Author Topic: Large-ball trackballs with wrist support (FX-style)?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline rxmd

Large-ball trackballs with wrist support (FX-style)?
« on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 03:36:55 »
Hi guys & gals,

this being my first post to the forum, first thing I'd like to say hi to everyone, this looks like a great community - been lurking for a while.

That said, I'm looking for a trackball due to carpal tunnel - the keyboard side is more or less covered (moved from Thinkpad laptop keyboards to a Model M, and then to a split adjustable Fujitsu KBPC-E), but the trackball side is a problem. I borrowed a friend's Logitech Cordless FX for a while and found it great, but the two I Cordless FX I ordered afterwards both had problems maintaining a connection (I checked in various locations, with the original receivers as well as my friend's). Now I'm looking for a new trackball with a large ball, preferably driven by the fingertips, and some kind of wrist support.

Large-ball trackballs I've tried out:
- Logitech Cordless FX, this is great, but I can't seem to find working specimens and, having sunk into non-working ones something like 50 EUR each, I'm not too enthusiastic.
- Logitech Cordless Trackman Marble: doesn't work with my hands. The smallish ball might be OK, but in particular the rather difficult-to-press thumb button moving inwards (rather than downwards with the FX) basically spoils it.
- Logitech Marble FX: armrest doesn't for my big hands due to the symmetric construction; I see the appeal of a symmetric model from a marketing viewpoint but the shape doesn't cut it.
- Kensington, an older model. Feels awkward because there is no armrest - either my hand rests at an awkward angle which gets painful after a while, or my hand lies flat on top of the ball which feels even more awkward.

I haven't tried a Microsoft Trackman Explorer yet, but they're hard to find and sell for prices that are well beyond buy-to-test territorry.

Does it only seem to me that what I'm looking for doesn't really exist anymore, or is being traded used for astronomical prices? Or am I missing a model here?

Offline jpc

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 08:36:29 »
Try a palm rest with the older model full-size Kensington, something that supports your palm 1/2" to 3/4" high should do. I cut about 4" off the end of a foam (not gel!) keyboard wrist rest. Those foam wrist rests (really it's a palm rest) are getting hard to find now, I can't find a pic of one...

Or get a Kensington Expert Mouse v7, it comes with a pretty good palm rest, this is my daily driver now.

I'm selling a full size trackball, an opto-mechanical USB model made by Clearly Superior Trackball, because I couldn't get comfy with it. It's the same shape as the CST L-Trac and L-TracX that a lot of geekhackers like. Have a look at the CST trackballs. They fit a billiard ball which is fun :)

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 October 2010, 09:09:57 »
It seems quite common for people to make stands for trackballs to get them working the way they want. Here's just a quick and dirty example I did, if I was using this trackball I'd make something decent.

I may get a CST L-Trac some day, they are a similar shape to my Microspeed, but with modern internals suitable for today's screen resolutions.