Author Topic: Cherry Brown vs. Rubber Dome  (Read 16709 times)

Offline CodeChef

Cherry Brown vs. Rubber Dome
« on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 08:23:46 »
I haven't tried any mechanical switches outside of real white alps and buckling spring, and I'm trying to figure out if I'll like Browns. Could someone describe their feel compared to these two switches? I feel like they'll just feel like rubber domes to me. A tactile feel and no click sounds like some of the good rubber domes I've tried...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 08:32:53 »
Not even close.  You kinda have to try them to understand.  That said, they are pretty light, so if you are used to ALPS and BS, Cherry browns are going to feel like nothing.  You have to give them a week a two really get the feel for them.  They'll probably the lightest switches you have ever used.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 08:36:23 »
Quote from: itlnstln;244193
Not even close.  You kinda have to try them to understand.  That said, they are pretty light, so if you are used to ALPS and BS, Cherry browns are going to feel like nothing.  You have to give them a week a two really get the feel for them.  They'll probably the lightest switches you have ever used.

Ruh Roh, even ALPS feel super-light right now... I guess I had a really stiff Model M.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline zefrer

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 08:39:26 »
Tactile domes? Porque? You mean when bottoming out? Not really tactile that, is it? :)

Compared to BS browns are much lighter when depressing but they have a substantial bounce which helps lifts your fingers up. The tactile bump is before you bottom out and is very pronounced once you get used to it.

At first you might not notice it, especially coming from BS (and if you bottom out a lot).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 08:40:33 »
I started the same way you did, BS and white ALPS.  When I first tried browns, I didn't really like them that much.  For whatever reason, I decided to stick with them, and when I got the light touch down, they quickly became my favorites.  I would suggest finding something cheap like a Compaq MX-11800 just to check them out.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 08:41:42 »
Quote from: itlnstln;244201
I started the same way you did, BS and white ALPS.  When I first tried browns, I didn't really like them that much.  For whatever reason, I decided to stick with them, and when I got the light touch down, they quickly became my favorites.  I would suggest finding something cheap like a Compaq MX-11800 just to check them out.

Ah, I was sitting on an ebay auction for one, but the shipper was in Europe so even though it was 20 bucks the shipping was 30 :(
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 09:37:15 »
Quote from: CodeChef;244202
Ah, I was sitting on an ebay auction for one, but the shipper was in Europe so even though it was 20 bucks the shipping was 30 :(

We from Europe get the feeling all the time when everything costs like $15 for the seller plus $40 for USPS. ;)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 10:03:10 »
Quote from: NewbieOneKenobi;244227
We from Europe get the feeling all the time when everything costs like $15 for the seller plus $40 for USPS. ;)

Canadians buying from USA pay about $30 for shipping. My Dell AT101W was $10 + $30 (shipping).

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 19:43:11 »
Ouch, sucks for all of you. Probably the thing I'm going to miss the most when I move back to Montreal is the great prices on everything we get down in the States.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 20:18:25 »
If you are coming from buckling spring, you'll probably bottom out heavily until you get used to the brown. The tactile bump of the brown is very, very subtle in my opinion. However, like some have said in other threads, they are very springy. I also like their friction sound. I am from from being as far as on my blue Cherry when I use my brown Cherry Filco, but it is the keyboard which cause the least fatigue. In short, as with any switch, the brown Cherry is unique in its own way. The best way to tell if you'll like it or not is to try one...unfortunately. It is also not as loud as the buckling spring.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 20:21:06 »
I would like to add that, in my opinion, the brown Cherry is one the keyboards which are best appreciated when one is typing at a moderate speed instead of a very high speed. Like I said, the friction sound is part of its charm. If one is typign too fast, one will not hear this friction sound. Then again, others may not like the friction sound.

Offline incurablegeek

Brown Cherries? Audiophile Quiet Mechanical Keyboard?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 20:43:45 »
(I'm from OCN where I must be careful about thread hijacking, so if I'm out of order here, kindly PM me.)

When it comes to mechanical keyboards, I am your worst god-forsaken newbie. I have a really nice/expensive rubber dome from Logitech - all the feature functions of which I really like. However, there just isn't that "feel" that I believe would come with a mechanical.

Now here's my question, if you will. Because I'm an audiophile and have quite a nice sound system, I wanted a mechanical that had the feel but not the traffic-stopping clickity-clack that would jump all over my sounds.

My reading leads me to believe that Brown Cherries might be the way to go. I'm totally confused though. Any suggestions.

(Btw, I don't want to spend a pile of money - at least not as a newbie to mechanicals.)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 20:59:06 »
Quote from: incurablegeek;244479
(I'm from OCN where I must be careful about thread hijacking, so if I'm out of order here, kindly PM me.)

When it comes to mechanical keyboards, I am your worst god-forsaken newbie. I have a really nice/expensive rubber dome from Logitech - all the feature functions of which I really like. However, there just isn't that "feel" that I believe would come with a mechanical.

Now here's my question, if you will. Because I'm an audiophile and have quite a nice sound system, I wanted a mechanical that had the feel but not the traffic-stopping clickity-clack that would jump all over my sounds.

My reading leads me to believe that Brown Cherries might be the way to go. I'm totally confused though. Any suggestions.

(Btw, I don't want to spend a pile of money - at least not as a newbie to mechanicals.)
I find it hard to recommend a keyboard mainly because each person's experience is different. Some people may find blue Cherry not loud enough to disturb your music listening whereas others may find it so. The problem with Cherry brown is that the tactile point is very subtle. The blue Cherry not has a more pronounced tactile bump, but has the click as well. Others may disagree, but I do believe that both (together) play a very important role. This may explain why I am fastest and more accurate only blue Cherry keyboards than on any other keyboard in my modest collection. A possible explanation could be that the click may complement the tactile bump to make a keypress more noticeable that just the tactile bump alone, which in any case, will be harder to notice on brown Cherry. Not all stimulus needs to enter one's consciousness to be noticed by that same person's central nervouce system.

EDIT:
Please note that I may be biased towards the blue Cherry. That does not mean that I don't like the brown Cherry though. It just happens that I like blue Cherry more. And while I have no problem typing on a blue Cherry keyboard when there is other background noise, like my wife's PC running, I avoid doing so at 4:00 am. At that time, because it's so quiet, the blue Cherry seems very loud. So, maybe the blue Cherry will not be a problem in your case if you are paying more attention to the music than to the keyboard sound.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 November 2010, 21:02:37 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 21:51:18 »
So, maybe the blue Cherry will not be a problem in your case if you are paying more attention to the music than to the keyboard sound.

Very good point.  Can you recommend an Blue Cherry that won't break the bank (< U.S. $150.00)

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks for a very engaging response! :thumb:

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 23:04:27 »
If I attempt to answer my own question, the obvious choices would be Das or Filco.

Any thoughts?

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 23:33:45 »
If you're in the US, Newegg will be getting the Rosewill RK-9000 back in stock next month (apparently).  It's made by the same manufacturing supplier as the Das and Filco boards, has Cherry blue switches, but a silly looking logo.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 05:21:53 »
Quote from: incurablegeek;244497
Very good point.  Can you recommend an Blue Cherry that won't break the bank (< U.S. $150.00)

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks for a very engaging response! :thumb:

Quote from: incurablegeek;244510
If I attempt to answer my own question, the obvious choices would be Das or Filco.

Any thoughts?

I have used only two keyboards with blue Cherry: Cherry G80-3000 and Das Model S. The G80-3000 became my favourite keyboard for a long period of time. The Das is fairly new to me. I'm on my second week with it. However, I can see it becoming my favourite keyboard for one reason: the switches are plate-mounted and not PCB-mounted. Some people prefer the latter, but not me. I find the plate-mounted switches better when it comes to the feel and sound. Again, that's just me. Others may have a different opinion. Besides my G80-3000 (I've got two) and my Compaq MX-11800, all my keyboards have plate-mounted switches. The other reason why I am starting to like the Das more is because the keycaps is very slightly wider than the keycaps of the G80-3000. It's not by much, but enough to make a difference.

In an ideal world, you would know people who have these keyboards so that you can try them before spending your money.

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 05:47:48 »
The Brown is a switch that really grew on me.

Its not a huge new experience, like clicky switches, where its there and in your face. They're a lovely little switch that has a sutble appeal. I was hugely underwhelmed the first time I used my Filco with browns, but now it's my favorite board by far. It's light, springy and fun to type on.

Excuse me if I'm ranting,,, Sleep deprivation and posting dont go hand in hand,

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 06:02:59 »
Quote from: Brodie337;244559
The Brown is a switch that really grew on me.

Its not a huge new experience, like clicky switches, where its there and in your face. They're a lovely little switch that has a sutble appeal. I was hugely underwhelmed the first time I used my Filco with browns, but now it's my favorite board by far. It's light, springy and fun to type on.

Excuse me if I'm ranting,,, Sleep deprivation and posting dont go hand in hand,

This was why I said that I am biased towards the blue Cherry, but I don't hate the brown Cherry. Brown Cherry is unique in its  own way, just like any other keyboard.. You should get some sleep, I get cranky if I am sleep deprived too :)

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 06:18:05 »
Cant sleep... Messy breakup, so I might as well post. :)

The Browns just have this sense of fun that my other boards don't have, and I just cant put my finger on why. I don't get the same impression of fun when I'm on my Chicony (Monterey SMKs) or SIIG Minitouch (White ALPS of some description).

I haven't tried the blue, but I just thought I'd chime in on my experience with the browns.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 November 2010, 06:25:10 by Brodie337 »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 06:49:14 »
Quote from: Brodie337;244567
Cant sleep... Messy breakup, so I might as well post. :)

Sorry to hear that. Breaking up is not fun.

The Browns just have this sense of fun that my other boards don't have, and I just cant put my finger on why. I don't get the same impression of fun when I'm on my Chicony (Monterey SMKs) or SIIG Minitouch (White ALPS of some description).

I haven't tried the blue, but I just thought I'd chime in on my experience with the browns.

Your comment confirms what I have always thought. Each person is different and each person's taste is different. The trick is to find the one you like best.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:24:34 »
Quote from: RickyJ;244513
If you're in the US, Newegg will be getting the Rosewill RK-9000 back in stock next month (apparently).  It's made by the same manufacturing supplier as the Das and Filco boards, has Cherry blue switches, but a silly looking logo.

No. Shut up. There's no such thing as a silly logo. It's a freaking logo. What, you model professionally with keyboards now? No. So shut up. It's a Costar board that costs less than a Das or a Filco. And that's all it is.

So I guess I'll try everything out when Mr. Interface's switch try board comes around here...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:41:04 »
Brodie337, First of all best of luck to you. I know from personal experience that is a heartrending experience. And for what it's worth I didn't think at all you were ranting; simply being passionate about something you like very much. Last time I heard, that was perfectly legal.:smile:

I know from all my reading that the Das Model S is a superb keyboard. I have been told however that, although it is billed as a quiet keyboard, it can wake up the neighbors. I don't know. Mechanical keyboards are not so prevalent here in Nashville, TN that you can take them out for a test drive.

RickyJ, I checked NewEgg immediately after reading your post and it does not appear there is any intention of restocking the Rosewell. Perhaps I am wrong.

So if I make a leap of faith, and I shall, it looks like I have two choices:

1) Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO
2) Das Model S Professional Silent Keyboard

For what it's worth most of my fingers were "damaged" from years of Judo and martial arts and therefore can best be classified as clumsy. On a proper keyboard, however, I type at 40-60 words per minute. I don't know if that makes a difference in the shape or the width of the keys?

You guys have been very selfless in the sharing of your experience and knowledge and I sure do appreciate each of your contributions.  Your opinions on the above two choices, et. al., would be most welcomed. :dance:

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:49:29 »
Quote from: incurablegeek;244586

So if I make a leap of faith, and I shall, it looks like I have two choices:

1) Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO
2) Das Model S Professional Silent Keyboard

I don't have the Das Model S silent, I have the clicky one. However, I do have the Filco. I alternate between this keyboard and my Topre. Like Brodie and Itlnstln said, you can learn to like it. As from two days ago, the Filco is back on my desk at home and the Topre is back in its box. I do this from time to time.  

