Author Topic: Roccat Arvo for Programming and Gaming?  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Ctwx

Roccat Arvo for Programming and Gaming?
« on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 11:14:24 »
Hi there,

I'm looking for a new keyboard and currently I think the Roccat Arvo is really nice. But since I'm a programmer the Arvo could cause some problems due to it's arrow keys – they are only available if one activate the gaming mode.
Most times I use vim for programming tasks.

I don't play games really often. Most of the time I'm working on Linux (perhaps there are driver problems under Linux?). (Okay, I never work on Windows, so actually I'm only working on Linux.)

Currently I have a Microsoft Internet Keyboard. It's okay for most of the tasks but the keys are partly rubbed off. I simply want a new keyboard.

I have seen here many very impressive keyboards but one problem is, they are from the US and shipping is too expensive. Another point is: I need a germany layout. And I think 200$ (about 143€) is too much for a keyboard.
Another keyboard I was thinking of is the Cherry G80-3000LPCDE-2. It's simple and they write the keys don't rub off. This keyboard costs "only" 63€ (about 88$).

What do you think? Is the Roccat Arvo OK for my requirements or would you recommend another one? For example the Cherry G80? What you think is most useable? linear, click or soft-tactile? From my point of view, I'd say click one is the best.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2010, 14:38:02 by Ctwx »

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 11:44:38 »
give it a try
http://cgi.ebay.de/Cherry-Tastatur-Klick-Klicky-G80-guter-Zust-ahnl-IBM-/190451445156?pt=M%C3%A4use_Tastaturen&hash=item2c57ca6da4

This comes with Black Switches. Not for everybody. Search Forum for Infos.

I own this keyboard i think its OK for typing

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 03:47:14 »
Thank you for your answer. I think I'll take a Cherry G80-3000. But I'm still not sure which switches. First I thought blue would be nice but since this poll http://geekhack.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=128 shows linear and tactile are more popular, I think I'll take Brown or Clear.

There's another question: What does this mean?
Cherry G80-3000LPCDE
Ok, "DE" stands for German Layout, but LPC?

Offline alec

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 05:11:08 »
Arvo has no problem for programming. I use it in "gaming mode" with arrow keys 99% of the time.
The only situation where Arvo layout may be a problem is when typing into spreadsheets - e.g. when one uses both numpad and arrows all the time.

But on this forum rubber dome keyboards are automatic no :)
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 09:04:24 »
here are the details from cherry (in german)
http://www.cherry.de/deutsch/produkte/tastaturen_G80-3000.htm

Quote from: lowpoly;90806
Current G80-3000s don't have brown but clear stems for the tactile version. The spring is a bit stronger.

Model # would be G80-3000LQCEU-2, for ex.

G80: MX switch
3000: the big case
L: lasered caps
Q: soft tactile P:linear S:clicky X:might be brown (special order)
EU: country code for layout
-2: black -0 white or gray
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 October 2010, 09:16:09 by CeeSA »

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 10:44:04 »
Quote from: alec;231248
Arvo has no problem for programming. I use it in "gaming mode" with arrow keys 99% of the time.
The only situation where Arvo layout may be a problem is when typing into spreadsheets - e.g. when one uses both numpad and arrows all the time.

Thanks for your "review". :)

Quote from: alec;231248
But on this forum rubber dome keyboards are automatic no :)

Then I should probably try a non-rubber dome keyboard?^^ I didn't knew there are other types except for the clicky one.^^

Quote from: CeeSA;231306
here are the details from cherry (in german)
http://www.cherry.de/deutsch/produkte/tastaturen_G80-3000.htm

Thanks for your explanation (and the link, of course).

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 10:35:35 »
If you need the German layout, I would suggest visiting E-Bay from time to time, they sell old IBM Model M Tastatur keyboards from time to time. Sometimes the prices are much lower than €60.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 11:48:38 »
For the specifics on Cherry board model numbers, see the Dating Cherry Keyboards wiki. In German layout, you can get G80-3000s with blacks, blues and clears. In short, blues are the nicest switch for typing, clears aren't a bad compromise when noise emission is a problem, and blacks are incredibly long-lived with an OK feel.

Of course, a BS IBM doesn't make a bad choice either - until a while ago, I'd typically go back and forth between one and a maxed-out G80 with blues and doubleshot keycaps with no clear longterm winner. There usually are several 1391403s to be found on the 'bay at any time.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 17:03:20 »
So, if there are only blue, clear and black switches available, where do all users get the brown ones? (I'm just interested because it is the highest rated switch in the poll -> http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=11952)

I'm still now sure whether I should take blue or clear. On the one hand blue allows good typing, on the other hand you have to bear with the noise. But as you can see, blue is rated higher than "clear, other, ...".
Really hard decision....

