Author Topic: Does anyone know a model of keyboard that. . . . ?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline sggsix

Does anyone know a model of keyboard that. . . . ?
« on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 11:37:51 »
Hello everyone,

It has been some time since I've posted on geekhack.org, but I truly love the community and have been reading some of the posts lately.  Plus, I love the geekhack.org sweatshirt I bought last year.  

Anyways, I need some input from the community.  Does anyone know of a computer keyboard or company that produces keyboards that vary only by key switch.  For instance, all of the aesthetics and all of the other features are the exact same on both keyboards.  However, the keyboards only vary on having a different key switch.  Ideally, from the outside, the keyboards should look identical.  

One catch, I realize that Filco/Diatec have a 101 model that varies on having brown/blue/black cherry key switches.  However, I am more interested in having one of the keyboards be rubber dome/membrane key switch and the other keyboard has some type of mechanical key switch.

Please, please, please offer up some suggestions.  Even if your suggestions require me to call a company and have a keyboard custom built.  Have you worked with any companies on such things?  Any input will be useful.

I look forward to hearing from Ripster and the rest of the geekhack community!

It's great to be back,

~Sggsix~
HHKB Pro 2  (black)
Realforce 101 (white)
Unicomp Spacesaver Model M Russian Key Caps (pearl)
HHKB Lite 2 Japanese Key Caps (black)
HHKB Lite English Key Caps (white)

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 21:43:20 »
What? Are you doing some kind of Pepsi challenge?

War's over man... Coke won.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 07:57:20 »
How about fitting the insides of one keyboard into another?

Sounds like a college/uni experiment to me...  You could try making the subject wear headphones and gloves (only joking).  If you can't make the keyboards look identical - then you could cover them with a cloth.

Don't forget that some switches are pretty unpleasant and some rubber domes aren't all that bad.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0