Author Topic: triggered rant: FOOD  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Voixdelion

triggered rant: FOOD
« on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 22:51:04 »
While responding to the "quitting coffee" thread, I started to get on a bit of a rant about dieting misconceptions in general, so I figured I'd take the less pertinent (to that discussion) info and give it a space of its own instead:

Food myths abound!  

In some ways the whole "health consciousness" thing  has actually made people make less healthy food choices and poorer  eating habits.  SUGAR and FAT are not evil or unhealthy - they are   necessary in fact.  You are much better off eating good portions of  actual non-processed foods even with all the fat and sugar intact than  by strict "dieting".  "Sugar free" and "Fat Free" doesn't = healthy, it  is simply a marketing gimmick label that use the incorrect  preconceptions to increase sales.  Eating a variety of balanced and  nutritious foods mindful of when the body is sated = healthy.   Food  SHOULD have STUFF in it: vitamins, minerals, fiber, and that includes  CALORIES and FAT.  Our bodies were made to extract nutrition and  sustenance from this, not process empty filler "foodstuff" that just  takes up space in our stomach but doesn't FEED us. It's like putting  brake fluid in your gas tank and wondering why the car don't run...

Anything with saccharine or nutra sweet or equal or aspartame is more  likely to wreak havoc on your system (read: "cancer")than some sugar  calories, and some fat in your diet is actually better for you than none  at all because it aids in other functions.  Fat in food /= fat on the  body.  It is the difficult to break down complex carbs and starches that  the body converts to fat.  Many people can lose a significant amount of  weight and increase their health by cutting down significant amounts of  bread and pastas that use the processed flour.  That is the part of  cakes and cookies that is not so good for you  - the sugar is fairly  benign if you don't overdo it.   (for more info on this topic- see a  video called "Food Matters" on Netflix streaming if you have it.)

I think I was very lucky in that my mom raised me on good food, but  never forced me to clean my plate or worried that I wasn't always doing  so.  She figured I would eat when I got hungry and she was right.   I  have always been able to eat whatever garbage I want because I don't eat  only garbage, and will generally crave what I need -even veggies.  Because of eating in response to what my body signals, I've been able to   keep my metabolism in balance with the intake.  If I get the munchies  from boredom, I choose something that is more  active than swallowing-  sunflower seeds in the shell, perhaps, or even  gum. I eat when I'm  hungry and I stop when I am full.  I learned by age 19 that even if its  delicious, if I try to finish those last two bites of steak then 10  minutes later I'll regret forcing them down; I will suffer  gastrointestinal discomfort for 45 minutes as a result of gaining the  added 45 seconds of tastebud delight.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 23:04:47 »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline msiegel

funny, i was just watching this :D
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 23:10:41 »

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 00:47:34 »
Heh, heh -I've actually always had rather pronounced canine teeth -they are noticeably pointier and when younger we toyed with the idea of braces for several years before they settled back a little to be less noticeable.

I used to hate breakfast.  I am not a morning person, and I like to be awake for a little bit before I start eating.  Plus I never really liked the stuff people usually classified as "breakfast" foods. Pancakes, cereal, sausage, eggs all sounded very unappealing, and even reluctant to eat bacon which I love.   I could force down a chocolate iced donut and a cup of hot chocolate if pressed, but I would much rather eat dinner foods all day long.  Steak, chicken, mmmm.... (Dammit,... now I'm hungry.)

Easy and fast - hi protein fuel breakfast that I haven't had for a while which was a great way to start my day was actually kind of like sushi - I would have some seaweed sheets, heat up some rice and crack an egg over the hot rice (which cooks it in the process)  and mix in some (canned) salmon.  Spoon into seaweed and make a handroll - out the door in less than 10.  Also makes a great snack or lunch too.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 05:43:33 »
People usually thinks I'm a nutcase when I tell them what I like for breakfast. I usually eat about 2-3dl oatmeal porridge with 1/3 rye in it... without any extra sugar, salt, jam or other stupid stuff in it. I like the taste of oatmeal as it is. This together with a cup of black coffee... :)

But since this isn't really giving me enough nutritions (oatmeal is almost only fibres and carbohydrates) I usually also have a couple of bananas and an orange to get some vitamins and antioxidants.

I can easily stand on this until lunch.

Quote from: Voixdelion;238257
Easy and fast - hi protein fuel breakfast that I haven't had for a while which was a great way to start my day was actually kind of like sushi - I would have some seaweed sheets, heat up some rice and crack an egg over the hot rice (which cooks it in the process)  and mix in some (canned) salmon.  Spoon into seaweed and make a handroll - out the door in less than 10.  Also makes a great snack or lunch too.
This actually sound really good as lunch. And by using fullgrain rice it will also "refuel" those slow carbs at lunch so there is energy until supper.  

@didjamatic:
The girl in your clip have a very funny attitude against carbohydrate rich food for breakfast. What I know about nutritions is that there is no wrong in eating carbs... ever. As long as you stay away from fast carbs in all situation except when you are going to be training. Right before or in the middle of a training pass it's ok to eat fast carbs (such as suger) because you will probably have used them before your metabolism have reverted to resting phase.
Slow carbs on the other hand will be used slowly... if you eat them at breakfast they will not be used up until lunch. That way you will have energy the whole morning. Eating only proteins and fat for breakfast without any carbs will force your body to try to use these as energy. Problem is that it takes energy to use energy. And without the energy forms that is easy for the body to use, such as carbs, you will probably get cold and tired.
Point is... I'm a little sceptical on her "earning you carbs" system.
As I told almost all of my friends that are trying diets: "There is only one diet that work: Use more energy than you eat."
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2010, 06:09:50 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 05:48:06 »
There's a simple rule of thumb to sort food (I mean, ingredients you buy) in order of "healthyness".

From good to bad:

Unpackaged (whole veggies and fruit, nuts).
Packaged but only 1 ingredient (rice, unprocessed meat, milk).
Up to ~ 3 ingredients (plain dairy products; yoghurt, cheese, ).
More than ~ 3 ingredients (prepared sauces, condiments, some sausages etc).
Prepackaged meals.
Anything with health / diet claims (stay away from these at all cost unless your doctor actually recommends them).

The above can also be summarized as "Learn to cook! It's awesome and better for you!"

As far as fat is concerned, "unprocessed" natural fats are almost always preferable to hydrogenated fats. That means olive and peanut oil, butter and even lard are probably better for you than margerine, crisco and "light butterry-looking-spread-in-a-cup".
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2010, 05:58:53 by Superfluous Parentheses »
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 06:20:47 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;238299
There's a simple rule of thumb to sort food (I mean, ingredients you buy) in order of "healthyness".

From good to bad:

Unpackaged (whole veggies and fruit, nuts).
Packaged but only 1 ingredient (rice, unprocessed meat, milk).
Up to ~ 3 ingredients (plain dairy products; yoghurt, cheese, ).
More than ~ 3 ingredients (prepared sauces, condiments, some sausages etc).
Prepackaged meals.
Anything with health / diet claims (stay away from these at all cost unless your doctor actually recommends them).

The above can also be summarized as "Learn to cook! It's awesome and better for you!"

As far as fat is concerned, "unprocessed" natural fats are almost always preferable to hydrogenated fats. That means olive and peanut oil, butter and even lard are probably better for you than margerine, crisco and "light butterry-looking-spread-in-a-cup".

you got it.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 11:18:28 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;238299

Yup.  Did you know that margarine is only yellow because of the dye?  Apparently its natural color is gray.  Imagine "gray buttery tasting spread in a cup" and think of spreading THAT on your toast.... ew.

Quote from: zmurf;238298
As long as you stay away from fast carbs in all  situation except when  you are going to be training. Right before or in the middle of a  training pass it's ok to eat fast carbs (such as suger) because you will  probably have used them before your metabolism have reverted to resting  phase.
 Slow carbs on the other hand will be used slowly... if you eat them at  breakfast they will not be used up until lunch.

From what I understand, you've got the logic a little mixed up.  You actually want to burn the fuel quickly, you don't want to store the energy by pickling it or slow roasting it in the digestive juices for long times (your stomach is not a crock pot and first thing in the morning the metabolism is already in the resting phase). This is why the slow "complex" carbs -slow because they are harder to break down- are more likely to end up being stored as fat cells than "simple" carb sugars  because the sugars will actually be consumed/burned/used up.  Too much "sweets" usually is in reference to the cakes and cookies (heavy in the slow carbs as well as sugar).  Otherwise one could get pretty fat by eating fruit alone.  I think you only want to be doing the SLOW carb when the metabolism is up high enough to break it down and make use of it instead of tucking it away as fat - hence not for breakfast because you will have to expend more energy to process it unless you've turned up the heat first.  But definitely a better choice at breakfast than for dinner before bed...

I would think of a fireplace where you can burn newspaper (simple sugar)  or a cord of hard wood (slow complex carb) - which is likely to heat the room immediately and what debris is left over when the flame expires from each?   In my experience the cord of wood rarely even burns to the inner core, leaving behind a charred and smoldering log, while the newspaper will leave only ash.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2010, 11:41:20 by Voixdelion »

Offline zmurf

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 14:35:09 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;238425
You actually want to burn the fuel quickly, you don't want to store the energy by pickling it or slow roasting it in the digestive juices for long times (your stomach is not a crock pot and first thing in the morning the metabolism is already in the resting phase). This is why the slow "complex" carbs -slow because they are harder to break down- are more likely to end up being stored as fat cells than "simple" carb sugars  because the sugars will actually be consumed/burned/used up.  Too much "sweets" usually is in reference to the cakes and cookies (heavy in the slow carbs as well as sugar).  Otherwise one could get pretty fat by eating fruit alone.  I think you only want to be doing the SLOW carb when the metabolism is up high enough to break it down and make use of it instead of tucking it away as fat - hence not for breakfast because you will have to expend more energy to process it unless you've turned up the heat first. But definitely a better choice at breakfast than for dinner before bed...

I would think of a fireplace where you can burn newspaper (simple sugar)  or a cord of hard wood (slow complex carb) - which is likely to heat the room immediately and what debris is left over when the flame expires from each?   In my experience the cord of wood rarely even burns to the inner core, leaving behind a charred and smoldering log, while the newspaper will leave only ash.

Err... well. You are mixing you apples with you pears. You have to understand that fat and carbs isn't the same kind of energy for your body and that it isn't used linearly, but parallely. Complex carbs is, unlike fat, still quite easy for the body to use. And the body can't store carbs as fat. This is a very usual misconception... the same way that very many people believes that muscles are "converted" into fat when you stop training, which is totally wrong. What appends is that the body stores the fat in the food as long as it has carbs to use instead since the carbs is easier to use. And the easier the carbs is to use the less fat the body use at the same time. When eating suger you body more or less tucks away ALL the fat that is in the rest of the food. If you eat a hamburger and drink a non diet coke all the sugar in the coke will make you body store away all the fat in the burger since it don't need to use it.
And if you eat NO carbs the body will use try to use only fat. This is how low carb diets work. You force the body to use all fat you eat instead of storing it. But it works bad since you need easier energy to be able to use proteins and fat in a good way. With no carbs in your body you will actually never be able to use up all your fat (look at someone really skinny that is on Atkinson diet and you will notice that they still have quite a high body fat percentage.). And also there is a lot of different body functions that actually needs carbs of other reasons... The same way that it needs fat, proteins, vitamins, and a lot of other stuff.  
You would actually be able to loose weight after the same principle on a carb only diet. But this would be a even worse idea since you need fat to build new cells since the cell membranes is made out of fat and you would eventually die since your body can't build new cells.

The problem with eating fast carbs is that they are used so fast that if you eat them at breakfast you will not have any carbs left in the body long before lunch. This will result in that you body will try to use fat instead but since you don't have any easy energy to use for burning the fat you will get tired... and probably also get some cravings for sweet to replace does missing carbs which your body want to be able to use you fats.

