Author Topic: i dont watch the news anymore  (Read 43109 times)

Offline wellington1869

i dont watch the news anymore
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:08:43 »
but there's a bigger issue here other than plain wrong facts.

and thats the chuckle i get when you bend so far backwards that you're actually trying to pin 9/11 on clinton. against all the facts, yea, but also that you'd even attempt it, is really telling in itself.

You said earlier that we shouldnt be comparing fox news to goebbels. I wonder if thats any worse than equating clinton to bin laden.

I dont know where you get your political information from, but you really need to diversify your sources of information a bit man. And be a little more critical of all of them.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:09:55 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243011

Still, the facts still stand - Clinton bombed Afghanitstan and got Al Quaeda pissed at us.

thats totally incorrect too bro, because al queda hated us long, long, before clinton ever held office...  again this goes back to your coming up to speed on the history of al queda, both as a specific organization, as well as its ideological roots.

in fact, clinton was rightly retaliating for an al queda bombing, which if he hadnt done by the way, the repubs would have called him weak on national security anyway. Just cant win, can he.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:10:39 »
(i'm waiting for oranjoos to show up and remind us that it was the CIA that caused 9/11).

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:11:28 »
Our involvement in the middle east has always come back to bite us in the ass... Support of the Mujahideen against the Soviets, our support of Saddam Hussein in his war with Iran while he was gassing Kurds, instigating a coup of Prime Minister Mosaddegh in Iran, everything that's ever involved Ahmed Chalabi... Will it be a surprise to anyone when we find out Hamid Karzai isn't exactly a choir boy?

You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:11:54 »
I'm waiting for you to stop triple-posting and creating troll-baiting threads.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:18:59 »
Again, Al Quaeda bombed two US embassies in 1998.

That was why the US was looking for him and the reason for those bombings of Afghanistan. The bombings certainly did not make Al Quaeda angry at the US, they had just bombed two US embassies, kinda late to get angry after that don't you think :)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:22:25 »
Quote from: zefrer;243021
Again, Al Quaeda bombed two US embassies in 1998.

That was why the US was looking for him and the reason for those bombings of Afghanistan. The bombings certainly did not make Al Quaeda angry at the US, they had just bombed two US embassies, kinda late to get angry after that don't you think :)

Yea but I think they were mostly pissed about civilian causalities. But who knows really. Like it's been said, the history is long and confusing. And in the meantime we're all caught up in another one of Welly's troll-baiting threads. Welly needs to be banned from Off-Topic thread creation, IMHO.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:25:59 »
Um, it is off-topic.  If you don't want to get caught up in it, don't post (see: ripster).  Check out the "Religion" thread.  The OP of that one posted all of about 5 times in that epic troll-fest.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:27:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;243023
Um, it is off-topic.  If you don't want to get caught up in it, don't post (see: ripster).  Check out the "Religion" thread.  The OP of that one posted all of about 5 times in that epic troll-fest.

How many times did Welly post in that one?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:32:41 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243025

you can make this about me bro, if you cant come up with the facts to support your positions... ;P
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:45:23 by wellington1869 »

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:32:46 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243025

does it matter there, Mr. 1000+ Post Since July(Including a BS thread about that achievement)?
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:34:13 »
Quote from: wellington1869
you can make this about me bro, if you cant some up with the facts to support your positions... ;P

Already did...if you read my posts.

Quote from: instantkamera

does it matter there, Mr. 1000+ Post Since July(Including a BS thread about that achievement)?

Ahh the sweet smell of jealousy ;)

Offline zefrer

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:36:10 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243022
Yea but I think they were mostly pissed about civilian causalities. But who knows really.

From the link you posted earlier

"According to Pakistani journalist Ahmed Rashid, 20 Afghans, seven Pakistanis, three Yemenis, two Egyptians, one Saudi and one Turk were killed.[9] Abu Jandal later estimated that only six men had been killed in the strikes.[1] The only confirmed death in the strikes was Egyptian-Canadian Amr Hamed. Osama bin Laden jokingly told militants at the al-Jihad merger that only a few camels and chickens had died.[16]"

Al-Quaeda is a terrorist organisation, they don't have civilians :) The Afghani were pretty pissed, sure.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 12:40:19 »
Quote from: zefrer

"Osama bin Laden jokingly told militants at the al-Jihad merger that only a few camels and chickens had died.[16]"

That Bin Laden...what a jokester!

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 13:37:43 »
Clinton bombs people and they get mad at us, bad.
Bush bombs people and they get mad at us, good.

Got it!
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 13:42:44 »
Quote from: RoboKrikit
Clinton bombs people and they get mad at us, bad.
Bush bombs people and they get mad at us, good.

Clinton failed. Bush succeeded in at least taking Saddam out of power. That's a win in my book.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 13:46:23 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243022
And in the meantime we're all caught up in another one of Welly's troll-baiting threads. Welly needs to be banned from Off-Topic thread creation, IMHO.

I think Welly just uses some kinda provolone or chedder that you can't resist that he uses for his bait in his mousetraps.

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 13:46:53 »
He succeeded in getting Al-Qaeda mad at us.  That was his intention, yeah?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 13:47:45 »
Quote from: Lanx;243051
I think Welly just uses some kinda provolone or chedder that you can't resist that he uses for his bait in his mousetraps.

Must be cheddar or swiss. Provolone's not my fav :P
I like mozzarella too... :P

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 13:54:09 »
I like how that commercial is intended to target xenophobes and engender fear, but somehow makes being Chinese look awesome.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:02:51 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243048
Bush succeeded in at least taking Saddam out of power. That's a win in my book.

...even tho saddam had nothing to do with 9/11. got it. its a win anyway!

i'm going to trip the next old lady i see walking by me on the sidewalk. I'm a winner!!!

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:03:06 »
Cheaper Realforce keyboards is all those damn repubs care about!

Quote from: welly

...even tho saddam had nothing to do with 9/11. got it. its a win anyway!

...that we know of. He's definitely been linked with Al Qaeda.

Quote from: welly

I'm a winner!!!

I wouldn't go that far...
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:09:10 by keyboardlover »

Offline zefrer

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:11:23 »
Rewriting history now? What was the official reason for invading Iraq as reported by the US government on several occasions again?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:16:12 »
Quote from: zefrer
Rewriting history now? What was the official reason for invading Iraq as reported by the US government on several occasions again?

I never said the reasoning that was told to us was accurate, or that there was reasonable transparency between our government and our people during the whole thing. I'm as annoyed about that as anyone else to some extent, but to some extent I suspect that the conditions involved were and are very complex. Sometimes governments hold back certain things from the public for various reasons. Happens in every government.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:24:31 »
Perhaps, sure. Given the circumstances however don't you think they would have mentioned that :) Anyway, you're right, you made no such assumption. I was just pointing out that any potential more complex reasons are rather moot given the official reason at the time and the fact that the man in question has already been executed.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:33:16 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243062

He's definitely been linked with Al Qaeda.

*sigh*. bro, he's definitely been *unlinked* from al queda, even the bush administration acknowledged that. jesus christ.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:35:55 »
Quote from: ripster;243079
Hanging is a pretty grisly way to go.  Lot's of physics involved.  

Chinese method of just shooting people is much more straightforward.

maybe the guillotine really was more humane.

personally i like the 'drop 16 ton weight on head from great height' method but govts havent taken to that for some reason.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:36:50 »
Quote from: wellington1869;243078
*sigh*. bro, he's definitely been *unlinked* from al queda, even the bush administration acknowledged that. jesus christ.

Not according to this document.

Captured Iraqi documents have uncovered evidence that links the regime of Saddam Hussein to regional and global terrorism, including a variety of revolutionary, liberation, nationalist, and Islamic terrorist organizations. While these documents do not reveal direct coordination and assistance between the Saddam regime and the al Qaeda network, they do indicate that Saddam was willing to use, albeit cautiously, operatives affiliated with al Qaeda as long as Saddam could have these terrorist–operatives monitored closely. Because Saddam’s security organizations and Osama bin Laden’s terrorist network operated with similar aims (at least in the short term), considerable overlap was inevitable when monitoring, contacting, financing, and training the same outside groups. This created both the appearance of and, in some ways, a “de facto” link between the organizations. At times, these organizations would work together in pursuit of shared goals but still maintain their autonomy and independence because of innate caution and mutual distrust. Though the execution of Iraqi terror plots was not always successful, evidence shows that Saddam’s use of terrorist tactics and his support for terrorist groups remained strong up until the collapse of the regime.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:39:00 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243081
Not according to this document.

Bush: No saddam links to 9/11.

oops.

You can read the whole history of the claim of any link between saddam and 9/11 OR saddam and al queda, here.  Bottom line: er, no.  If anything saddam wanted al queda well out of iraq, because al queda threatened his secular power directly.

Let me guess, yellow cake uranium?  Oops.

Neither smart nor courageous nor honest.  Just plain and simple greedy dangerous morons.  If so much wasnt at stake, the bush years might have simply been one of the most hilarious presidencies in american history. But so much was at stake. Which makes it one of the most tragic.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:49:01 by wellington1869 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:40:06 »
Bin Laden was on Saddam's hit list.  If anything, he could have been an ally.  Oh well.  That's Texas for you.  Kick everyone's ass first, then ask questions/deal with the repercussions later.  Ask all our death row inmates about it.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:41:19 »
Perhaps I wasn't clear. You are justifying the invasion of a country under false pretense by an alleged link of a terrorist organisation and the president of said country who was executed for wholly different reasons, again different than the false pretense under which his country was invaded. Lol?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:43:29 »
Bush: No saddam links to 9/11.
oops.

Since when do you trust what Bush says?

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:50:27 »
Terrorism, human rights, etc. were just an excuse. There are lots of terrible dictators all over the world, lots of them contribute to or harbor terrorists, lots of them brutalize their own people. But we didn't invade those countries because Iraq had something else we wanted...

Here's GWB on Osama Bin Laden in March of 2002, during the PR campaign to sell the Iraq war:
I'll repeat what I said: I truly am not that concerned about him. I know he is on the run. I was concerned about him when he had taken over a country. I was concerned about the fact that he was basically running Afghanistan and calling the shots for the Taliban.

But, you know, once we set out the policy and started executing the plan, he became -- we shoved him out more and more on the margins.

He has no place to train his al Qaeda killers anymore...

Of course, that was before successful Al Qaeda attacks in Bali, Jakarta, Madrid and London. The war in Iraq did exactly what many of us who opposed it thought it would; it distracted us from crushing the organization that attacked us.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:52:08 »
Quote from: ripster;243086
We can kill foreigners.  It's in the constitution somewhere.

Hahaha, ok, I laughed, I'll admit.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:53:53 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;243092
The war in Iraq did exactly what many of us who opposed it thought it would; it distracted us from crushing the organization that attacked us.

thats the bottom line. and as a result we lost everything, from the goodwill of the world, to the initiative we had in the war on terror.

this is what you're defending, KL. With a handful of outdated Cheney lies.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:54:29 »
Quote from: zefrer;243093
Hahaha, ok, I laughed, I'll admit.

;) me too

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 14:58:49 »
thats the bottom line. and as a result we lost everything, from the goodwill of the world, to the initiative we had in the war on terror.

Ok you guys are right. I see your logic and proof (sarcasm). I surrender.

NOT! :D

Offline godly_music

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:04:05 »
When you get down to it, nothing that is presented to us is necessarily the truth. More sensible information is more damaging, giving more incentive to conjure something up. Why argue?

Nevertheless, here's my take on it: Saddam was just another dictator. Small fish. The US had no trouble with their diplomatic relations to him until he was shoehorned into invading Kuwait. The US had no trouble either sponsoring the same muslim fighters that they now fight, back when they had someone else to send them against.

That "War on terror" is a bogus concept is, I think, fairly established. I think TV's big role in the modern world is to reaffirm a reality to the individual that he might otherwise find ridiculous. I watched a German political debate that was from the late 70's the other day, and the eloquence and depth of presented issues compared to what we hear today just surprised me. I think we're all well on our way raising other people's brain children. Even us smart guys.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:05:17 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243101
Ok you guys are right. I see your logic and proof (sarcasm). I surrender.

