Author Topic: Masonic inquiry  (Read 5855 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Masonic inquiry
« on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 00:56:54 »
Just curious if any of the geekhackers are Freemasons.  (or if any of you have/had masonic family members)

Offline Phaedrus2129

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 01:13:46 »
I think I have a second cousin that's a Freemason. But I see him like once every five years, so...
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 04:20:36 »
I'd tell you, but first we'd have to do the secret handshake.

And no Ripster, not that kind of handshake...

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 07:33:36 »
I have a friend who's been trying to get me to join for a while...but I never did. It always seemed a bit weird to me. Kind of like a boy scouts for adults.

Offline Findecanor

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 08:42:33 »
I found that in Sweden, the Freemasons over here are set apart from other lodges in the world in that they require every member to be male and of the Christian faith -- not just a free person who believes. They even use a red cross as their symbol.
I have been a little bit interested, but the explicit religious requirement excludes me, as I am not Christian (any more).
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 October 2010, 08:48:35 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 08:52:05 »
Nobody in my family's a freemason.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Phaedrus2129

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 09:33:32 »
Quote from: Findecanor;240446
I found that in Sweden, the Freemasons over here are set apart from other lodges in the world in that they require every member to be male and of the Christian faith -- not just a free person who believes. They even use a red cross as their symbol.
I have been a little bit interested, but the explicit religious requirement excludes me, as I am not Christian (any more).

Apparently that's pretty typical. Most require you to be male, and most require you to believe in a deity, though they don't usually specify which deity (obviously in most places it's assumed to be the Christian god).
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kriminal

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 10:42:15 »
my friends father was one, but he died too.
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline vils

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 10:47:25 »
Quote from: kriminal;240492
but he died too.

The plot thickens...
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline Brian8bit

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 10:48:06 »
Not a mason, but I am in the Orange Order.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 11:23:42 »
I once did some programming work for someone who was a Freemason as he happened to note in passing. Also, I am familiar enough with them to recognize that If This Goes On... was about them.

However, I just recently learned that the Shriners, instead of being an independent fraternal organization that one can join directly, are, in fact, an auxilliary organization that (only) Freemasons can join.

What started me off learning about this was finding this video on YouTube:

The official name of the Shriners, as the notes on that video tell us, is: The Ancient Arabic Order Of The Nobles Of The Mystic Shrine.

And then there's the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order Of The Nobles Of The Mystic Shrine, which had to exist as a separate organization because of certain unhappy characteristics of the bad old days.

Incidentally, it can be seen from the video that the piano roll

is for an 88-key Duo-Art reproducing piano, as is evident from the "snakebite" or "ditto mark" Themodist perforations along the sides. The player piano used to play the roll in the video, however, is not a reproducing piano; but one can see from its tracker bar that it is able to play rolls in both the 88-note and 65-note formats.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 October 2010, 11:28:59 by quadibloc »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 12:23:27 »
I prefer Golden Dawn to Freemasons. More cookies.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline chimera15

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 17:24:22 »
Freemasons have one of their lodges/temples?  What ever you call them down the street from where I live.  It's pretty interesting, sometimes they have events till real late at night, like 2 or 3 am.  Most of the time the building seems like it's completely empty with no one there, no cars in the parking lot.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Rajagra

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 18:34:10 »
I bet for every member of the Masons there are ten people who claim to be.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 20:57:49 »
Quote from: ricercar;240519
I prefer Golden Dawn to Freemasons. More cookies.
I didn't get that joke, so I had to Google up the Golden Dawn supermarket in New Kensington, Pennsylvania.

Despite being in Pennsylvania, I see their phone number is (724) 339-6685, instead of 736-5000.

Unless maybe this is a reference to the Nuclear Platypus Biscuit Bible. Or a brand of cookies, jelly rolls, and similar pastries that I just failed to Google.

Ah, there's Golden Dawn Flour, a product of ADM Milling, which can be used to make cookies!

