Author Topic: NO more OCZ FREEZE!? What to DO??  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Voixdelion

NO more OCZ FREEZE!? What to DO??
« on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 18:15:44 »
So after it took me an eons of comparing tests and reviews and prices to decide on OCZ Freeze as the bomb-diggedy thermal interface compound for me due to the following:

1  has no cure time
2  is electrically neutral & non capacitive (in case of "oops")
3  easy to apply (less chance of "oops")
4  high performance on par with expensive stuff without being as expensive

But now OCZ are leaving the market for such products they are taking their patented secret formula with them, discontinued everywhere*.  =(  

This means I need an alternative choice and I really don't feel like going through all the info again, so I thought I'd ask if anybody knows about how these would do in place of my now extinct favorite -and/or how long a shelf life/usage life is for these options:

Artic MX-4
Tuniq  TX-3
TIM Consultants TC-0098/Matrix  (or the Quantum?)
Gelid- GC Extreme (pricey!)

(*) edit: still a few left in stock at the Ocz gear page for EOL stuff, but the shipping calculator will add the same amount for every additional unit - I called cust.serv and they are saying it is an error in the calculator and orders are corrected to proper combined shipping before being charged - Get it while you can if you want it...
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 November 2010, 18:19:22 by Voixdelion »
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline JBert

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 18:27:38 »
I used Noctua's NT-H1 because I got it with one of their coolers. It might violate requirement #4 though.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 20:36:22 »
When my big tube of AS-5 ran out, I switched to MX-2 and MX-3 (depending on application), and will be buying MX-4 when my current tube of MX-3 runs out.  MX-2/3/4 meet your criteria.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline zefrer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 20:58:25 »
I have three words. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Technically four but that's the name.

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 21:20:30 »
Arctic MX-3.  MX-4 is very slightly more efficient, for a significantly higher price.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 21:26:08 »
Doesn't answer your question, but this is interesting...
Pay special attention to the 'spread' method.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 November 2010, 21:30:29 by Rajagra »

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 21:40:18 »
Shin etsu...

It's like having 1000 samurai swinging fans on your heat spreader.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 23:55:28 »
80-way thermal compound review

Bit old but should be mostly relevant. I do recall a more recent one but it might have been a re-post or I mistook it for a 2010 article.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 01:02:00 »
I like this paste roundup because it includes cheeeeeeese.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 01:23:06 »
shin etsu, so good, so annoying i use my fiancee's blow dryer on it for like minutes to get it to work normal, still have a syringe left so when that runs out i'm going for easy to apply again, something like mx4/tx3.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 02:00:45 »
Quote from: Rajagra;241870
Doesn't answer your question, but this is interesting...
Pay special attention to the 'spread' method.

A girl builder?  The cross method looks pretty effective.  It was interesting that the spread method that I usually use creates air bubbles....
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline zefrer

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 08:36:04 »
Note that each TIM will have its own 'best' method for spreading. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations, not youtube videos :)

Nowdays I tend to avoid pastes with curing times as there is no need for it. You can get an equally performing paste with no curing time as there are so many competing, very good, products now.

Do take a look at the Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra one (or Liquid Pro, the previous one), I have been very impressed.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 12:26:39 »
Quote from: chimera15;241981
A girl builder?  The cross method looks pretty effective.  It was interesting that the spread method that I usually use creates air bubbles....

You still spread?  That method was ONLY for bare cores because of the trapping air issue.  If the heatsink I'm using has a traditional flat base, I use a pea's worth of paste and get great coverage every time.  If the heatsink has exposed heatpipes ("direct touch") then I fill the gaps with paste, wipe the excess, and do a couple lines of paste on the heatspreader coinciding with the orientation of the heatpipes.  You don't need to cover the entire heatspreader, the core(s) underneath aren't very big, but if you can get a circle that touches all 4 sides then you're solid.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 14:12:59 »
I just use Shin Etsu. No cure time, non-conductive, non-capacitive, fairly easy to apply, top 10% performance-wise, and fairly cheap.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline J888www

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 16:14:45 »
Quote from: zefrer;242049
Note that each TIM will have its own 'best' method

Do take a look at the Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra one (or Liquid Pro, the previous one), I have been very impressed.

The spreading method creates air pockets because some air are trapped by the TIM, not allowing it to disperse from the outer edge.
Since some TIM have a higher viscosity, it had been advised to warm-up the tube in a mug of hot water before applying.

Have you also been very impressed when you tried to remove this TIM ?
Your heat-sink is obviously not made from aluminium.

I personally have not been very impressed but then I may be totally wrong.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 November 2010, 16:19:46 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 16:29:08 »
If you want a nice, cool computer, I would highly recommend Windows 98. Windows 98 is renowned for freezing, so it would be perfect for cooling down any CPU!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kriminal

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 16:38:55 »
Artic sliver Ceramique, its non conductive i use it on my videocards and northbridge\southbridge...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline kriminal

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 November 2010, 16:39:38 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;242199
I just use Shin Etsu. No cure time, non-conductive, non-capacitive, fairly easy to apply, top 10% performance-wise, and fairly cheap.

heard this is also good too..
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 07 November 2010, 02:00:09 »
I thought that the MX-4 was positioned to be less expensive than the  MX-3, though?  Not so in practice?  The shin-etsu is good, but for the  volume you get for the cost its a little on the high side, and I like a  little leeway for screwing up, so that was why it hadn't made my short  list.    

And lapping the CPU isn't so nuts - I managed it, but it had the integrated heatspreader, not an exposed chip.  I lapped my HS and my Northie CPU (but not the Pressie since I won't have any way to tell them apart otherwise) and it really made a huge difference in the way it "gripped".  It was actually pretty difficult to break the surface tension between the cpu and HS when I had to remove it again when I switched out the power supply and I could see that the coverage was impeccable on both sides.  I also set the tube in warm water first before applying which seems to make it more cooperative too.

Re that Compusa link - huh...  I just googled it again and all the links that were sold out previously appear to have found a resupply stock - tigerdirect and zipzoomfly anyway.   I must've hit a weird pocket in my timing before , though there was at least one store that did say they wouldn't be getting any more in at all.  i managed to snag a tube off the OCZ gear site which should do  fine for a while even including the pre-ylod PS3 I might be able to  save.   Still, it is definitely not being made anymore (confirmed  through conversation with customer service re:shipping costs) as its  officially discontinued.  Maybe by the time I run out there will be some  new breakthrough thing anyway.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav