Author Topic: Who else thinks beige looks awesome?  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Pylon

Who else thinks beige looks awesome?
« on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 20:49:41 »
For some reason, I'm really starting to like beige colored computing gear lately. As long as it isn't yellowed and is the fairly light kind, it has a nice...clean look to it IMO, and it kind of looks fresh to me now that pretty much everything is black.

Offline jpc

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 21:36:10 »
You're right.

Beige hides dirt better than black, and it matches (most) Model Ms.

I also like vanilla ice cream.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 21:38:47 »
Quote from: Pylon;231966
For some reason, I'm really starting to like beige colored computing gear lately. As long as it isn't yellowed and is the fairly light kind, it has a nice...clean look to it IMO, and it kind of looks fresh to me now that pretty much everything is black.

I kinda like it is well.  Looks nice if not yellowed.  Also with used boards, it's much easier to see the grunge so you can clean it without having to use a forensic light.  Am I paranoid? Maybe. But filth from parts unknown is nasty.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 21:52:50 »

I kinda like it as well.  Looks nice if not yellowed.  Also with used boards, it's much easier to see the grunge so you can clean it without having to use a forensic light.  Am I paranoid? Maybe. But filth from parts unknown is nasty.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 October 2010, 22:03:38 »
I absolutely love beige: especially since it's what I grew up with. When you have a nice clean non-yellowed beige computer rig, with two-tone beige too, it looks really nice.

My 300PL rig looks awesome. Creamy beige, white, lavender, and dark grey. Wonderful colours. It's easier to see beige: and I do find it refreshing after awhile considering all my other computers are black (or the dark IBM grey).

And yeah, I like colours to match. Either all beige, or all black.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 10:42:05 »
I have a beige desktop in Windows. I'd show you but some of the clutter on it is confidential. :P I'll have to do some cleaning. :P

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 10:55:00 »
Light beige may be a relic from the early '80s design wise, but it's hard to deny that it's quite practical. It doesn't give away a bit of yellowing, key shine or fingerprints so easily (glossy black 'boards, anyone?) and is easy on the eyes. It also allows for dye sublimated lettering, which strikes a pretty good compromise between contrast, longevity and layout flexibility IMO ('boards with lasered lettering and good contrast are few and far between).

The two-tone keys found on many beige boards are an additional bonus. Gives the whole board a more structured feel, guess it triggers pattern recognition.

I do have one black board, but apart from dirt being revealed mercilessly, even double-shot lettering is much harder to see under adverse lighting conditions, so this one always goes back into storage rather quickly (it's also got white Alps, which are better than blacks but still not quite my cup of tea). Pity, it's not bad-looking otherwise.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 11:03:16 »
BTW, my old XT was kinda beige. It certainly is now, wherever it is. I kinda like the way they turn ivory or beige from white after a lot of time. Just like human teeth. Speaking of... :P

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 11:08:19 »
I'm gonna have to disagree. I have a soft spot for old computer gear but I would NEVER buy beige computing gear nowadays (non-vintage).

It isn't that attractive of a color to me and it yellows like crazy.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 11:17:25 »
I agree with the opinion of Mr. Beige himself:

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 11:40:12 »
Quote from: kishy;232137
I wanted computers to be black before the first time I even saw a black computer.

No beige, no grey. Just black with silver trim. Same goes for cars.

You mean like this:

That's a 1981 computer. Many computers were black before the beige trend. It's that damn IBM PC that caused everybody to go beige for most of the mid-80's to late-90's. (Apple computers were boring beige too, but very few others were before 1984)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 October 2010, 11:54:06 by mr_a500 »

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:14:11 »
As long as metal is an option, I'd like case made completely of aluminum with lots of vents for better looks and performance!

Yea, I know they're available, but they're waaay over my budget.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 22:20:08 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;234008
As long as metal is an option, I'd like case made completely of aluminum with lots of vents for better looks and performance!

Hello Mr. Jobs.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 23:45:38 »
It really depends;
I used to have a nice aluminium case from Skyhawk which cost like $30.  A while back, Best Buy bought a crapload of aluminium boxes and eventually cleared the remanants at like $50 for $200-value full-towers.  I have one.  But I use a big heavy steel box with a mesh and plastic front panel.  The aluminium cases rattle badly.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 13:53:12 »
beige and ipod white are dirt ass ugly these colors belong in the kitchen, even then it should be replaced w/ stainless steel color.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 15:37:06 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;234011
Hello Mr. Jobs.

I don't know anyone with a last name of Jobs, other than that guy who works for Apple, and if past products he's helped design are any indication, it's safe to say he's not a big fan of aluminum.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 16:27:55 »
Beige is da bomb, if only because it hides dirt better. The small amount of dust that collects on my Otaku Filco bugs the hell out of me. At least it isn't shiny like a DAS.

(Not a retro guy, either, jut think shiny black is a design cop-out)

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 16:40:25 »
Feather duster.  Keeps black 'boards looking like new.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 18:24:29 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;234008
I put together a system so that I could use an AGP video card, and I saw that kind of case, so I know what you mean... say the Lian Li PC-60FNW, for example. (Made in Taiwan, incidentally.)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 18:29:13 »
I really don't care what my computers look like as long as they work.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline roaduck

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 01:04:07 »

I love beige keyboards because - it hides dirt, isn't too glaring for your overworked eyes ( like brilliant white ) and you can use the 'board in virtual dark or very low light conditions unlike black without resorting to distracting secondary desktop lighting.

I also know how to get rid of yellowing on old beige stuff because I used to repair and refurbish old cream electronics from the 1950's to the 1980's from when I was a wee boy in the early seventies onwards.
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline jpc

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 07:27:32 »
The Unicomp label is fabulous in beige.

