Author Topic: What to do with a dual Celeron 533 box...  (Read 2040 times)

Offline NamelessPFG

What to do with a dual Celeron 533 box...
« on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 22:14:26 »
More detailed specs, if you're wondering:

-Abit BP6 (Renowned Socket 370/440BX board, as it made dual-processor setups surprisingly affordable well before the advent of dual-core, single-die CPUs.)
-dual Intel Celeron Mendocino 533 MHz (Unfortunately, they're gimped with a 66 MHz FSB, a multiplier locked upwards AND DOWNWARDS, and of course, lack of SSE and later instruction set extensions. At least they won't overheat with the Thermaltake Golden Orbs strapped to them.)
-768 MB (3*256 MB) PC-133 SDRAM (The BP6's maximum. It'll probably be constrained less by RAM and more by the CPU or FSB.)

Other parts may vary, depending on what I scrounge up from around this house.

The main problem I have is that the slow individual CPU speed makes it a poor legacy gaming machine (made doubly worse by Win9x not supporting more than one CPU), it's apparently not beefy enough for pfSense due to the slow FSB and lack of SSE, and...well, I just can't find a good use for it that isn't better served by any of my other PCs.

Maybe one of you can think of something? I know a certain infamous someone frequently manages to get by with much less than that somehow.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 23:59:06 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

Can always run a lightweight distro quite a lot for older systems, if your into open-source OS. Some of them can run right on the RAM due to their size.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 00:03:42 »
I use a dual PIII 733 for a file server. Hooked it up to a WiFI card and stuck it in my backyard tool shed so the sound and heat of thirteen 9gig SCSI drives doesn't bother the family.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 10:32:10 »
I considered the file server approach, but realized that my flagship desktop just works better for that with the extra hard drive space in its case (gotta love full towers!) and-more importantly-SATA ports on the motherboard, since SATA drives have a far better price-to-storage ratio as of the last few years.

Running an alternative OS was always a consideration, but I'm still not sure what I'd actually do with it on those OSes that I can't do on my Win7 64-bit setups.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 10:45:52 »
Hook a sweet keyboard up to it, and use it for basic word processing. Having a dedicated word processing box with no internet access to distract you is a nice thing.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 11:51:59 »
I'd use that old PowerBook G3 and Office 98 in that case, though I'd need a USB adapter for my spare Model M.

That system isn't one I'd enjoy browsing the Web on for sure, especially not in OS 9.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 14:25:18 »
That Celeron box is basically the equivalent of a dual-processor Power Mac G4. But it's not made be Crapple so people won't buy it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 19:36:43 »
Perhaps you'd buy it? (Just the mobo, CPUs + HSFs, and RAM, anyway.)

And as for selling Apple stuff, no one's made any inquiries on the PowerBook...perhaps I'll try eBay next, though I never have any particular luck selling there.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 September 2010, 21:28:30 »
Last time someone brought up that mobo I checked out ebay and they were pretty expensive, maybe somebody might want it.