By eating slow carbs in moderate amounts and NO fast carbs your body will burn both fat and carbs the whole morning until lunch. Also by eating full grain your body won't process all the carbs in the full grain since the human body can't process some kinds of fibre compositions.

If we take your fireplace example:
Fast carbs (suger) = paper
Slow carbs = kindling-wood
Fat = Firewood.
You can easily start a fire with paper... but its hard to start the actual firewood with paper only. And it's useless to use paper for trying to burn up everything of the firewood (You will have to throw in a lot of paper for a long time). This is kindling-wood much better for. It's not as easy to make kindling-wood to burn as paper... but it's still not that hard. But it's much easier to make the firewood to burn with kindling-wood. And it is almost the only way to actually be able to burn up all the firewood by throwing in some kindling-wood continuously (You won't have to throw in as much kindling-wood and not as often as you would have to do with the paper). And this is where your body differ from the fireplace (which isn't that strange since your body isn't anything like a fireplace.). In the fireplace you would be able to burn up the firewood by throwing in lots and lots of paper... but in your bode you won't be able to burn up you fat by throwing in lots and lots of fast carbs. If you do your body will just put away the fat and use the fast carbs instead. See it like if the fire would choose to use the paper instead of the firewood.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 October 2010, 02:46:56 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 15:55:16 »
Yup.  Did you know that margarine is only yellow because of the dye?  Apparently its natural color is gray.  Imagine "gray buttery tasting spread in a cup" and think of spreading THAT on your toast.... ew.

AFAIK, and wikipedia backs me up on this, margarine is pretty much white, naturally. The typical "butter substitutes" are colored using some kind of carotene-like substance. I heard stories of it being forced by law to be colored RED in the UK early in its history, but I can't find any backup for that, so it's probably a myth.
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 19:34:26 »
I love my fried food. It's good for my taste buds.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2010, 19:34:44 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline zmurf

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 15:03:27 »
From what I understand, you've got the logic a little mixed up.  You actually want to burn the fuel quickly.

To continue from where I ended last time... (ranting and raving and caring on :wink: )
This isn't either exactly right. We don't want to burn our fuel as quickly as possible. We want to burn our fuel in the same rate as the amount of energy we are using. Lets convert it into numbers.
Lets start with a training man who is running at 12km/h in 30min. He will have used about 500kCal. This is approximately the same rate as how fast sugar can be used in the body. Meaning that if the running man ate 500kCal of sugar 30 minutes before he started training he will have burned all those kCal after he have finished running.
Then we have a man working in an office and then going home, watching TV, and then going to bed. He use approximately 2500kCal in the entire day. this means that he uses 104kCal/hour (Compared to the running man who used 1000kCal/hour (while he were running... it will of course slow down afterwards... but he will still have some "after burn" in his body several hours after he been running.)). If he eats breakfast at 07.00, start working at 08.00, and get lunch at 12.00 it means that he uses 520kCal between breakfast and lunch. Which means that he probably want to eat about 450kCal to breakfast and then refill with about 70kCal at about 10.00-11.00.
It's here is were your theory with eating as fast carbs as possible don't work. If you eat 450kCal sugar as breakfast you body will have worked through all of the fast carbs in the suger well before 08.00. But since your body only needed about 100kCal it will try to store the rest of the 350kCal. Since the body can't convert carbs into fat it have to store it in other ways. And the best way for sugar is as blood sugar. This will make you peak and crash. It's also bad to have high blood sugar since it can lead to diabetes.
If you instead eat something like rye which is slow carbs the body can't process more then about 100-150kCal of these per hour. Which means that if you eat 450kCal of rye you won't have used the energy in this until 10.00-11.00... and the body won't have tried to store anything since you have used as much per hour as your body has needed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 October 2010, 00:45:28 by zmurf »

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 15:25:42 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;238594
AFAIK, and wikipedia backs me up on this, margarine is pretty much white, naturally. The typical "butter substitutes" are colored using some kind of carotene-like substance. I heard stories of it being forced by law to be colored RED in the UK early in its history, but I can't find any backup for that, so it's probably a myth.

