Author Topic: True Colors  (Read 10931 times)

Offline a_fluffy_kitten

True Colors
« on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 07:12:42 »
First, let me address the obvious questions:

1) Is this the appropriate forum to post this question?
A) Probably not.  But I've been to forums that would be considered more appropriate and honestly, they are full of people frothing at the mouth about this subject.  That's way more serious than I want to get.

2) Aren't there reviews on the internet?
A) Sure, but they all seem to fall into one of two categories: either they are all frothy-at-the-mouth (see above), or they sound like shills for the product.  Neither case is interesting.

So with that out of the way, what if you're a casual computer user and photographer that just wants the colors on his two desktops and two laptops (each with a single monitor) to be accurate?

There's this:
http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3express.php

Moving up the price scale a bit means you can have this:
http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=562&ca=2

Raiding the piggy bank a bit more gets you this:
http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3pro.php

And continuing up the price scale means you can look down your nose at your friends while holding one of these:
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=789
http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=108&ca=2
http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3elite.php

So where's the sweet spot in price/performance for a casual user?
2x Filco Blue Tenkeyless (and boy are they nice)

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 07:40:23 »
Good question... I'm in the market for a 30" monitor, and it seems like most of the nice ones out there are wide-gamut. I want to be able to calibrate it, but it seems that reasonably priced colorimeters can't do the job correctly on wide-gamut, so you have to drop a lot of money on pricier spectrophotometers (the Colormunki seems to be the most reasonably priced of these, but still is pretty expensive).

Even with calibration, getting everything looking "correct" is such a huge pain in the ass if you're not using an sRGB monitor. I've never been able to get my head around all of it.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline Rajagra

True Colors
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 07:42:25 »
I have a Spyder. Sadly it's the old version and won't work in Vista, and the new software won't work with it. But when it works it does a great job. The only difference between the Pro and normal version was how the software handled transferring profiles to multiple PCs, but that wasn't important if you just profile each PC on its own.

I think you'll be fine with the first option you gave. Might want to check the licensing and whether they use product activation, to make sure you can use it on all the PCs. If not you might have to do a workaround - install on 1 PC at a time, calibrate, save the colour profile, uninstall, and move on to next PC.

I'm not too sure about the Huey with the ambient light detection and real time adjustment. That seems to me like having a screen that's never properly calibrated, or only right once a day, like a broken clock. And I did read bad things about the early versions.

Offline zefrer

True Colors
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 07:46:38 »
Fwiffo brings up a good point - can your monitor display a wide enough gamut of colors that calibration will make a difference?
Is calibration necessary on, say, a TN film based monitor with a 80-90% reproduction of the Adobe RGB standard? That is what you'd expect from a regular LCD monitor. I don't know btw, I'm asking.

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 07:53:33 »
Yes, it is important to calibrate a standard gamut monitor if you're doing any kind of graphics work. It's probably more important for print work than web work (most people do not have a calibrated setup).

But even if you're not doing graphics work, it's worth doing so that games and everything look right. Borrowing a calibration tool from work is a good way to make it affordable.

Offline Rajagra

True Colors
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 08:00:33 »
tbh the crappier the monitor, the more it benefits from calibration.

I remember when Doom3 came out and everyone complained it was too dark to see anything. I had no such problem with a calibrated screen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 November 2010, 08:02:56 by Rajagra »

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 08:10:27 »
I would steer clear of the x-rite products in general, I HAVE actually owned both the huey pro and i1d2, the former is a piece of ****, and the latter seems to be hit and miss.

I have heard good things about the Color Munki, but that might be out of your price range.

all the syder3 are basically the same hardware (the pro and elite have an ambient light sensor, but use the same internals as far as colorimeter is concerned), with different software. They are a dependable device by all accounts (much better than the orignal (which I owned) and 2nd gen).

Few points:

1 - you get what you paid for. The cheaper solutions are going to cost you more down the road when you arent pleased with the results and do like I have done.

2 - Given a decent device, the power is all in the software. If I were you (presumably a win/mac user), I would do one of two things:

a) buy a colorEyes Display Pro bundle with the dtp-94 (old monaco optix) or spyder3 and be done with it. This software is highly regarded and it works with many 3rd party devices.

b) get a sypder3 as cheap as possible and use it with a free CMS (I use ArgyllCMS and Dispcalgui now as a linux user, but binaries for mac/win are available).
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline zefrer

True Colors
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 08:22:43 »
Are there any os independent calibrators?

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 08:29:51 »
Quote from: zefrer;241526
Are there any os independent calibrators?

As "calibration" is now generally used to refer to both the calibrate AND profile processes, you will find that any colorimeter without software (and specifically, software that interacts with your OS) is fairly useless.

That being said, I use argyllCMS/dispcalgui under linux with my i1d2, and many more mainstream devices are supported. See:

http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/#instruments
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 08:55:55 »
Also, if you create an icm profile of your monitor in Windows (e.g. dual booting or using VMware or something), the file is a standard format that can be loaded by argyllCMS or xcalib in linux.

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 09:39:16 »
Quote from: ripster;241536
The Huey was pretty bad.

The Xrite i1 kicks butt.

As mentioned, I disagree (and I'm using one - have used it on 4 different systems, as many different software platforms. Never consistent (between calibration/profile on same platform). Other have said the same. If you get a good one, I suppose it's that much easier to love.

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 10:24:19 »
Quote from: ripster;241578
Your solution is also twice the price at $300.

For that I'd get Lightroom first (beat up a kid and steal his student ID card for the educational discount) and have both.

MY solution is NOT twice the price. I use linux, with argyllCMS/dispcalgui. Using digikam, which is (unfortunately) the most well developed and comprehensive photo management tool offered on the linux platform. This is unfortunate because it brings with it a ton of KDE deps. I have only to spend money to replace the i1d2, a spyder3 express will do.

If you are talking about ColorEyes, well, by all accounts it is worth the price.

Offline Voixdelion

True Colors
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 15:46:55 »
While I've seen lots of stuff that essentially is supposed to sync multiple monitors, I've not come across anything like what came with my Samsung Syncmaster MP (which has the most gorgeous picture for an LCD I've seen even though its quite old.)

My Syncmaster 170MP came with little with an odd sort of dark teal/grey/green/aqua colorforms-like vinyl piece and some software ("colorific" maybe?) that actually calibrates the monitor to that real world color so that not only were they consistent across monitors and printers but true to life.  I think it does ask you to type in the number code on that at some point, but I'm not sure why since somewhere during the process of calibrating, it tells you stick the thing on the screen itself and fiddle with the brightness, contrast, gamma et all to make it match the little rectangle and it was quite effective.  I still think thats been the best tool I've seen for getting stuff to look the same across different hardware as well as true to life.  Perhaps that's part o the reason the picture on my Samsung has always gotten so many compliments.  (I actually surprised myself when I bought it because I couldn't believe I liked the picture better than the Sony monitor at the time - EVERYTHING I had was SONY but this.)

I don't know if that little colored vinyl piece was of Samsung or of Colorific design, but it works great.   Then again, this was all stuff from pre-2003 so this might not be relevant now anyway.  Still, it was a good idea...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Voixdelion

True Colors
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 15:52:15 »
Quote from: ripster;241602
I was talking about the ColorEyes being twice as expensive.

hah - I assumed Voix was the OP.  But since he wanted a simple solution...

Yeh, I almost thought that myself... Have to double-take every time I see that avatar - It's weird that the color of those is so similar in tone...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 15:58:07 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;241745
While I've seen lots of stuff that essentially is supposed to sync multiple monitors, I've not come across anything like what came with my Samsung Syncmaster MP (which has the most gorgeous picture for an LCD I've seen even though its quite old.)

My Syncmaster 170MP came with little with an odd sort of dark teal/grey/green/aqua colorforms-like vinyl piece and some software ("colorific" maybe?) that actually calibrates the monitor to that real world color so that not only were they consistent across monitors and printers but true to life.  I think it does ask you to type in the number code on that at some point, but I'm not sure why since somewhere during the process of calibrating, it tells you stick the thing on the screen itself and fiddle with the brightness, contrast, gamma et all to make it match the little rectangle and it was quite effective.  I still think thats been the best tool I've seen for getting stuff to look the same across different hardware as well as true to life.  Perhaps that's part o the reason the picture on my Samsung has always gotten so many compliments.  (I actually surprised myself when I bought it because I couldn't believe I liked the picture better than the Sony monitor at the time - EVERYTHING I had was SONY but this.)

I don't know if that little colored vinyl piece was of Samsung or of Colorific design, but it works great.   Then again, this was all stuff from pre-2003 so this might not be relevant now anyway.  Still, it was a good idea...

Unless I am misunderstanding, this requires your judgement, which is precisely why it is NOT the best tool for colour calibration. Your eyes lie, no ones eyes work the same, and you are comparing subtractive (light reflecting from the patch of colour) vs. additive colour (light emitting from the source). This also doesn't take into account aging/weathering of the patches etc etc.

Offline jeyoung

True Colors
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 16:29:50 »
Whichever you choose, make sure that it can measure wide gamuts.

I have a Spyder2 that does not support wide gamut measurements, so the colours are off in certain Windows 7 applications on a wide-gamut screen when the colour profile is loaded with the built-in colour management utility. I get around this by adjusting the LUT directly with XCalib (an open-source utility) -- as opposed to having Windows adjust the colours according to the colour profile.

Offline Rajagra

True Colors
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 22:57:58 »
I think a lot of claptrap is spoken about gamuts. I've never been convinced by the argument that RGB cannot represent all the colours that the eye can see.

The simplistic argument is that combining three primary colours to represent all others is a bit like combining three tones to generate all the intermediate sound frequencies - i.e. it can't be done.

But the difference is the human ear has vast numbers of different sensors for different frequencies, each with a narrow response range. The human eye only has three classes of colour sensors, for red green and blue light.

My theory* is they each have a wide response range. So pure red light triggers red cells strongly, but not the others. As colour varies from red to green the red sensors are stimulated less, while the green sensor response rises. Yellow frequency light might cause both the red and green sensors to activate by 50%. If so then you can give the same perception of colour by combining 50% strength red and green lights.

I think the only reason RGB falls down is individual response differs between people. Because responsiveness to each colour varies, different people may need different RGB combinations to represent a certain colour. Because of this, if you attempt to recreate a colour by RGB and present it side by side with an object of the actual colour, some people will see them as different. Some - "experts" - will give this as proof that some colours can't be shown using the RGB model. I'd argue it just means the RGB model is just inconsistent between the people viewing, but for a given colour you *can* make a given person percieve that colour with an RGB combination.

In other words you need to calibrate the display to the viewer's eyes.

(*OK, that is just conventional theory, but expressed in my words.)

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 23:22:31 »
Actually, there's been a lot of research on the subject, so there's no need for armchair speculation. We actually know a lot about human vision works based on actual data gathered in actual experiments.

There are a couple things wrong with your theory.

1) The color elements on a computer display are not pure, monochromatic colors. I.e. the green elements are not pure green of a single spectra. It is possible to have purer, more saturated green.

2) The colors produced by combining the RGB primaries only produce part of the visible spectrum. For instance, if you combine red and blue in the right amounts, you get a violet color, but a pure, monochromatic violet color can actually be significantly more vivid and saturated.

Take a look at this Wikipedia article:

Here's a diagram comparing the spectrum visible to humans to a typical monitor's output (sRGB).

The RGB primaries on the monitor are represented by the corners of the triangle. You can emulate any color inside the triangle by combining those three colors, but you can't get any colors outside the triangle. That's the gamut.

The outside curve is the line of pure spectral colors that humans can see; the colors of the rainbow, ROYGBIV, from about 700nm (red) to 380nm (violet). The straight edge of that part is the line of "pure purples", which are colors like magenta that don't actually exist in the rainbow but we can perceive. The only way to produce them (or any of the colors on the interior of the diagram) is by combining light of multiple different wavelengths.

Offline Rajagra

True Colors
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 23:28:17 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;241917
Take a look at this Wikipedia article

Yes, I've seen those diagrams before and they are completely meaningless on their own. That's the problem. Nobody explains the theory, they just trot out those diagrams.

In the CIE XYZ color space, the tristimulus values are not the S, M, and L responses of the human eye, but rather a set of tristimulus values called X, Y, and Z, which are roughly red, green and blue,

You see that's the kind of hokum I'm talking about. Instead of using colours that match the ones eyes detect, they use an abstract 'roughly red', 'roughly green', and 'roughly blue' set and claim it more closely matches what the eye can see.

The Emperor has no clothes.

Are they simply saying RGB can't emulate 'redder than red' or 'bluer than blue', only the colours between the red and blue that are used as the source? That idea has merit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 November 2010, 23:48:38 by Rajagra »

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 00:11:51 »
Quote from: Rajagra;241921
The Emperor has no clothes.
Are they simply saying RGB can't emulate 'redder than red' or 'bluer than blue', only the colours between the red and blue that are used as the source? That idea has merit.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean nobody does. Don't be one of those armchair physicists with no training insisting that relativity doesn't make any sense. The Earth is not flat, even if it appears that way when you look out your window.

People have been researching the topic for many decades, it's pretty silly to just wave your hands and dismiss it because it's technical and you don't want to go through the effort of understanding it.

The reddest red your monitor can produce is not pure red and likewise for blue and green. Pure colors of a single wavelength are more saturated. Lighting up the red elements on your monitor won't produce pure red, and there's no amount of adding of green and blue that will change that.

The same is true for non-primary colors, and would be true even if your red, green and blue elements were completely pure, monochromatic colors. If you combine red and blue, you get a shade of violet, but it won't be as saturated as a real pure violet. You can prove this to yourself. Take a look at a rainbow produced when the sun shines through a prism or a glass ornament hanging in front of a window into an unlit room. In particular, look at the violet end of the spectrum. Now, try to produce that color in a photoshop color picker. You won't succeed.

I'm surprised it's that hard to believe that your monitor can't produce certain colors. It's obvious that it can't produce certain brightness levels that we see all the time. It won't produce pure black and it won't get as bright as the sun, or even as bright as an ordinary light. Why wouldn't it be similarly limited in color reproduction?

If you want to understand more, read up about metamerism,

Offline msiegel

True Colors
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 00:14:41 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;241939
a monitor as bright as the sun

that might be... a little dangerous :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 00:45:41 »
It's dangerous!

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 00:59:19 »
This is my [strike]second[/strike] third thread-derailing today. My apologies to the OP.

Offline msiegel

True Colors
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 01:02:03 »

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Rajagra

True Colors
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 03:26:03 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;241917
a pure, monochromatic violet color can actually be significantly more vivid and saturated.
There is no such thing as a monochromatic violet colour. From that Wiki page: "The straight edge on the lower part of the gamut is called the line of purples. These colors, although they are on the border of the gamut, have no counterpart in monochromatic light."

Here's a diagram comparing the spectrum visible to humans to a typical monitor's output (sRGB).

It isn't a diagram of the spectrum visible to humans. It is a mapping of the x,y values you get when you perform their calculations on a given colour (spectrum) of light. The functions return a value for any spectrum of light, not just those visible to the eye. There is a huge distinction. It is tailored to the visible spectrum by the CIE's set of three color-matching functions, but the key point is you are looking at a complex mapping (similar to a Fourier transform in some ways) from a broad spectrum of light to an x,y data pair.

EDIT> Removed my last objection; I did the proof I was asking for.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 November 2010, 06:50:38 by Rajagra »

Offline a_fluffy_kitten

True Colors
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 06:26:42 »
Quote from: instantkamera;241519
b) get a sypder3 as cheap as possible and use it with a free CMS (I use ArgyllCMS and Dispcalgui now as a linux user, but binaries for mac/win are available).

That is an insanely rational solution.  I like it and will go that route.

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 06:56:28 »
Quote from: a_fluffy_kitten;242011
That is an insanely rational solution.  I like it and will go that route.

w00t! I win!

Seriously, I would try the software first before spending money on hardware (I have never used it on win but I did on my Mac. Note that you need Argyll CMS >= 1.1.0 for the spyder3). I would also make sure you can return the hardware is it doesn't pan out.
but yeah, I think Im going to ditch my i1d2 and this was my planned route.

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 08:15:05 »
Quote from: Rajagra;241988
There is no such thing as a monochromatic violet colour. From that Wiki page: "The straight edge on the lower part of the gamut is called the line of purples. These colors, although they are on the border of the gamut, have no counterpart in monochromatic light."

I'm talking about the violet end of the visible spectrum, e.g. the V in ROYGBIV. In the diagram, it would be the very left end of the line of purples. You can't produce that color with a combination of reg, green and blue on your monitor.

