Author Topic: Full Filco/Cherry Doubleshot Replacement Sets (Signature Plastic)  (Read 12345 times)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
This is the latest custom product the Koreans on OTD came up with. A full replacement set for literally every Cherry MX or Filco keyboard you can imagine. They call these the "Dolch Replica" set due to the color scheme.

Extra keys cover every possible scenario: short shift, long shift, center capslock, cherry corp style capslock, winkeyless, winkeys, appkey, special shift (1800 series), various spacebar sizes.

Everything was made by Signature Plastics in the US. Whoever claimed they did not have the needed tooling to make perfect or near perfect sets for Filco boards was wrong.

While the big font (personally I think its awesome) and the thin Signature Plastic keys might not be for everyone, it still saddens me that this is like their third run and we have never accomplished to ever get past a single keycap order. :rolleyes:

We really suck at organizing and funding these things!

Picture Credit:
Siny of Hell (kbdmania)
김재연/메룩스짱 (kbdmania)
 글쓴이  (OTD)
MatDol (OTD)

PS: I currently have no internet at home, so I uploaded this at like 0.3kb/s over stolen wireless. I hope it all worked out.

Offline platon

Full Filco/Cherry Doubleshot Replacement Sets (Signature Plastic)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 18:12:33 »
It is awesome! I want it!
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 18:17:29 »
Quote from: sixty;230159

We really suck at organizing and funding these things!

If we did one for replacement Topre keycaps, I'd be down. That set looks great!

Offline platon

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 18:18:52 »
i love the color scheme.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 18:26:03 »

Everything was made by Signature Plastics in the US. Whoever claimed they did not have the needed tooling to make perfect or near perfect sets for Filco boards was wrong.

Brian's last word on it was that he didn't want to tip his hand, but SP had a set of Filco keys provided by him and that the samples he had gotten did not fit the Filco to his satisfaction. He also said that changes to base key shape would be costly and that he'd let us know if it didn't work out.

Meanwhile, someone claimed earlier today to have emailed him about it within the past couple weeks and he allegedly confirmed it, still trying to find pricing between $30-$60.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 18:29:55 »
Extra keys cover every possible scenario:

How about if I want a Control key in the Unix position? (i.e. replacing Caps Lock) I would give my left nut for a couple of these for my Filcos.

You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline laden3

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 18:33:37 »
Does that mean we can actually order these key caps from US?
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 21:02:42 »
Close, but no kimchi.

I would kill for this set with:

* Cupped keys!  Give my G80 the look of a late 1970s terminal!

* Long wordy legends to fit the aged look!  "Page Up", not "PgUp".  Maybe put the secondary meaning for numpad keys on the edge, like good PrintScreen keys have.

* A | (won) key instead of | \, just for the sheer novelty of associates asking "can I type \n?"
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 08:20:10 »
Those are awesome.  That guy's wrist rest is pretty money, too.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 09:10:12 »
Those keys look exciting
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 10:41:41 »
So... can you actually buy these? Or are they another one of those mythical Asian products that will never set foot in the West?

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline laden3

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 11:09:46 »
Signature Plastics is an American company, would be nice if someone starts a bulk order... those green keycaps r awesome
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 11:19:14 »
Lol Jesus, no one ever wants to take charge. I'll contact signature and start thread when I get home from work.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 11:29:50 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;230476
Lol Jesus, no one ever wants to take charge. I'll contact signature and start thread when I get home from work.

I tried to take charge back in May, but majestouch told me he was already working on it when stuff was getting serious (working on complete profile info, including the stem within the cap, etc.)

Now Moogle says that Brian told him that they're coming and will be somewhere between $30-$60USD.

So at this point I wonder if it's worth it to go through the quote/production process when Elitekeyboards will (apparently) have them very soon.

Unless you're looking to get a set that will work on more than just Costar boards, in which case it may be worth it.

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 12:43:52 »
Even if Elitekeyboards does come out with doubleshot keys there's no way they'll have the retro look that these do.

That set in the pic with the nice wrist rest is amazing.  Just make a tenkeyed version with no OS-specific logos and you have my money.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Parak

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 12:56:32 »
WANT. Except without the colored wasd, as that would mess with key layouts other than qwerty. On that note, I'm curious as to whether anyone looked into runs of sculpted keys for colemak and dvorak.

Offline kps

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 12:57:54 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;230223

I would kill for this set with:
* Cupped keys!

Yes, that, plus a control keycap left of A -- preferably without a gap, for those of us without six-inch-long pinky fingers.

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 19:09:54 »
This looks awesome.  I'm in!
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 21:30:45 »
I just emailed signature. Even if Majestouch has something on the horizon. It's better to get the ball rolling on something now just in case Majestouch doesn't come through.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 03:30:31 »
Those keys look freakin' beautiful. I love the big font. Really the only reason I've not gotten a Filco keyboard yet is because I think the font looks a bit tacky....I'm picky.

Offline British

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 07:32:33 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;230680
I just emailed signature. Even if Majestouch has something on the horizon. It's better to get the ball rolling on something now just in case Majestouch doesn't come through.

Hopefully you didn't forget to mention French sets :whistle:

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 13:47:11 »
So I'm getting together the specifics for signature.

104 US ANSI Layout
Double shot
For Filco Style keyboard
For Cherry stems

The following two options will be picked from their catalog to save on tooling costs:
Colors(TBD)
Legend Font(TBD)

Initial Order of 25 sets.

Offline laden3

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 13:59:18 »
So, its 87 keys? How much will it cost?
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:04:29 »
104, fullsize layout. No quote yet, trying to nail down the specifics.

Offline magictoaster

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:14:35 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;230936
104, fullsize layout. No quote yet, trying to nail down the specifics.

I would gladly buy one (unless they are crazy Topre-like expensive)! Thanks for taking charge of this!

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:20:14 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;230929
Colors(TBD)
Legend Font(TBD)

Are we sure that all the pics in the first post of this thread are of the same set?  I ask because the color of the darker keys seems to vary somewhat radically from one photo to the next (solid black to dark gray to greenish-gray).

The shots where the darker keys show up as greenish-gray are definitely more appealing to me than the ones where they look flat black.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:21:48 »
Looking at the same font as Filcos or something else? I like the Futura font they have, already if it counts for anything.

Any "extra" keys for alternate layouts and/or novelty? I am thinking specifically here of a Control key in the Unix position to the left of A, replacing Caps Lock. If that's a possibility, I'd be in for one or maybe two sets.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:28:33 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;230946
Looking at the same font as Filcos or something else? I like the Futura font they have, already if it counts for anything.

Any "extra" keys for alternate layouts and/or novelty? I am thinking specifically here of a Control key in the Unix position to the left of A, replacing Caps Lock. If that's a possibility, I'd be in for one or maybe two sets.

At this point anything is possible. I like that control idea as I map my keyboard the same way.

Quote from: Megaweapon;230945
Are we sure that all the pics in the first post of this thread are of the same set?  I ask because the color of the darker keys seems to vary somewhat radically from one photo to the next (solid black to dark gray to greenish-gray).

The shots where the darker keys show up as greenish-gray are definitely more appealing to me than the ones where they look flat black.

Good eye, Signature actually confirmed that they are not all of the same set.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:41:15 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;230949
At this point anything is possible. I like that control idea as I map my keyboard the same way.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Any idea on extra individual keys or would they only be able to produce complete sets? For example, I've got my keyboard mapped with two Esc keys right now, one in the usual spot and one where `~ usually is, and I've moved `~ to Scroll Lock.

I guess there are lots of questions to decide on things like font, color, texture, key shape... Oh man, this is cool. * does pee pee dance *

Offline JBert

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:46:18 »
It seems kbdmania did all the hard work of deciding what to make.

Can't we simply ask for the same set and see if they got the tools warmed up for a more competitive offer than usual?
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline zefrer

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:55:49 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;230952

Same here, I'd take one of those too.

Offline waperboy

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 12:06:03 »
I just love the look of those large letter on the keys, takes me back to the days when computers were built with flintstone technology - rugged and built to last.

I want.
Swedish layout Filco browns driving Ubuntu 10.04 on Asus P6T SE with Intel i7 930, 12Gb Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM, OCZ Vertex2 90Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1Tb, KFA2 GTX 460 driving Samsung 24" 16/10.
Netting through Asus RT-N16 router with Tomato VPN firmware

Offline Kaishi

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 21:06:48 »
If no one is going to take charge on this, I've already contacted Signature Plastics myself, and begun work on getting a design down.

I really want to see a custom keyset be available for Filcos and the like.

EDIT: I see someone has taken charge on this.  I'm VERY interested in ordering a set of keys, and would like to be part of the initial buy.  I really want double-shot keys with red letters but I don't know if anyone else would agree with that.... so white on black would be fine.

We need to decide on a FONT too.  Texture is one thing but I think font is actually more important.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 21:11:14 by Kaishi »

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
Key series from Signature?
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 21:18:17 »
Out of curiosity, is it the DCS series from signature that we'll be ordering?

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 21:28:39 »
Hey guys please defer to this thread for information regarding the group purchase.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=11998

To answer your questions,

Yes it is the DCS series.

Much of the order has already been decided and we are finalizing the price at this point.