Quote from: ricercar;240519
I used to drive a Heisenberg, but whenever I glanced at the speedometer, I'd get lost.
You need to drive a real car. Like a Duesenberg.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 October 2010, 21:08:34 by quadibloc »

Offline WhiteRice

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 11:33:32 »
My grandfather was a master mason. I don't know too much about it, but I got a pin when he passed.

I always figured it was just a fraternity for adults.

Offline pikapika

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 13:46:25 »
Quote from: quadibloc;240626
I didn't get that joke, so I had to Google up the Golden Dawn supermarket in New Kensington, Pennsylvania.

didn't get the reference too

made me think of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetic_Order_of_the_Golden_Dawn

which had aleister crowley as member

Offline pikapika

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 14:01:34 »
i prefered "the name of the rose", though about secret sects, the foucault pendulum has more references, but i found it quite boring to read

Offline Zen

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 14:13:11 »

Offline pikapika

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 14:14:41 »
I predict we'll soon hit the conspiracy theory :-)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 15:19:09 »
Quote from: pikapika;241176
made me think of this
It was intended to, as they were an esoteric order, as the Masons are, sort of. But the cookies, presumably, tied into a double meaning which I missed.

Offline Findecanor

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 16:20:31 »
I read Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol earlier this year. It is a fictional story, the story is almost a direct copy of that from his The Da Vinci Code, but with the secrets of the Holy Grail replaced with the secrets of Freemasonry.
There are a whole lot of conspiracy theories about the links between the Freemasons and the US government in the book but in all it shows the Freemasons in a very positive light. It claims that the "founding fathers" of the USA were Freemasons and that they had created the city of Washington and all its important buildings based on Masonic ideals and symbolism.

Personally, though... I get the impression that Freemasons is mostly a club for elitists who already feel that they are better than everybody else, because of some reason or other.
However, what sets them apart from other elitist clubs organizations for mutual admiration (such as Mensa ...) is that they are also striving to make themselves feel as if they are better than others in a spiritual way.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 November 2010, 16:29:36 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Masonic inquiry
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 00:39:22 »
Quote from: Findecanor;241275
Personally, though... I get the impression that Freemasons is mostly a club for elitists who already feel that they are better than everybody else, because of some reason or other.
I have heard the Freemasons accused of supporting one another through cronyism, for example in Britain.

Originally, at least, the Freemasons were "elitist", I suppose, because they supported allowing individual religious and political freedom - as opposed to the rulers and the church of the time which suppressed religious minorities and political dissent. That I see as a good thing. If it makes them feel elitist about themselves compared to people like Sarah Palin, I don't see where that's a problem.

But while I'm a liberal by temperament, I'm a conservative in relation to most of the things that have become controversial issues today. The politicians I admire are those who are basically liberals, but who fell asleep after the 1960s and didn't hop on the new liberal bandwagons that arrived after that time.

Offline EverythingIBM

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 01:21:17 »
Freemasonry is for people who have self-esteem issues.
It tries to hide things in a very sloppy manner, and often or not diverges into occultic rubbish in the higher degrees (most people are "baby freemasons" and don't bother to go deep in it).

For the conspiracy nuts, freemasons are not taking over the world. Most lodges are open to tourists anyways; they won't drag you in some secret torture chamber. The most they'll do is lie and bore you to death as they brag about how much money they give to charity. Ergo; ego issues.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline djmoymoy

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 01:34:31 »
Apparently my cousin is a Mason. I asked him about it. He said it was just a bunch of older guys who got together to drink from time to time.

Offline British

Masonic inquiry
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 02:31:37 »
Quote from: djmoymoy;241973
Apparently my cousin is a Mason. I asked him about it. He said it was just a bunch of older guys who got together to drink from time to time.

1st rule of the Fight Club: you do not talk about the Fight Club.
2nd rule of the Fight Club: you DO NOT talk about the Fight Club.