Author Topic: How does a trackball compare to a mouse, RSI-wise?  (Read 4299 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

How does a trackball compare to a mouse, RSI-wise?
« on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:45:13 »
As the title goes. As a bonus, you could tell me if you can still keep up with regular mouse dudes when playing multiplayer RTS games with one.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:55:24 »
I can't say anything about RSI, but I know a guy who plays Starcraft and Unreal Tournament fairly competently with a trackball.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline jpc

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 17:50:30 »
No idea about gaming but for desktop use, my KEM v7 is my daily driver now. It's a joy to use, there's no sacrifice in speed or accuracy compared to a mouse.

Mice are less comfortable for me than they used to be. I'm old and falling apart. That's why I got started with trackballs.

I could not get used to the shape of the Clearly Superior Trackball, so it's for sale. Lots of people on geekhack like the CST L-Trac which is the same shape. It's an individual thing.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 14:28:02 »
For RSI, it's best to use both, switching every hour or so.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 14:36:16 »
Thankee. I've just bought one keyboard with a touchpad and another with a trackball, so maybe that will suffice for most of the mouse needs, i.e. whatever I do when using translation software and text editors (I typically use keyboard keys for selecting text). I might be having the same thing with mice: just no longer as good as they used to be. I have an A4tech X7 that certainly isn't the king of mice but is surely a good rodent and no matter what amount of weight I give or take using the weights attached, including zero load and very little weight, it's not good. It probably hurts less when using half load than when using none. The one I had before, a small wireless Logitech, gave me quite a lot of RSI.

Offline chrs

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 09:24:27 »
For me, a large trackball (Kensington "Expert Mouse") is better than small trackballs or mice.  Better yet--put it on the floor and operate with my feet.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 17:37:33 »
I have a Trackman Wheel at work and a Creative Velocity mouse at home. The trackball is far more comfortable because I tend to rest the pad of my hand against the desk while using the mouse, leading to numbness.

Also, I've used both index finger trackballs and thumb trackballs and I prefer thumb. The finger trackballs made my index finger; your fingers weren't designed to go left and right like that.
The Brat Prince of COBOL