Author Topic: Gateway Anykey  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Pylon

Gateway Anykey
« on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 13:47:07 »
I just got a filthy example of one of these for free, and these are unusually good quality for a rubber dome. They've got Cherry compatible double shot keycaps, though they're low contrast (kinda defeats the purpose of double shot when you could go dye sub or laser and get better contrast and equal durability), a decent metal backplate, separate barrel plate, and the controller is huge. Key feel is decent for a rubber dome, but still not as good as my Quietkey.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

Gateway Anykey
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 13:48:21 »
Pictures ?

Did you mean this ?

The Gateway AnyKey is a programmable PC keyboard that was sold with desktop computers from the Gateway 2000 company roughly from 1990 to 1995. It was manufactured in at least five known versions and incarnations by Tucson, Arizona-based Maxi Switch, now a subsidiary of LiteOn Technology Corporation. The AnyKey is no longer manufactured, with the latest dated model available marked 1996. Maxi Switch, Gateway, and LiteOn currently do not offer any product labeled as or comparable to the AnyKey.

The AnyKey keyboard is easily distinguished from other generic keyboards by an extra double column of F keys on the left side, a unique eight directional arrow key pad as opposed to the traditional inverted T, and a quartet of extra keys directly above the numeric pad that control the programmable aspects of the keyboard. They are labeled “Program Macro”, “Suspend Macro”, “Repeat Rate”, and “Remap”, reading left to right. All versions of the AnyKey are white or very light gray with some keys (notably the programming keys, extra function keys, and arrows) in a darker gray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_AnyKey
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2010, 13:53:02 by Moogle Stiltzkin »
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline didjamatic

Gateway Anykey
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 14:00:25 »
It's programmable, that's why they're sought after vs. others that aren't.  
Northgate Omnikey fanatics like the arrow clusters like that one pictured too.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Gateway Anykey
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 14:51:49 »
I have one of these, and the keys feel about as good as your average mechanical, even though they are rubber dome.  I'd take the Anykey over the Quietkey any day.  I never thought to check for double-shot keys, but you're right.  They just have a really low contrast.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline gore

Gateway Anykey
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 15:18:10 »
I have one of those and I love it for the extra keys, macro function and remap function, but I don't actually like the feel of the keys. Anyone know of any mechanicals with the same function set? Or how would I go about modifying the board into one, anyone done it before?