
I have been using one as my "daily driver" at work for the past year. I would not classify it as a "low force" rubber dome. I like the tactility, but the high force has started caused my fingers to hurt after long use. It feels like it has stabilizers on the usual keys in the standard manner. There is some friction if you hit the edge of Tab or Caps Lock, but not that much. My old KeyTronic K1000 lacks stabilizers on the same keys but don't have any noticable friction when you press them off-center.

On the other hand. I recently got myself a used Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro from the year 2000 at a flea market, cleaned it up and started using it.
It is one of my worst keyboard experiences yet, only because of the high friction when I press any key slightly off-center. The worst keys were the bottom row: Ctrl, Alt and the WIndows keys are as wide as a wide Backspace key, and some of them are just as high, but they don't have any stabilizers. If you press one of them in a corner, it does not depress! The domes were very light, though. Could I have washed away some necessary lubricant when I had cleaned the keyboard from crud?
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 September 2010, 06:46:32 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Pylon

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 07:21:22 »
Hmm, there's a number of extremely similar looking Dell boards that feel very different. An SK-8115 feels fairly light and low force compared to the very similar looking L100. Maybe the RT7D50 feels different from the other two.

Also, age may play a factor. My Sk-8115 is only about 6 months old, while some old ones I've seen at the library had a tendency to have their extended keys bind.

Offline Sam

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 08:00:50 »
The most horrible keyboard that I can recall actually using was the membrane keyboard on the Magnavox Odyssey game console.  It's been ages since I used it but I recall it being frequently necessary to press the keys multiple times just to register once.  I believe Atari also had a computer with similar keys, but I never used one of those so can't compare the two.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 08:44:36 »
We used one of these by the DJ station... awful.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 09:03:45 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;226925

Show Image

Oh, I have ecountered one of those too. I have to admit it was an sailing(boat/yatch), wasn't too good, but didn't have to type on it.

Anything worse is some press-buttons I found on local train for adjusting arm-rest integrated radio controls... Metal with three circles no response, only with things happening...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline kriminal

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 09:27:45 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;226925

Show Image

i second this
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 11:30:07 »
I would suggest one in atachment, if anyone ever does full sized keyboard of those he should be put to death...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline chrs

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 13:46:08 »
There was another thread in which I postedmy nomination: DEC LK-201.

Offline synack

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 20:46:02 »
Another vote here for the roll-up keyboards...  Absolutely horrible.  It's almost impossible to type a single word correctly;  Even when you try to manually peck with your index finger, trying to be as precise as possible...

Offline netwebber

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 02:10:29 »
We had those roll-up rubber keyboards IN AN ENGINEERING LAB. OK, so it was a wet lab (biomedical)... but how did they expect us to write MATLAB code on those things? It took nearly a minute just to log onto the computer.
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 04:41:53 »
I wrote an error yesterday: I had been using both DELL SK-8115 and DELL RT7D50 at work. I could not tell much difference between them in feel, and had not noticed that I had been using different keyboards. I have hurt my fingers on both of them.
🍉

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 14:10:24 »
Show Image

Some of the Macs at school have these. These are terrible. High friction, low tactile feedback, and the stabilizers have a tendency to detach from the keys. Typing fast is very difficult on one of theseThey are quite nice looking though.

Agreed.  Like mashing potatoes with your fingers.  Rubbish.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 18:08:07 »
Quote from: Findecanor;226904
I recently got myself a used Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro from the year 2000 at a flea market, cleaned it up and started using it.
It is one of my worst keyboard experiences yet, only because of the high friction when I press any key slightly off-center. The worst keys were the bottom row: Ctrl, Alt and the WIndows keys are as wide as a wide Backspace key, and some of them are just as high, but they don't have any stabilizers. If you press one of them in a corner, it does not depress!

