Author Topic: HHKB - Are the default stock settings the most efficient?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Kirby6

• Formerly Cirby1
HHKB - Are the default stock settings the most efficient?
« on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 11:45:38 »
Hello Geekhack,

Just to give you some context: I recently bought a HHKB hybrid Type-s. I love the layout, but I'm confused about the default stock settings it has. So I'm wondering if the default settings serve a purpose as in "Here is the default stock setting, but you will need to tailor it to your system", or is it more like "this is the perfect UNIX keyboard, don't change the default stock settings only if you are getting used to it. It works perfectly in a UNIX environment".

So which train of thought is the correct one regarding the board's layout?

Because right now I have dip switches 1, 3, 4, 5 setup and it's just sublime. I don't have to move my hands at all and I can switch screen's with ALT+TAB on pretty much every system, I can backspace (not forward delete) on pretty much every system I come across, and having the Windows Dip switch on makes it so it can work on Windows/Android.

I do like using FreeBSD and Linux from time to time, so I'm wondering is:

-Does changing the default stock settings retract from it performing well in a UNIX environment?

I mean the defaults have to be there for a reason correct? It's supposed to be a keyboard that's mean to be used with Vi right?

-Let me know what ya'll think...
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 September 2022, 13:19:13 by Cirby1 »

Offline Tactile

REΛLFORCE

Offline Kirby6

• Formerly Cirby1
Re: Is the HHKB Stock Settings meant for UNIX?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 13:13:29 »
Okay, let me reiterate my key question.

-Does changing the default stock settings retract from it performing well in a UNIX environment?

Offline Polymer

Re: HHKB - Are the default stock settings the most efficient?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 15:39:55 »
No...

What will be important is learning where the keys are...

I find the default not to be very good....I want the \  as the backspace rather than fn+\ for backspace.   But if you don't like that then of course all good..
The rest is  pretty insignificant....