Author Topic: Help me choose a keyboard  (Read 5823 times)

Offline fuzzpop

Help me choose a keyboard
« on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 18:53:24 »
I would like to get a good keyboard that will truly impress me, but the sheer multitude of options is simply mind boggling. I am currently having a tough time deciding which keyboard will suit my needs. It seems as though there is no "one all, end all" keyboard.

Here are my requirements:

Large spacebar. Majority of the keyboards in the market (including filco) use a standard sized spacebar. I personally like a larger spacebar for its increased comfort. The logitech k100 keyboard I'm using now is ideal in this respect. Have a look here if you wish.

No number pad. I do not use it, I do not need it, and I certainly do not want it; I want my hands to be closer together when I game! Those WASD-only keyboards are impractical for me, because I type when I game as well. I don't mind if the keyboard has a number pad on the right though...

It would be good if the actuation point is half way, like those cherry switches, or those topre capacitative ones. This *might* give me the unfair advantage over other gamers. That is of course, my wishful thinking...

To conclude, I'm looking for a tenkeyless keyboard with an extra large spacebar that actuates half-way.

Your invaluable advice will be much appreciated!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 20:23:44 »
Quote from: fuzzpop

To conclude, I'm looking for a tenkeyless keyboard with an extra large spacebar that actuates half-way.

Your invaluable advice will be much appreciated!

I agree with ripster, mainly regarding your large spacebar requirement...

What will you use the keyboard for besides gaming? Will you be typing on it much or using it for anything else?

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 21:08:32 »
I'll use it for both typing and gaming.

So there isn't a keyboard with an oversized spacebar? It's a pity that so few keyboards offer this feature, because it really helps to reduce pressure on the thumb. Is there a reason why manufactures of "elite" keyboards refuse to include this?

Thank you ripster.

Offline laden3

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 00:35:24 »
Have u tried a mechanical keyboard with the standard-sized spacebar? I used to like the idea of the larger spacebar but these standard-sized ones r just fine... u can always return some keyboards if u dont like them
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 01:37:43 »
Quote from: fuzzpop;230670
So there isn't a keyboard with an oversized spacebar? It's a pity that so few keyboards offer this feature, because it really helps to reduce pressure on the thumb. Is there a reason why manufactures of "elite" keyboards refuse to include this?

As far as I can tell, it's just not a commonly desired feature. Mechanicals are a growing but still very much a niche market.

I personally detest non-standard spacebars.

What's big on thumb pressure, IMO, is the fact that a mechanical switch will not wear out like a rubber dome will (this isn't saying mechanicals don't wear out, it just takes a much, much longer time). The last dome keyboard I had essentially required me to slam the spacebar like I was trying to destroy the keyboard.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how it reduces pressure on the thumb. In a proper home row position your thumbs should rest on the space bar anyways.

Of course, I'm big hypocrite and I don't home row type, although I'm trying to change that as I learn COLEMAK (slow. I just need to go cold turkey off of QWERTY over a holiday I think). On QWERTY I touch type but I don't do it from the home row- I move my hands around pretty freely, but habit has me subconsciously have at least one thumb on the space bar at all times.

I can type 100WPM though - not like it's the end of the world that I don't do it "completely proper". Although it would probably enhance my speed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2010, 01:40:05 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 02:01:40 »
"it's just not a commonly desired feature... I personally detest non-standard spacebars."
Is this indeed the common consensus?

In a proper home row position your thumbs should rest on the space bar anyways.
Yes.

No, my keyboard has not worn out. It does not require a lot of force to actuate. The problem is, I use the spacebar extensively, and the skin on the side of my thumb is thin and sensitive. Thus, this part of my finger gets 'raw' after a few hours. The oversized bar helps to mitigate this problem by distributing the force over a larger area. Previously, I was using a keyboard with a standard sized spacebar when this problem first arose. This was the primary reason why I purchased the logitech k100 classical keyboard.

The increased width of the spacebar also allows me to distance my thumb away from the rest of my four fingers. It is, in my opinion, slightly more ergonomic.

Have u tried a mechanical keyboard with the standard-sized spacebar? I used to like the idea of the larger spacebar but these standard-sized ones r just fine
No, this will be my first mechanical keyboard.

It seems I will have no luck in finding such a keyboard... I may have to settle with the filco 86 keyboard.

PS: I'm still open to ideas.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 05:28:03 »
I hate it when people talk about gaming peripherie and say "gives the unfair advantage"....

That's like the pinnacle of stupidity in terms of razer marketing. No need to carry the torch in regard to this ****.

@OP

The Sidewinder X4 has a longer space bar and for a rubber dome it is really good. Together with the macro keys it might ...... wait for it .......
give u the unfair advantage :yuck:

Offline zefrer

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 06:45:21 »
Hmm, have you tried the microsoft ergonomic keyboards? The newest one, microsoft ergonomic 4000 something-something (dark side), has an oversized spacebar.

Said spacebar is pretty horrible however, wobbles a lot and key feel varies from keyboard to keyboard (I have used a _lot_ of microsoft's ergonomic keyboards).

I think a standard spacebar with a good mechanical switch with low actuation force would be better for you.
Your thumb getting sore could be because of how much force is required to fully depress the spacebar on a rubber dome.

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 18:15:57 »
I hate it when people talk about gaming peripherie and say "gives the unfair advantage"....

That's like the pinnacle of stupidity in terms of razer marketing. No need to carry the torch in regard to this ****.