When Microsoft designed the Natural 4000, they took all that friction and put it into the space bar. I've been trying mine again in the last few days. I cannot tell how good the main keys are, because every time you hit space the keyboard mocks you with its refusal to move. I've tried all the variations of bending/omitting the stabilizer bar, and lubricating the moving parts. Nothing works.

Here's why:
  • The space bar has three stems. One that hits the rubber dome, and one on each side. All 3 are near the front (near the user.)
  • The space bar is deep, giving lots of leverage for twisting it bacwards.
  • The space bar is soft and flexible - in all axes.

As you can see, MS did a fantastic job of making sure the space bar could never work well. If you are lucky only one of the stems will bind, and you can hammer it down. If two or all three bind you better let go and try again.

If you look closely inside you can see signs they may have originally designed for five stems, with two being further back. Who knows if they tested it that way? Maybe it was even worse, with more parts to bind. Maybe it would have worked but they decided to make it cheaper.

I'm giving serious thought to snapping off the lateral stabilizers. They bar might wobble about like crazy but at least it might work.

Offline vicz

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 18:53:52 »
I tried an OLPC computer once. It has a waterproof keyboard similar to the ones above. Each key has to be pushed right in the middle or it doesn't register. No tactile feedback of any kind.

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 21:35:50 »
Come to think of it, the Sinclair Spectrum was rubbish to type on too.  Those membranes lasted about five minutes.  The keys would go soft as the machine overheated.  Ah, the 80s, and cheap British crackpot inventor things.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 22:59:11 »
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 07:20:27 »
Logitech G15. Most expensive piece of crap i bought.

The only thing of use was the lights before they died. Also lcd i only used for ventrilo.
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 07:22:38 »
You're all wrong. I vote microwave membrane keypads.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline lam47

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 07:23:38 »
These are very very ****.

Then these.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Pylon

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 16:43:32 »
Quote from: lam47;229895

Then these.
Show Image

I'm rather fond of the full size variant of those. At school, it's either that or the IMO far worse white Apple keyboards (of which I posted a pic earlier), and these ones aren't frictiony and the tactile feedback's rather good, so I can type much faster on those. I also like scissors a lot, which may be part of the reason.

Personally though, I don't like the mini variant. Tiny arrow keys are a pain (I demand full sized), and I use the numpad a lot.

Offline lam47

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 16:56:00 »
Its the keys I don't like. Any version of it. Its all design over practicality. Apple through and through.
Though each to their own of course.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 03:44:08 »
Show Image

I think that you may have encountered a well used sample. Bad rubber domes degrade quickly with use. The ones that I have tried are not quite as bad as the ones you described.
However, I did notice that the top of the key caps are quite wide compared to the keys on most keyboards, and that makes it more difficult to feel the keys.
🍉

Offline ksd5

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 16:28:16 »
Quote from: chrs;227016
There was another thread in which I postedmy nomination: DEC LK-201.

I agree 1000%. I had two of these monstrosities before I chucked them out.
The only thing I can say that was kind of good was that they were heavy. I like heavy keyboards. :smile:

Offline kip69

• http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 18:40:41 »
Quote from: lam47;229895
These are very very ****.
Show Image

This was the first and only keyboard I have ever needed to return.  It was such utter crap I would rather type in a $5 BenQ.  Even the rubber roll-ups are better, at least they are water proof and don't pretend to be real.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 18:59:04 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;229816
Show Image

I remember some of the buttons would wear over time and the letters wouldn't register. You'd think you typed a word correctly, but hear, "You are wrong. Try again.... Incorrect. The correct spelling is..." and it would be exactly the damn thing you thought you were spelling.

I used to laugh at the thing's pronunciation of "n" and "m". It would say "in" and "im". I'd press it repeatedly just because I thought it was funny. I thought it was a computer error. It was only years later I discovered that Texans actually pronounce those letters that way.

Offline liveify

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 19:09:04 »
I vote for the 8 year old Apple keyboards at my school.. Which I why I plan to bring my HHKB to school
ABSM1, HHKB(on the way)