If I were to use an analogy to describe my feeling towards the blue Cherry and the brown Cherry, I would say that the blue Cherry would be like a Mustang, for when I need power and speed. The brown Cherry would be like a Gran Torino to me, for when I want to slow down and enjoy the drive.

Offline incurablegeek

Let's Play Nice With Our Canadian Friends
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:53:24 »
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
If you're in the US, Newegg will be getting the Rosewill RK-9000 back in stock next month (apparently). It's made by the same manufacturing supplier as the Das and Filco boards, has Cherry blue switches, but a silly looking logo.

No. Shut up. There's no such thing as a silly logo. It's a freaking logo. What, you model professionally with keyboards now? No. So shut up. It's a Costar board that costs less than a Das or a Filco. And that's all it is.

Some logos can look silly, the GAP being a recent example.

Besides the man has an opinion and last time I heard that was perfectly OK. And I don't step on anyone who is trying to help. :thumb:

Please note: "Shut Up" has no place in a quality forum like GeekHack!

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:55:34 »
Between those two, the choice would be over layout or aesthetic qualities. Some people like the glossy finish on the Das, others do not. I like that I can get a Filco in a tenkeyless layout.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 20:55:48 »
Quote from: CodeChef;244584

Some people find it silly looking, I don't care but some people do.  Go find the thread and ***** there.

Quote from: incurablegeek;244586
RickyJ, I checked NewEgg immediately after reading your post and it does not appear there is any intention of restocking the Rosewell. Perhaps I am wrong.

Ripster heard from Newegg about it 3 days ago. :)

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 21:12:47 »
Ripster heard from Newegg about it 3 days ago. :)

Cool ... I appreciate the info. You guys have yet to steer me wrong. :happy:

Offline vicariouscheese

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 09:38:34 »
Quote from: CodeChef;244584

haha i would honestly pay some more for aesthetics, including forgoing silly logos... to an extent.  not apple-heres-a-computer-add-2000$-to-the-price-tag-for-the-brand-name, but for a keyboard i would definitely put out some extra money for a daskeyboard ultimate or filco tenkeyless otaku (someone tell me elitekeyboards will get this again someday :O) over a rosewill.  if i dont like it, i know it can be sold pretty easily ;)

Offline incurablegeek

DasKey Default Choice IF Not Clanky LOUD?
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 10:00:36 »
Yeh, everything keeps coming back to the DasKey Ultimate as being the can't go wrong default choice.

Just please allay my ongoing angst about sound. The DasKey is billed as a "silent" keyboard but on YouTube it sure sounds like it has sound. :typing:

Yet another simple-minded question: Will the DAS step all over the sounds of my relatively expensive surround-sound system. I work hard but I cannot do so without my tunes.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 10:28:23 »
Quote from: incurablegeek;244960

Just please allay my ongoing angst about sound. The DasKey is billed as a "silent" keyboard but on YouTube it sure sounds like it has sound. :typing:

Brown Cherry is not completely silent. The switches will produce noise when the keys are bottomed out and when they spring back to their normal resting position.

Keep in mind, however, that what you hear in the YouTube videos are not always a faithful reproduction of what the sound will be like in real life. If you check multiple videos of the same keyboard, you will notice that the sound varies from video to video.  

Other factors to consider:

- The microphone recording the sound is usually closer to the keyboard than one's ears will be when one is typing.
- A microphone is usually catches more sound than one consciously hears.
- There's no way to be 100% sure of whether the noise will both your or not. Unlike the eyes which will mix the different light colours together and tell the brain that they are seeing one single colour, the ears will tell the brain that there is this sound, and this sound. The two different sounds are not added up together to give a third sound.

Offline incurablegeek

Helluva good point!
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:16:36 »
You're a helluva good salesman. Das it is then. You can't learn to swim unless you jump in the pool. Thanks for all your help! :biggrin:

(oh for what it's worth, it IS impossible to drown in a calm ocean)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:35:12 »
Quote from: incurablegeek;245002
You're a helluva good salesman. Das it is then. You can't learn to swim unless you jump in the pool. Thanks for all your help! :biggrin:

(oh for what it's worth, it IS impossible to drown in a calm ocean)

LOL. I am not saying that you should absolutely get a Das. The Filco with brown Cherry is also very good. I have one. I have had good service from Elitekeyboards, just as I have had good service from Metadot.

What I do know is that choosing a keyboard can a very very tough thing to do. There are so many choices that you are afraid of making the wrong decision. And then, you just keep wondering what the other keyboard would feel like. This is why a lot of us here end up with so many keyboards. Blessed are those who buy one keyboard and is happy with it, and then moved on. I do not like the fact that I have spent so much money on keyboards, but on the other hand, it was a very fun adventure, which I don't think is completely over yet. Just dormant.

And for what it's worth, it is possible to drown in your bathtub :-)

Offline incurablegeek

The Dirty Deed Has Been Done - and relatively cheap
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:37:35 »
I just purchased the Das Professional Model S Silent keyboard.

Now PLEASE don't somebody come out and tell me I'm a silly @$$ and should have bought something else. (My psychiatrist says my emotional stability is day by day. :wacko: )

Seriously, thank you guys for all your help and sage advice. You give of your time and expertise so freely, and that's kinda what makes some sites on the net cool places to hang out. Beware, though, I will probably have lots more questions!)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:44:29 »
Quote from: incurablegeek;245006
I just purchased the Das Professional Model S Silent keyboard.

Now PLEASE don't somebody come out and tell me I'm a silly @$$ and should have bought something else. (My psychiatrist says my emotional stability is day by day. :wacko: )

Seriously, thank you guys for all your help and sage advice. You give of your time and expertise so freely, and that's kinda what makes some sites on the net cool places to hang out. Beware, though, I will probably have lots more questions!)

Congratulations on your purchase! When you get it, use it for a fair amount of time before forming an opinion. You are coming from a rubber dome keyboard, right? If this is the case, the feelign is going to be different and may take time to get used to.

There will not be many people who will come and tell you it's silly to spend so much money on keyboards, not when some of them have spent on Topre/HHKB keyboards, at least not on this forum. If anything else, we are more aware of the difference a good keyboard can make and that these keyboards are not cheap.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:45:11 »
The Das?! Well that was obviously a mistake and you should've bought something else.

I kid of course, don't become emotionally unstable just yet :)

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:56:51 »
The Das is a lovely looking keyboard and I'm sure you'll love it too.

This forum sure is a fun place to hang around, but there's the small downside -- I've only started to feel like I need to buy all kinds of different keyboards/switches to try all of them out and to have a little collection of my favorites.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 12:33:20 »
but there's the small downside -- I've only started to feel like I need to buy all kinds of different keyboards/switches to try all of them out and to have a little collection of my favorites.

Just as it's true that you can't drown in a calm ocean, it is also true that mental illness is contagious.

Sure do appreciate you guys.

Btw, if anyone does order the same keyboard, be careful. The one on Amazon is NOT the "quiet" version.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 12:34:05 »
Congrats on pulling the trigger!

Quote from: patrickgeekhack;245008
When you get it, use it for a fair amount of time before forming an opinion. You are coming from a rubber dome keyboard, right? If this is the case, the feelign is going to be different and may take time to get used to.

Agreed 100%.  My previous rubber dome Microsoft board instantly made me despise every other rubber dome board I came across, but it took a couple weeks of constant use on my mechanical board to make that Microsoft board feel disgusting.  I was expecting my opinion to change faster like before, but it can take time.  I'm sure that coming from a crappy rubber dome board will make it easier for you to love the Das faster, but still give it some time. :)

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 12:35:13 »
Don't worry, some of us actually enjoy the calm click of the Cherry MX Blues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 15:04:16 »
Or this....

Will get myself the brown cherry version, although the blue cherry is very tempting...

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline zefrer

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 08:11:28 »
Quote from: SirClickAlot;245129
Or this....

Will get myself the brown cherry version, although the blue cherry is very tempting...

Regards.

Likewise for me his Sirness. I'm actually waiting for your STB to arrive so I can try out the blues and everything else before deciding on a 2nd keyboard :heh: