Poll

Deck Legend or XArmor U9BL?  leave a comment why

eck Legend
3 (42.9%)
Armor U9BL
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Fri, 19 November 2010, 22:25:06

Author Topic: Deck Legened vs XArmor U9BL  (Read 3570 times)

Offline hfcobra

Deck Legened vs XArmor U9BL
« on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 22:23:49 »
Hey I have really gotten into learning all that I can about mechanical keyboards lately and now I have heard that Deck keyboards are much better than the new XArmor U9BL.  Does anyone know why?  I have heard the keycaps are not the best but as far as i know, comparing something that lasts 10 years and something that lasts 15 years there really isn't much reason to compare the two, they will both last longer than something else on the keyboard or at the worst, it will be sold or thrown away before 10 years have gone by for something newer.
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 08:45:15 »
i like the design - XArmor U9BL

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 08:55:21 »
I think it's tough to say which one is "better" they both go in slightly different directions.

The Decks are no-nonsense boards with great build quality, insane sturdiness and longevity. They also look plain awesome in my book but they don't offer anything like media keys and that sort of thing. Also they are freakin expensive and the company that produces them is basically not doing anything. They don't develop new ****, they don't expand, they don't advance in any way. They are actually receding everywhere, the products and information offered on the deck webpage has reduced constantly over the past years. Nowadays you can order a very limited amount of products on their website and there is close to no information found there. The forum looks like a desert, too. If you contact them u always talk to the same person, Adam and I would wager that there are not many more people working there. Deck might well be a dying company. Might be because they are as self proclaimed "not interested in turning a profit" but just make a kickass keyboard "cuz we can".......

iOne on the other hand is a taiwanese keyboard manufacturer that is making strong pushes on the market and look more like they are just getting started and have plans for their future, which Deck obviously doesn't.

The x-armor u9BL looks sweet, offers lots of good features and at a nice price. But it is way too early to comment on it because there aren't any facts on how good the key printing method they use actually is. It could be a total flop (as many expect, rubber coating has never been a good call thus far) or it could be a genius new way of printing keycaps (as many hope but few believe).

So which one is "better" ? No idea, wait for the x-armor u9bl to be established and have been used for half a year or year by some people, then see their reviews particularly on key wear.

If someone would want to gift me one of the two I would choose the Deck, hands down. It's just more valuable right now and the keys are one of a kind. In the future this might become even more true if Deck should really die as I suspect.

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 17:18:37 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;244911
I think it's tough to say which one is "better" they both go in slightly different directions.

The Decks are no-nonsense boards with great build quality, insane sturdiness and longevity. They also look plain awesome in my book but they don't offer anything like media keys and that sort of thing. Also they are freakin expensive and the company that produces them is basically not doing anything. They don't develop new ****, they don't expand, they don't advance in any way. They are actually receding everywhere, the products and information offered on the deck webpage has reduced constantly over the past years. Nowadays you can order a very limited amount of products on their website and there is close to no information found there. The forum looks like a desert, too. If you contact them u always talk to the same person, Adam and I would wager that there are not many more people working there. Deck might well be a dying company. Might be because they are as self proclaimed "not interested in turning a profit" but just make a kickass keyboard "cuz we can".......

iOne on the other hand is a taiwanese keyboard manufacturer that is making strong pushes on the market and look more like they are just getting started and have plans for their future, which Deck obviously doesn't.

The x-armor u9BL looks sweet, offers lots of good features and at a nice price. But it is way too early to comment on it because there aren't any facts on how good the key printing method they use actually is. It could be a total flop (as many expect, rubber coating has never been a good call thus far) or it could be a genius new way of printing keycaps (as many hope but few believe).

So which one is "better" ? No idea, wait for the x-armor u9bl to be established and have been used for half a year or year by some people, then see their reviews particularly on key wear.

If someone would want to gift me one of the two I would choose the Deck, hands down. It's just more valuable right now and the keys are one of a kind. In the future this might become even more true if Deck should really die as I suspect.

great post, thanks for the info.  I still think that i would prefer the new U9BL, even if the keys wear off a little it is more of an aesthetics issue than a performance one, correct?

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 00:18:09 »
bump for more votes and some more opinions.  Has anyone managed to wear down their iOne U9 keycaps yet?    :P

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 07:31:22 »
Quote from: hfcobra;245284
bump for more votes and some more opinions.  Has anyone managed to wear down their iOne U9 keycaps yet?    :P

nah, I just recently asked bout that, still too early and not that many people have one I guess.

@ the previous question

If a am not mistaken what the concern is with the U9bl key printing is that the rubber coating will wear off, the letters/symbols themselves are pad printed/laser etched or sth solid like that. So in that sense, I believe it would rather be a "fashion" problem because keycaps that loose their rubber coating just look very ugly. But I believe you would still be able to read the lettering so performance wise it should be alright.

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 23:22:32 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;245327
nah, I just recently asked bout that, still too early and not that many people have one I guess.

@ the previous question

If a am not mistaken what the concern is with the U9bl key printing is that the rubber coating will wear off, the letters/symbols themselves are pad printed/laser etched or sth solid like that. So in that sense, I believe it would rather be a "fashion" problem because keycaps that loose their rubber coating just look very ugly. But I believe you would still be able to read the lettering so performance wise it should be alright.

more good info, besides i don't think that anyone can see worn keys in the dark with the pretty blue backlight on   XD   mine will be here tomorrow and i cant wait!  UPS says its on time even though its about 6 hours away and still hasn't departed they say that it will still be here before the weekend, so that is great.   :D

also, i read on here that the rubber even has ANOTHER layer on top of it, and on XArmor's site they say that the keys will not wear off......we shall see........

Offline Kairxa

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 03:28:52 »
If it does wear off.. It's the time for plasti-dip then ;)

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 04:28:30 »
Quote from: hfcobra;245807

also, i read on here that the rubber even has ANOTHER layer on top of it, and on XArmor's site they say that the keys will not wear off......we shall see........

That's what makes the verdict on the U9BL inconclusive. This layer on top of the rubber coating could a) be a genius new way to do it or b) just another stupid marketing gag that doesn't actually prevent the rubber coating from wearing off.

Only time can tell so I am happy you bought one, more input in the future :D

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 20:45:03 »
Every time I think the finish is wearing off on the U9BL keys, it's moisture on the keys. I've had mine under 6 months.

There is NO VISUAL SIGN OF WEAR on my recently-acquired used Deck, nor is there visual wear on the two TG3 keyboards I've owned and used for a year. TG3 makes keyboards for Deck, is their parent company.

The primary differences are between key feel.

Xarmor U9BL and Deck Tactile
New Cherry blues - crisp sharp click with audio and feel
Abused Cherry blues - subtle like cherry browns or crunchy like ALPS montereys

Deck Linear, TG3
New Cherry blacks - lubricated sex with your dream lover after hours of foreplay
Used Cherry blacks - good sex
Abused Cherry blacks - smooth and delightful
Ancient Cherry blacks - smooth and delightful
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 November 2010, 20:51:46 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 17:07:27 »
Quote from: ricercar;249533
Every time I think the finish is wearing off on the U9BL keys, it's moisture on the keys. I've had mine under 6 months.

Sounds like an endorsement so far ;)

Are u using it heavily at all? Cuzz u got a bunch of boards, right? Can imagine the U9BL gets little use among all those fancy schmancy goodies :D

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 20:03:02 »
The U9BL is my main board on my desktop PC due to the PS/2 port. It's used about 15-25 hours per week. I rarely swap it out for another keyboard.

On my laptop and handhelds I swap through my USB and USB/PS2 keyboards depending on mood. This machine gets 60 hours a week, with 4 or 5 keyboards in the cycle (Chosen for mood of Cherry blacks, blues, browns, and backlit blacks at night).
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 05:36:49 »
I see now.

Well then we may be leaning towards teh "that weird new key-coating method from iOne is genius" right about nah, wouldn't we?

I like that because I think that was the only possible drawback to that board (at least on paper)! Let's see, the x-armor u9bl should be out before the end of the year in Ger-Layout and I will get a sample then. Will bug you around that time for more key-wear info ricer :D