Thanks

Offline skartt

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:37:34 »
from Taiwan :)

Offline Kairxa

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 22:44:10 »
Quote from: Ctwx;232634
So, if there are only blue, clear and black switches available, where do all users get the brown ones? (I'm just interested because it is the highest rated switch in the poll -> http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=11952)

Actually.. Brown is more common than clear nowadays.
For example, Diatec, as the manufacturer of Filco keyboards, uses black, blue, and brown switches in their boards. It's kinda hard to find clear switches actually.

About the blue switches sound, you gotta love it. :)

Here, try this store. They have various version of Filco boards. And they're in UK.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2010, 22:49:50 by Kairxa »

Offline skartt

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 02:02:03 »
For some unknown reasons MX Brown are rare in EU.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 06:39:12 »
Quote from: skartt;232815
For some unknown reasons MX Brown are rare in EU.
Well, until quite recently the only kind of board with browns you could hope for here in Germany was the occasional used POS Cherry G80-8xxx or Compaq MX11800, neither being particularly common. Actually the only kinds of mechanical boards to pop up regularly would be Model Ms and G80s with blacks. If you wanted to have something with blues or clears, you either had to get lucky on the 'bay or buy a G80 with the respective switches new (actually pretty much the only way of picking up anything with clears).

The US retained a wider availability of mechanical boards than most places in the last decade. Over here they faded away pretty quickly in the late '90s, with only good reputation and the office market keeping Cherry G80s in business. No Focus boards or Unicomps, or whatever.

Now things have changed a little in the last few years. Starting with Model Ms regaining popularity early last decade, the whole subject of better-quality keyboards started to receive more attention among geeks. Mechanical Das Keyboard versions made their way around the world, and the gaming crowd got the Steelseries 7G (I think the Raptor-Gaming K1, a pimped G80-1800 with NKRO available since 2005, got some attention here in Germany but not that much elsewhere). Filcos, previously popular in Asia, started to be imported to the US last year, and nowadays even us European folks can order them from The Keyboard Co. in the UK.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline lmnop

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 07:26:15 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 07:04:03 »
cup of rage? PCP? durability? here at geekhack we don't judge.

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 07:34:18 by lmnop »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 08:51:32 »
LOL. Well, given the reviews above, I'm not all that surprised.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 10:09:02 by keyb_gr »

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 10:16:01 »
Thank you all, I think I'll buy the clicky one, with blue switches.

Offline AngryRedGold

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 14:17:10 »
I don't program on the Arvo (or program at all, for that matter), but I can speak some to the keyboard as a gaming device.

Key action is fine, for what it is. I find them a bit heavy, but I started using the board after using a well-worn-in G15 for years. Also, I have a MX Brown keyboard that I use at work. I'm not certain exactly how NKRO the board is. I'm not terribly picky-- for instance my G15 never caused me issues. Unfortunately, I have had problems on occasion with certain key combos registering on this board. If I was a little more thoughtful and scientific, I could probably get the the root cause. As it is, I've learned to lift my hands completely off my board before hitting certain key combos in WOW.

The size is perfect for me, and once you get used to the game-mode on/off system, the 10-key and arrows are fine. The macro software is more than adequate and the thumb macro key location is divine. Unfortunate, I dislike the key action, shape and height of the thumb keys.

On a final note, the pictures that I found on the web of the Arvo weren't accurate. Specifically, the backspace key is narrow, rather than wide. This was problematic for me since I'm a terrible typist. However, it did push me to finally reprogram my Caplocks key to serve as backspace, which honestly is kind of awesome.

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 14:49:13 »
Quote from: AngryRedGold;232979
The macro software is more than adequate and the thumb macro key location is divine.

Since I'm using Linux most of the time this does not concern me.

Quote from: AngryRedGold;232979
On a final note, the pictures that I found on the web of the Arvo weren't accurate. Specifically, the backspace key is narrow, rather than wide. This was problematic for me since I'm a terrible typist. However, it did push me to finally reprogram my Caplocks key to serve as backspace, which honestly is kind of awesome.

I've seen the Arvo in a shop and it looks really good, but I decided to buy the Cherry. I always wanted to buy one and now it's time. :)