It was white when I lived in Quebec, as up until recently, it was illegal there to make/sell a butter substitute that looked like the real thing.

When I went back home, it was instantly noticeable when I would crack open the becel.

** edit: yer link says exactly that
Quebec, the last Canadian province to regulate margarine coloring, repealed its law requiring margarine to be colorless in July, 2008.

anyway, Im saying I concur from experience that finished product margarine is white. However, there is an intermediate step in the process where margarine is actually grey. This is before it is even flavoured though, so it is not technically margarine then.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 October 2010, 15:41:36 by instantkamera »
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 15:27:49 »
The funny thing is it seems that margarine is too yellow here in the US. Butter is noticeably whiter.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 15:46:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;239075
The funny thing is it seems that margarine is too yellow here in the US. Butter is noticeably whiter.

well it all depends, because guess what:

They dye BUTTER too!

Offline zefrer

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 16:45:06 »
My butter is dye sublimated.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 19:35:25 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;238236
While responding to the "quitting coffee" thread, I started to get on a bit of a rant about dieting misconceptions in general, so I figured I'd take the less pertinent (to that discussion) info and give it a space of its own instead:

Food myths abound!  

In some ways the whole "health consciousness" thing  has actually made people make less healthy food choices and poorer  eating habits.  SUGAR and FAT are not evil or unhealthy - they are   necessary in fact.  You are much better off eating good portions of  actual non-processed foods even with all the fat and sugar intact than  by strict "dieting".  "Sugar free" and "Fat Free" doesn't = healthy, it  is simply a marketing gimmick label that use the incorrect  preconceptions to increase sales.  Eating a variety of balanced and  nutritious foods mindful of when the body is sated = healthy.   Food  SHOULD have STUFF in it: vitamins, minerals, fiber, and that includes  CALORIES and FAT.  Our bodies were made to extract nutrition and  sustenance from this, not process empty filler "foodstuff" that just  takes up space in our stomach but doesn't FEED us. It's like putting  brake fluid in your gas tank and wondering why the car don't run...

Anything with saccharine or nutra sweet or equal or aspartame is more  likely to wreak havoc on your system (read: "cancer")than some sugar  calories, and some fat in your diet is actually better for you than none  at all because it aids in other functions.  Fat in food /= fat on the  body.  It is the difficult to break down complex carbs and starches that  the body converts to fat.  Many people can lose a significant amount of  weight and increase their health by cutting down significant amounts of  bread and pastas that use the processed flour.  That is the part of  cakes and cookies that is not so good for you  - the sugar is fairly  benign if you don't overdo it.   (for more info on this topic- see a  video called "Food Matters" on Netflix streaming if you have it.)

Agreed. Dieting does not work anyway. People who go on various diet programmes usually end up with more weight that the few Kg they were trying to get rid of.

The secret is not so secret: burn what you consume.  One the things that initially surprised me in France was how can the French consume so much pastries (which contain a lot of butter and sugar) and still don't face obesity as in North America (they do but not to the same extent). Then I got my answer. They walk a lot. In Canada, the same applies to the Mennonites. They eat a lot, but they work hard too.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 01:44:50 »
The secret is to use "diet" as a noun, not a verb.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 03:35:01 »
Quote from: Rajagra;239725
The secret is to use "diet" as a noun, not a verb.

Why not as a verb? Is this a difference between American and British English? I have heard "dieting" quite often in Canada. The Oxford dictionary on my Mac gives this:

diet 1 |ˈdī-it|
noun
the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats : a vegetarian diet | a specialist in diet.
• a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons : I'm going on a diet.
• [as adj. ] (of food or drink) with reduced fat or sugar content : diet soft drinks.
• figurative a regular occupation or series of activities in which one participates : a healthy diet of classical music.
verb ( dieted |ˈdaɪədəd|, dieting |ˈdaɪədɪŋ|) [ intrans. ]
restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight : it's difficult to diet.
DERIVATIVES
dieter |ˈdaɪədər| noun
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French diete (noun), dieter (verb), via Latin from Greek diaita ‘a way of life.’
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 October 2010, 03:44:42 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline zmurf

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 03:38:40 »
Everybody has some kind of diet... even though there diet might not have any certain purpose.

e.g. you can ask anyone "what's your daily diet?"... and the answer will be what day eat an ordinary day. :)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 04:37:07 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;239727
Why not as a verb?

The definitions you gave are why.

To diet means to restrict intake.
You don't need to do that. You need to have a healthy diet, suitable for your needs.

Diet as a verb is a terrible, negative word. Not only does it imply an artificial, inadequate eating plan, it also implies it's something you do that comes to an end, after which you revert to bad habits.

The only sensible approach is to change your eating habits, so you are eating healthily, and stick to that for life. There's no point 'dieting' unless you make that change first.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 04:55:14 »
I try to eat healthy, but I'm a slave to my appetite. Stuff is just too tasty. It ain't right unless I am stuffed.

Also! Eurgh, sweeteners. That stuff tastes just vile and it makes you want sugar. How twisted are some people's tastebuds that they can enjoy Diet Coke?

By the way, something that is absolutely healthy and yet tastes like the worst chemical concoction ever: Aloe Vera juice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 October 2010, 04:59:33 by godly_music »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 05:07:06 »
Quote from: godly_music;239731
By the way, something that is absolutely healthy and yet tastes like the worst chemical concoction ever: Aloe Vera juice.

Haha, yes. The only thing I've ever taken that I had to read the label twenty times to convince myself it was really for internal use.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 06:01:12 »
Quote from: Rajagra;239730
The definitions you gave are why.

You don't need to do that. You need to have a healthy diet, suitable for your needs.

Diet as a verb is a terrible, negative word. Not only does it imply an artificial, inadequate eating plan, it also implies it's something you do that comes to an end, after which you revert to bad habits.

The only sensible approach is to change your eating habits, so you are eating healthily, and stick to that for life. There's no point 'dieting' unless you make that change first.

Thanks for the info.

Offline zmurf

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 08:35:40 »
Quote from: Rajagra;239730

Isn't diet used as a word to describe what you eat? Not necessarily that it is a restricted intake?

If you watch something like Animal Planet and they have some documentary about... well... lets say polar bears. Wouldn't they say something like "Polar bares live on a diet of seals and fish" to describe what they eat?

Also. Body builders that are bulking usually says that they are on a diet. And when they bulk they do not in any way restrict their intake... rather the opposite.

I don't know... I have never thought of the word "diet" as something bad... "dieting" on the other hand. That word sound more like you trying to lose weight by using crappy processed food with lots of additives and avoiding to eat. Which, as many have said earlier, is a bad way to try to lose weight. Much better to eat what you want but ensure that you really use all the energy you eat... that will say: "eat with reason and move more"

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 08:41:41 »
Quote from: zmurf;239791
Isn't diet used as a word to describe what you eat? Not necessarily that it is a restricted intake?

If you watch something like Animal Planet and they have some documentary about... well... lets say polar bears. Wouldn't they say something like "Polar bares live on a diet of seals and fish" to describe what they eat?

Also. Body builders that are bulking usually says that they are on a diet. And when they bulk they do not in any way restrict their intake... rather the opposite.

I don't know... I have never thought of the word "diet" as something bad... "dieting" on the other hand. That word sound more like you trying to lose weight by using crappy processed food with lots of additives and avoiding to eat. Which, as many have said earlier, is a bad way to try to lose weight. Much better to eat what you want but ensure that you really use all the energy you eat... that will say: "eat with reason and move more"

He basically explained this already:

"to diet" ... VERB, not "diet".

Offline zmurf

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 08:50:47 »
Quote from: instantkamera;239795
He basically explained this already:

"to diet" ... VERB, not "diet".

Aha... yes... ok... I didn't read carefully enough... stupid me... :)