It isn't a diagram of the spectrum visible to humans. It is a mapping of the x,y values you get when you perform their calculations on a given colour (spectrum) of light...

It's a mapping of colors visible to humans. Two different light sources with two different spectra but the same apparent color will have the same coordinates (e.g. two white appearing light sources can have very different spectra). The diagram and those formulas are derived from experimental data, not just made up. You can read the description of the initial experiments here.

Offline zefrer

True Colors
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 08:25:25 »
Quote from: instantkamera;242023
w00t! I win!

Seriously, I would try the software first before spending money on hardware (I have never used it on win but I did on my Mac. Note that you need Argyll CMS >= 1.1.0 for the spyder3). I would also make sure you can return the hardware is it doesn't pan out.
but yeah, I think Im going to ditch my i1d2 and this was my planned route.

Yeah thanks for that IK (new nickname for you! :D), I also intend to use something like that. I have never calibrated a monitor before so this is something new hehe

And yeah, fwiffo is right. In science it is only when multiple researchers independently confirm or disprove a _theory_ that it is accepted.

Experiments on human sight were done independently by multiple researchers that came to the same conclusion based on the data they collected.

The color spectrums we have now are a direct result of that research and the mathematical representations of what the data told us about how human sight works (take data, make model, express it in mathematics, use that math to do something else..)

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 08:50:06 »
Is there a service that rents colorimeters or spectrophotometers? It seems so expensive for something you need to use pretty infrequently.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
True Colors
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 09:08:33 »
Quote from: ripster

The original Lady Gaga

I always thought she was more of a Madonna rip-off...

Offline a_fluffy_kitten

True Colors
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 10:35:40 »
Quote from: ripster;242056

Not surprisingly, that was the song running through my head when I posted this thread.

Good job on the linearity proof Rajagra!  Would you mind helping me show that if you add an artificial dissipation factor to the Crank-Nicolson scheme for the equation u_t+au_x=f, the scheme is (i) second-order accurate, (ii) dissipative of order 4, and (iii) stable for small epsilon?  Just need to have that (and four similar proofs) done by 10:30am tomorrow.  :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 November 2010, 10:44:02 by a_fluffy_kitten »

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 20:53:20 »
John Boehner does look natural. Or are you racist against Oompa Loompas?

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 23:09:54 »
Ironically, that's probably true. Cheez Whiz is colored with annatto. John Boehner is a human/carrot hybrid, in violation of the laws of God and nature.

Offline mr_a500

True Colors
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 13:32:44 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:14:10 by mr_a500 »

Offline mr_a500

True Colors
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 13:36:29 »
Quote from: ripster;242594
Is this like me thinking my right nut is larger?

Yeah, but what colour is it?

Offline RoboKrikit

True Colors
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 14:15:50 »
Quote from: mr_a500;242592
Exactly. I can even detect slight colour differences between each of my eyes (...I have two, by the way). My left eye has slightly more yellow than the right - so that white will appear to be slightly off-white unless I make it more blue - but this will make it slightly bluish when viewed using only the right eye.

I'm "hyper colour sensitive" though. A "normal" person wouldn't notice a difference. I also have synaesthesia, so letters and numbers have colour too.

I've noticed this too, though it is a lot more subtle for me after realizing it is very much affected by the angle of light.  If the light source is on the right, my right eye has been getting more light, and this makes the yellow/blue difference more obvious; vice versa for the left.  If I face directly into the light for a bit, then check, the difference is slight.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline a_fluffy_kitten

True Colors
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 18:21:52 »
Words can not describe how much better my monitor looks.  Colors are richer, images have details that I've never seen before, and pictures just look "right".

On second thought, I take it back - words CAN describe how much better my monitor looks.  And those words are "HOLY CRAP".

Best $75 I've spent in a long time.

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 18:23:55 »
Quote from: a_fluffy_kitten;248298
Words can not describe how much better my monitor looks.  Colors are richer, images have details that I've never seen before, and pictures just look "right".

On second thought, I take it back - words CAN describe how much better my monitor looks.  And those words are "HOLY CRAP".

Best $75 I've spent in a long time.

care to summarize what you ended up doing?

Offline Fwiffo

True Colors
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 18:28:40 »
What calibration tool did you settle on? Also, does your monitor happen to be wide-gamut?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
True Colors
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 18:39:01 »
I found out that my Trinitron monitor has a built-in color calibration feature. For a while, the image on the screen was looking too light, but now it looks just amazing.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline a_fluffy_kitten

True Colors
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 19:18:53 »
I got the Spyder3Express, and for now I'm just using the simple software that came with it.  I've used it on four boxes so far with mixed results.

The most impressive results are on an Acer H233H / Win7 machine.  The monitor looks simply *amazing*.  I do not think it is wide-gamut.

An older Dell laptop running XP also looks a hell of a lot better.

The last two machines are Apples and I'm not so sure about them.  One is a Mac mini with a Samsung 206BW, and the other is a 15" MacBook Pro.  Both look a bit yellow and washed-out.

Offline instantkamera

True Colors
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 19:24:29 »
Quote from: a_fluffy_kitten;248340
I got the Spyder3Express, and for now I'm just using the simple software that came with it.  I've used it on four boxes so far with mixed results.

The most impressive results are on an Acer H233H / Win7 machine.  The monitor looks simply *amazing*.  I do not think it is wide-gamut.

An older Dell laptop running XP also looks a hell of a lot better.

The last two machines are Apples and I'm not so sure about them.  One is a Mac mini with a Samsung 206BW, and the other is a 15" MacBook Pro.  Both look a bit yellow and washed-out.

good choice. I would be curious to hear about your experiences with argyllCMS/dispcalGUI if you ever get so adventurous.

Offline PAINKILLER

True Colors
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 20:50:35 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;248312
I found out that my Trinitron monitor has a built-in color calibration feature. For a while, the image on the screen was looking too light, but now it looks just amazing.

My Dell P1130 (probably similar hardware to yours) has "Color return" feature, which does improve the colors a lot, but it doesn't do as much as a calibration. I did a visual "software calibration" with Adobe Gamma and it made another great improvement. Pretty good for my needs.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
True Colors
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 13:55:28 »
Mine's got the Color Return too (which is what I used). But I'll have to try that Adobe Gamma thing when I get home. I'll get back to you all when I do.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline a_fluffy_kitten

True Colors
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 20:22:05 »
Quote from: a_fluffy_kitten;248340

I take that back - after putting the Macs side-by-side with the Windows7 box and comparing various pictures it did as good a job on the Macs as it did on the others.  Must have been my eyes and not the calibration.

Offline chongyixiong

True Colors
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 04:59:51 »
Sorry to necro up an old thread, but I thought that this was the most appropriate place to post instead of starting a new thread:

Here is what I need - I am looking for a new way to ensure that BOTH of my U2410s (one in portrait, one in landscape) will be consistent in a sense that:
1. Both display great colour accuracy and nice pictures.
2. Window or programs dragged across both will not look drastically different.

I also need to make sure that I can calibrate a ton of other monitors (my laptop, my other LCD monitors) or maybe lend those to friends to recoup some cost or **** like that.

I've spent the last six hours reading through threads, digging for information and understanding about the subject.
I've even read research papers indicating that standard market colorimeters cannot account for white LEDs and wide-gamut CCFL backlight and needs to be adjusted (how do you do that actually).

So far I have a set a target for myself, below US$200 and I've identified a few:
1. X-Rite Eye One Display 2
2. Spyder3 Express (w/o ambient light sensor)
3. Spyder3 Pro (w/ ambient light sensor)

I have read about the open source software argyllCMS/dispcalGUI and I know that Option 2 will not allow me to calibrate multiple monitors.
Option 1 and 3 have luminance sensors or whatnot and I have no idea what that actually does - Option 3 allows you to manually set the luminance level so you can save about US$30 as compared to the Spyder3 Elite.

So far I am leaning towards Option 1 but I have seen some negative reviews about its inconsistency and how it sucks, etc so I am slightly confused as well.
Also, the research paper did conclude that the EOD2 Rev. D onwards was the most suitable choice as it is able to calibrate most, if not all displays out there.

So please help me make a wise decision - as I am not suited in the US, it might be hard to practice policies such as 'buy and return if you don't like 'em' for me.

Thanks in advance!