1993 called. It wants its retro fabulous back.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 09:03:01 »
Does anyone know if the beige/white Realforce keyboards yellow over time? If you don't know, would you expect them to?

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 13:36:35 »
Yuck, the unicomp logo...

If I ever buy a Customizer, I'll probably replace the top shell with a 1391401 shell. Loves the IBM logo.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:23:40 »
Quote from: roaduck;234551
I love beige keyboards because - it hides dirt, isn't too glaring for your overworked eyes ( like brilliant white ) and you can use the 'board in virtual dark or very low light conditions unlike black without resorting to distracting secondary desktop lighting.

I also know how to get rid of yellowing on old beige stuff because I used to repair and refurbish old cream electronics from the 1950's to the 1980's from when I was a wee boy in the early seventies onwards.

Yeah creamy beige is like the best colour for keyboards. I think IBM may have had that in mind when choosing a colour.
*doesn't become shiny.
*not too bright, but not too dark.
*doesn't look dirty.
*easy to see.
*not "tacky", very general and plain: perfect for formality.
*easier to distinguish with two-tone beige colours.

Re ripster: I think everything on planet earth deteriorates. Plastic's lifespan is very long though.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:39:17 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;234862
Yeah creamy beige is like the best colour for keyboards. I think IBM may have had that in mind when choosing a colour.
*doesn't become shiny.
*doesn't look dirty.
*easy to see.

Every one of those points could be refuted.

*doesn't become shiny.
I have a few beige keyboards that are pretty damn shiny. I also have 25-year-old black keyboards that aren't shiny.

That's the problem - not enough contrast.

*doesn't look dirty.
Some of the dirtiest keyboards I've ever seen were beige.

*easy to see.
Get some glasses.

OK... maybe you have something there. They are verry plain.

Two-tone beige just looks like dirtier keys... or two shades of vomit. I'd prefer different high-contrast colours like:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:41:03 »
Quote from: ripster;234667
I don't know how long but all white plastic eventually will yellow if exposed to sun.  I'll take a pic of my Boston Acoustics radio on my bathroom sill sometime.  It's only like 5 years old.

I once sandpapered off the UV-protective acrylic layer from a costume piece made of ABS plastic. The ABS plastic underneath did not have any UV-protection ... and yellowed in less than a year after sitting in a display cabinet in a spot that was out of direct sunlight.

Personally, I like grey and blue ...or light bluish grey.
Btw, I dislike "metallic" grey sparkly plastic. If it is supposed to be metallic, then it should be real metal!

Edit (since we had posted at the same time, I missed it):
Quote from: mr_a500;234866
Show Image

Beautiful!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 October 2010, 08:54:34 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:51:05 »
As long as my computers work. that's good enough for me. Some of my keyboards are so dirty they'd make you all puke.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 11:26:41 »
Every one of those points could be refuted.

*doesn't become shiny.
I have a few beige keyboards that are pretty damn shiny. I also have 25-year-old black keyboards that aren't shiny.

I'd guess what he meant was: IF the surface already is shiny, where are you more likely to see it?
That's the problem - not enough contrast.

NACK. With the right kind of lettering, you can get plenty enough contrast, though I do prefer the slightly lighter-colored keys on Cherry boards. (I have yet to find anything with better low-light visibility than old Cherry dye-sub and two-shot or Model M keys.) One of my boards with definitely insufficient contrast (lettering and spaces between keys) is a very light grey - with weak lasered lettering.

Speaking of low contrast, picking colors can go wrong with two rather different forum themes around.
*doesn't look dirty.
Some of the dirtiest keyboards I've ever seen were beige.

Again, for the same amount of dirt, black is far worse. Very fussy. I had some fun cleaning that black FK-3002.
Two-tone beige just looks like dirtier keys... or two shades of vomit. I'd prefer different high-contrast colours like:

Show Image

Ugh, '70s. Always makes you wonder where people mislaid their taste. That being said, it's not like cheap-looking silver-painted plastic, aggressive blue LEDs or PC game space ship control panels pretending to be gaming keyboards would be any better. I guess there's plenty of "WTF were they thinking?" design to be had for any era, more that's unobtrusive and gets the job done (<-- insert beige 'boards here) and finally some that really stands the test of time.

If I want '70s, I'll rather take this:

But going back to our 'boards, I think we can conclude:
1. Light-colored boards do have a few advantages when it comes to hiding shiny spots, a bit of dirt and optimum low-light visibility (with adequate lettering).
2. Two-tone setups are actually useful. They are merely unpopular because they are more expensive to produce.
3. Beige boards are unlikely to win any design prizes but they are the most common ones to implement points 1 and 2. It now is up to keyboard designers to do better.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 13:07:06 »
What about the best of both worlds?

I personally like Beige or off-white more.
Still looking for the elusive Filco White Tenkeyless in Cherry blues.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 07:45:52 »
I also like beige. I've started to hate black computer cases, monitors and keyboards, because every product is black these days... there's no choice. It's a disaster. I associate black shiny products with wanting to look cool and advanced. Black stuff just doesn't look as friendly and simple as beige. But the worst part is not the color, it's the shiny stuff that is absolutely everywhere. What a disaster!

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 07:48:37 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;235978
Show Image
That does look very nice, but it doesn't try to look advanced and awesome, it just is for some reason. That's the problem with designs these days. Even Apple is slowly going there... white looks simple, silver looks advanced, and black just looks cheap and desperate. But black in the above image doesn't look desperate at all.

Offline jpc

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 08:02:24 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;235978
Show Image

Sansweet!

That thing says, "damn I'm smooth."  Do want