I am so sorry to have mortally offended you, and I sincerely hope you will not take this to heart. I am deeply apologetic for committing such a heinous crime!

Anyway, I wasn't aware that razer also used this to promote their keyboard. This was my own theory and I did not copy it from razer's website. It shows that both the razer team and I were able to identify this as a possible advantage in terms of responsiveness. Great minds think alike...

Both the Sidewinder X4 and the microsoft ergonomic 4000 has a number pad which I don't want.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the filco tenkeyless.

Offline chet0

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 18:29:15 »
use the other thumb
Keyboards owned: XD87 with lubed aliaz, a few Topres, Logitech 815 (tactile).

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 19:18:25 »
Did someone say they need a big space bar?

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline msiegel

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 19:36:47 »
(^_______^)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 19:39:10 »
I'm thinking the closest thing to what he'd want would be a tenkeyless Filco with browns and a replacement space bar...are there large replacement space bars that fit on Filcos?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 19:47:54 »
i don't get the need for the super large space bar? it's true the ergo 4k has a HUGE space bar and i modded it w/ a cherry space bar and now there are super big gaps, but i don't miss it at all. Like others have said, such a large space bar, it was wobbly and just not firm (but could be cuz it was also membrane).

really have to look for a large space bar that has mech switches and good stabilizers imo.

but why large space bar?

i'm just saying that i never really cared if the spacebar was big or not on the rgo 4k and it has a huge spacebar and i used it faithfully for over 5 years, and i do not miss it. (i think it also depends on where the switch is placed as well, looking at my modded cherry my switch is placed not in the middle but towards the right side which is great cuz i use the right thumb for space all the time, [but i could have easily turned it 180 if needed])

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 04:05:19 »
Quote from: fuzzpop;231049

Anyway, I wasn't aware that razer also used this to promote their keyboard. This was my own theory and I did not copy it from razer's website.

Are u trying to say that ur brain gave u the unfair advantage over razer's marketing staff? :faint:

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 23:01:38 »
Quote from: ripster;231063
I really have no idea why I don't alternate thumbs - it is taking me an incredibly.... long ... time to type this with my left thumb.

Whew!

Same!

Quote from: keyboardlover;231078
I'm thinking the closest thing to what he'd want would be a tenkeyless Filco with browns and a replacement space bar...are there large replacement space bars that fit on Filcos?

Yes, I think I'm going to go with the Filco tenkeyless.

@ Lanx, I guess I can live with the normal spacebar. It shouldn't be that big an issue.

@Cartmenez: What? :confused:

Offline ironman31

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 00:01:20 »
Quote from: ripster;231063
I really have no idea why I don't alternate thumbs - it is taking me an incredibly.... long ... time to type this with my left thumb.

Whew!

Mavis Beacon doesn't alternate, why should anyone?
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 15:35:03 »
Typically the largest kind of space bar you're going to find in common mechanical boards is MFII size, usually on boards without Win keys (Topres are an exception).

As far as space bar comfort is concerned, this tended to vary even before fancy oversized ones came along - I never viewed my Model M's space bar as being particularly problematic, in spite of its significant height, while I did notice that the one on the BTC 5131C is a bit on the edgy side (it is lower but seemingly its top is not rounded as much and it's got more back tilt, something I also observed with a Focus FK-3002 where the space bar even has a touch more back tilt than the other front row keys). Cherry boards traditionally use extra comfy space bars with rather little back tilt (less than the second row) and moderate height.
Keep in mind force levels will also play in here.

Does anyone alternate thumbs at all? When I see space bar wear indicating both right and left thumb usage, I simply assume the board has been used by both lefties and righties.

BTW, which is the correct spelling anyway, "space bar" or "spacebar"? :? The latter gives me more Google hits.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 October 2010, 15:40:27 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 15:51:49 »
Why not get some plastic stock from a model-building shop, and add an extension to a FIlco or Unicomp board of your choice?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 05:25:17 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;232205

BTW, which is the correct spelling anyway, "space bar" or "spacebar"? :? The latter gives me more Google hits.

space bar:

spacebar:

@OP

I'm not hating on you, I just can't help myself say "the unfair advantage" now. To me it's so stupid that it's funny again.

You might even say, that term has the unfair advantage over my funny bone :lock1:

Offline unicomp

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 07:53:51 »
Related question: does anyone game using a Kinesis contoured board?

Offline zefrer

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 07:48:03 »
Quote from: unicomp;232477
Related question: does anyone game using a Kinesis contoured board?

Yes, I do (well, it's an advantage, not a contoured). It works well, MX browns are good for gaming and I'm a pretty hardcore FPS gamer.

I did switch from WASD movement keys to ESDF on the kinesis as the ESDF keys are more comfortable for moving because they are flatter than WASD. If you notice here for example the WASD keys are on a slope, not that great for moving.

I like the ESDF setup better now, plus all the adjointed keys are sloped so they are very easy to reach and hit for weapon selection and etc.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 08:30:03 »
Quote from: ripster;230636
Welcome to Geekhack.

Yep, that's an extra large spacebar all right.
Show Image

I don't think what you are looking for exists but you can always try some crazyass mods.

Sounds to me like you would enjoy the Ducky 1087 as it is tenkeyless.

If you can wait a bit more, they may release one with pbt. However when this will be is anyones guess.

There are more important issues to look at then whether spacebar is extra larger (than usual). You should look at the switches used, what key print type is used, general build quality (abs ? Pbt ? Pom ? backplate plastic or metal ? ) etc.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 08:33:27 by Moogle Stiltzkin »
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]