Author Topic: Help understanding how switch with affect RGB "performance"  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Sally-san

• Pixel Friendly
Help understanding how switch with affect RGB "performance"
« on: Sat, 18 February 2023, 01:27:07 »
I plan to move on from Razer keyboards and I want to get a Mountain Everest Max. It is a keyboard with north facing 3 pin hot swap switches, I want to pair it with Neapolitan Ice Cream Switches, there are potential 3 issues with this based on the research I've done.

Two of them I think I've solved:
1. Its a 5 pin switch (solved by clipping the extra pins)
2. Mx keycaps might have interference with north facing switches. However Neapolitan Ice Cream Switches have tall stems which should avoid this problem.

My final issue and my reason for creating this post:
3. Aesthetically the keyboard was clearly built with transparent top housing switches in mind, then you get switches like the Glorious Pandas with have a "slit" to allow light to pass through (just not as much as transparent switches). Finally switches like the Neapolitan Ice Cream Switches seem to have 3 small holes, does anyone have any experience with how these will look? will pudding keycaps help?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Help understanding how switch with affect RGB "performance"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 February 2023, 10:49:02 »
the RGB will be bad since those slits are meant for 3mm led lights. If you want RGB to really shine through the switches you can maybe swap the top housing with transparant housing. You can probably use the top housing of Gateron SMD switches. I can't promise they will fit though since i haven't really followed switches for the last two years. Parts used to be interchangeable but that changed when more switch manufacturers came to life.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sally-san

• Pixel Friendly
Re: Help understanding how switch with affect RGB "performance"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 00:39:23 »
Thanks for the reply man i really appreciate it. I try to do a lot of research before asking stupid questions on the net but from what I've seen enthusiasts tend to focus on feel and sound a lot more, and leave the flashy RGB for the "gamer gear". So its really hard to find information on this a noob.

In terms of modding the Neapolitan Ice Cream Switches, since this is my first custom board I think I'll either accept the poor rgb or go for something like the Boba U4T RGB switches. Thanks for the information  :thumb: