Author Topic: Electronic gizmos and cable organization.  (Read 2450 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Electronic gizmos and cable organization.
« on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:16:55 »
I'm specifically looking for a charging station of some sort to consolidate the rats nest of cables on my desk, but I think the more general question of cable & clutter management is valuable.

How do you manage cables? Do you organize the cables in your PC case?

Zip ties seem to be the obvious answer but I prefer velcro ties. Not as cheap, but easily repositioned.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:37:02 »
Yup, zip ties for things in my case. Velcro for things I use often.

If you're looking for a charging station and you're handy with wood you're must better off making your own.

However you could always repurpose something from ikea.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 17:40:25 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;234865
If you're looking for a charging station and you're handy with wood you're must better off making your own.

You don't know me well enough to know this, but this is what happens when I try to tinkner with things:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 17:58:19 »
I'm a stickler for tying up excessive cable. Bundling up the cable near the plug end with just enough slack for the plug to reach the socket comfortably and enough slack on the other side so the device can move wherever it needs.

I found (discovered? probably not) a great way to use rubber bands to tie up the excess. You fold up your bundle of wire. Wrap the rubber band around the bundle. Take one end (A) and feed it through the other (B). Pull it snug. Take end (A) and stretch it over one end of the bundled wires. Do NOT wrap it over the plug though. This allows you to readjust the free length later, or unwrap it completely, without having to unplug the device.

It's so quick and effective that I'm surprised I've never seen it done this way by anyone else.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:00:36 »
I gave up on trying to hide computer cables long ago. Besides, when you got 11 desktops in a messy basement, it's more trouble than it's worth trying to keep your wires from tangling.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:01:21 »
Quote from: Rajagra;234899
I'm a stickler for tying up excessive cable. Bundling up the cable near the plug end with just enough slack for the plug to reach the socket comfortably and enough slack on the other side so the device can move wherever it needs.

I found (discovered? probably not) a great way to use rubber bands to tie up the excess. You fold up your bundle of wire. Wrap the rubber band around the bundle. Take one end (A) and feed it through the other (B). Pull it snug. Take end (A) and stretch it over one end of the bundled wires. Do NOT wrap it over the plug though. This allows you to readjust the free length later, or unwrap it completely, without having to unplug the device.

It's so quick and effective that I'm surprised I've never seen it done this way by anyone else.

I'm sure you love computer speakers.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:01:24 »
Quote from: Rajagra;234899

I do that too. Don't be so quick to take credit... for this ingenious method I developed. (patent pending)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:28:48 »
Still, it's worth documenting the details, it works so well...

You fold up your bundle of wire.

Wrap the rubber band around the bundle. Take one end (A) and feed it through the other (B). Pull it snug.

Take end (A) and stretch it over one end of the bundled wires. Do NOT wrap it over the plug though.

Tidy up a bit.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:32:55 »
Hey, you're not allowed to reproduce that without my express written consent! According to the DMCA, I can now break into your house, steal your computer, kidnap you and take you to the US (even though I'm Canadian) and sue you for 3.5 million dollars. (and you'll need to find some lawyers to "assfist" you in your defence)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:36:05 »
Quote from: mr_a500;234918
According to the DMCA, I can now break into your house

According to the YMCA you can dress up like one of the Village People too.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:37:08 »
Quote from: Rajagra;234920
According to the YMCA you can dress up like one of the Village People too.

Damn that legal loophole!

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 20:52:25 »
Quote from: kishy;234969
Gah, I coil all cables in a circular fashion.

Remember Daniel San. Wax on. Wax off.

Oops. I mean Wrap over. Wrap under.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 21:18:10 »
Quote from: Rajagra;234985
Remember Daniel San. Wax on. Wax off.

Good advice. I think of that every time I have to wash the floor.

I always expect some little Japanese guy to come in, say "you have learned well" and give me a yellow 1948 Ford convertible. For some reason, it never happens.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 00:04:04 »
Zip ties for in-case stuff.

Stuff it behind my desk for peripheral stuff.

How many cables do you really have on your desk anyway? Even with my PC actually on my desk all I have is:
PC power cord
Monitor power
DVI
Headphone cord
Keyboard cord
Mouse cord

All of which tuck easily behind the desk.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W