Author Topic: Question about the profile of keys on HHKB  (Read 2986 times)

Offline dangerous

Question about the profile of keys on HHKB
« on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 04:42:27 »
I have ordered a blank white HHKB with the red esc key and the blue WASD keys.  It's out of stock until 10th so a lot of suspense - being in Australia it will be a couple of weeks before I get my hands on it.

Anyway, I am not a gamer, and the WASD keys look good and add a bit of colour to the board, but really the arrows are quite irrelevant to me.  What would be good is if I could put the arrow keys either on H,J,K,L (the vim cursor keys) or on [ ; ' / (the HHKB cursor keys).  Looking at http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre+Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre#The+keys , it shows the profile of keys and how they are differently shaped for different rows.  Looking at that picture again, I'm fairly sure that the answer to this question will be no, but is there any chance the qwerty and asdf rows use the same keys, meaning that I would be able to have HJKL instead of WASD ... else do the asdf row and the zxcv row use the same keys, meaning I could have [;'/ instead of WASD?

I'm fairly sure the answer is no unfortunately.  Which makes me wonder, why don't they make HJKL cursor keys or [;'/ cursor keys instead of WASD, as this is not a board aimed at gamers afaik.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 07:52:56 »
Which makes me wonder, why don't they make HJKL cursor keys or [;'/ cursor keys instead of WASD, as this is not a board aimed at gamers afaik.

You cannot remap the arrow keys on the HHKB even through something like Autohotkey, because I don't think the Fn key sends a signal to the PC.  Even so, you would have to reach too far if you use your right pinky on the Fn key.  If you plop your right pinky on Fn, the arrow keys make a lot of sense where they are.  This keyboard was designed for programmers using Emacs.  I am not a programmer, nor am I a gamer, but I find the layout to be fantastic.  That said, the HHKB is not a keyboard aimed at gamers, to be sure.

Offline dangerous

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 15:42:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;231274
You cannot remap the arrow keys on the HHKB even through something like Autohotkey, because I don't think the Fn key sends a signal to the PC.  Even so, you would have to reach too far if you use your right pinky on the Fn key.  If you plop your right pinky on Fn, the arrow keys make a lot of sense where they are.  This keyboard was designed for programmers using Emacs.  I am not a programmer, nor am I a gamer, but I find the layout to be fantastic.  That said, the HHKB is not a keyboard aimed at gamers, to be sure.

What I actually meant is that why can't I get purple keys with arrows that fit on HJKL (the vim cursor keys) or [;'/ (the HHKB cursor keys).  I don't want to remap them, I just want blue arrow keys that fit there rather than on WASD, which really only come into play as arrow keys if you are playing games.

The keys I am talking about: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,keycaps&pid=hh_wasdn

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 15:49:45 »
Chongxiyong did that, but yeah, the profiles are all wrong, specifically the "W" key.  The others would be OK, the one key would be a little high in the back (just swapped a key on mine to check.  It would annoy the hell out of me, but YMMV.

Offline dangerous

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 16:03:11 »
and so what if they went to [;'/ (so W stays on same row, but S drops down to /)?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 16:15:32 »
Correct.  Same thing, too.  / would be a little higher in the back, but that might be more tolerable.