NOT! :D

;) I wouldnt expect you to surrender to logic and proof  :P

Offline zefrer

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:05:17 »
I regret it already ;)

KL what you're saying makes no sense, sorry.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:06:25 »
;) I wouldnt expect you to surrender to logic and proof  :P

I would if you presented it!

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:17:09 »
Quote from: godly_music;24310

Nevertheless, here's my take on it: Saddam was just another dictator. Small fish. The US had no trouble with their diplomatic relations to him until he was shoehorned into invading Kuwait.

what do you mean 'shoehorned'? Saddam claimed kuwait for decades and finally decided to act on it. He didnt believe (because of his own faulty intelligence) that the US or anyone else would ultimately intervene. and he was locked in an ongoing war-to-the-death with iran at the time.

The US had no trouble either sponsoring the same muslim fighters that they now fight, back when they had someone else to send them against.

this is true. Doesnt mean we have no values; It does mean we can be very shortsighted from time to time and we pay the price if we dont learn from our mistakes.  As depicted pretty well in that movie (what was it called? charlie?) our mistake in afghanistan was not following thru with real support for democratic education once the soviets were defeated. It was an enormous mistake and a real missed opportunity.  We're great at intervention, we're really bad at follow-through.

That "War on terror" is a bogus concept is, I think, fairly established.

its not a 'bogus concept'.  Terrorism is all too real. The issue is how best to tackle it, and its on that score that bush fell flat on his face taking most of america with him.

I think TV's big role in the modern world is to reaffirm a reality to the individual that he might otherwise find ridiculous.

no, tv's role is to make a profit for its parent company. it does that job the best that it can. When media corporations get too big they dont let diversity thrive, and thats when the dissemination of information -- so vital to a healthy democracy -- suffers.  Its not rocket science. The problem isnt corporations as such, its monopolies and oligopolies as such.  (And the lack of originality or creativity or courage, things today's media desperately needs and cant seem to afford.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:29:54 by wellington1869 »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:23:23 »
Did you guys hear about this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/05/nbc-anchorman-suspended-donating-democrats

Crazy...I'm glad that MSNBC did the right thing here.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:27:16 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243114
Did you guys hear about this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/05/nbc-anchorman-suspended-donating-democrats

Crazy...I'm glad that MSNBC did the right thing here.

is that about olbermann? was it really a surprise that he supports democratic canddiates?

personally i think npr overreacted with juan williams and msnbc overreacted with olbermann. dont know whats going on.

in olbermann's case especially, his whole show is about beating up on repubs, its an opinion-show, not a news show. so why suspend him? It would be like suspending glenn beck for being a mormon.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:30:07 »
He was suspended for funding politicians, not for his beliefs.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:30:51 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;243116
He was suspended for funding politicians, not for his beliefs.

he made contributions to candidates. so what? its perfectly legal. I dont know the details in his case, but if thats all it was, then I dont get it.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:33:08 »
he made contributions to candidates. so what? its perfectly legal. I dont know the details in his case, but if thats all it was, then I dont get it.

Are you a lawyer?

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:40:22 »
Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan have donated to candidates in recent years, but they never got suspended from MSNBC. Oh wait, they donated to Republicans, so it's just fine.

It's Phil Donahue all over again. I wonder if they'll tap Michael Savage again.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:48:38 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;243123
Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan have donated to candidates in recent years, but they never got suspended from MSNBC. Oh wait, they donated to Republicans, so it's just fine.

It's Phil Donahue all over again. I wonder if they'll tap Michael Savage again.

seriously.  (my hated) huffpo notes (correctly) that some 30 fox news anchors and journalists have actively raised money for or campaigned for repubs, none of them got fired.

and they quote even arch-conservative bill kristol saying olberman's firing was 'ludicrous'.  I tend to agree. sounds really silly, like some clueless msnbc exec was having a bad day.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2010, 16:05:19 by wellington1869 »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 15:50:19 »

and they quote even bill kristol saying olberman's firing was 'ludricrous'.

That's not ludicrous.

THIS is ludicrous.