Author Topic: What is right for me?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 22:55:52 »
I got into mechanical keyboards last year. I bought a dell AT101W because it was cheap and I didn't have very deep pockets. It was a nice start but I was hoping to eventually try some of the really olden style keyboards people rave about like the model M. Not wanting an old looking keyboard I bought a a black Model M13 Trackpoint II which I'm using now. Right from the beginning I thought it was a little stiff and the trackpoint thingy got in my way. I ripped out the trackpoint but the keys are so hard to press my hands are already tired and I've only typed five and a half sentences. In spite of my initial concerns I went out and bought two more Model M13 Trackpoint II so I would be set for the rest of my life. Sadly I don't think I'll be able to stand them that long. The key stiffness is getting to me and now I'm looking for other options.

I remember in high school there was this one old keyboard, probably as old as I am. It was unlike any other keyboard there, not clicky exactly, but not silent. I think it may have been a rubber dome, I'm not sure if you had to ground out for a key press to register or not, but it was such a pleasure to type on I don't care what switch it used I want one.

I recently moved back to my home town, that high school is just down the street. I'm considering going over there tomorrow to see if they still have it (6 years later) to find out what type it was. But anyway, what would the best keyboard for me be? Currently I'm looking at full sized toper switch keyboards as an option.

Offline patrickgeekhack

What is right for me?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 03:20:10 »
I think Cherry switches will feel much lighter than what you have now.  I have noticed that typing posture will affect how fast my fingers will get tired. The Model M is like a typewriter, and usually the keys of a typewriter are pressed using the force of the whole arm rather than the just force of the fingers. So, maybe try a different typing style?

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
What is right for me?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 06:15:41 »
There are people who claim that the Model M is the best option for everything, but I personally don't think so.

The stiffness of BS comes in very handy for me when I code, but coding doesn't require speed but accuracy and lots of special characters. Additionally, I can't touch-type correctly (as they teach in courses and typing tutorials), which means I move my hands a lot all over the keyboard, as typing with my index fingers on 'f' and 'j' on qwerty is just very tiring for me (on any keyboard).

Also, I find it a bit harder to type normal text on the M than on a lighter keyboard. Of course there are people who use model Ms for translating and writing essays, bit maybe they have stronger hands then me.

Anyway, even though the M is absolutely the best keyboard for me, I don't think it's good for everybody, at least not for all typists. Before it, I also used a Dell AT101W with black alps and I liked it a lot. It's much less stiff than anything BS, and I think I used to type normal texts faster and more easily on it than now, but I don't care, because of how little I write.

It's a shame I've never tried any cherry switches, but according to their description, blues may be worth trying, especially if you touch-type properly and type a lot.

BTW the Dell is a very good keyboard, one of my favourite.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

woody

What is right for me?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 06:33:00 »
The thing is, komar007 is right - keyboard for programmers and keyboard for massive typing (e.g. translation) may require different dynamics.

Offline patrickgeekhack

What is right for me?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 06:34:12 »
Quote from: komar007;245856
There are people who claim that the Model M is the best option for everything, but I personally don't think so.

The stiffness of BS comes in very handy for me when I code, but coding doesn't require speed but accuracy and lots of special characters. Additionally, I can't touch-type correctly (as they teach in courses and typing tutorials), which means I move my hands a lot all over the keyboard, as typing with my index fingers on 'f' and 'j' on qwerty is just very tiring for me (on any keyboard).

Also, I find it a bit harder to type normal text on the M than on a lighter keyboard. Of course there are people who use model Ms for translating and writing essays, bit maybe they have stronger hands then me.

Anyway, even though the M is absolutely the best keyboard for me, I don't think it's good for everybody, at least not for all typists. Before it, I also used a Dell AT101W with black alps and I liked it a lot. It's much less stiff than anything BS, and I think I used to type normal texts faster and more easily on it than now, but I don't care, because of how little I write.

It's a shame I've never tried any cherry switches, but according to their description, blues may be worth trying, especially if you touch-type properly and type a lot.

There's a lot of truth in your comment. The trick is for a person to find the keyboad which is right for he or she. I also find that  my mood sometimes dictate what keyboard I used. But in general, I like blue Cherry because it has a nice balance of force required,  tactile and audio feedback. For when I need to be relatively quiet, I use the  Topre or the brown Cherry.

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:38:11 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;245835
I think Cherry switches will feel much lighter than what you have now.  I have noticed that typing posture will affect how fast my fingers will get tired. The Model M is like a typewriter, and usually the keys of a typewriter are pressed using the force of the whole arm rather than the just force of the fingers. So, maybe try a different typing style?

You're right, it is easier to type with different postures. I noticed that I type a lot better with the M13 in my lap than I do with it on the desk. I also like how I can do that easily thanks to its curly cable. Sometimes I like to put my feet up on the desk put my keyboard on my lap and type away. But sometimes I just have to get down to business and type where I can easily access my mouse.

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:46:26 »
Quote from: komar007;245856

Black alps you say? I think mine has white. Its an alright keyboard but it does stick ever so slightly on some keys. I'm sure that's just a problem with mine.

I'm partly in the same boat as you as far as coding goes. I don't notice the fatigue when I'm coding but I still think my speed takes a hit. I think for now I'll go back to the dell AT101W. But I still want something new under my finger tips.

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:50:18 »
Quote from: acfrazier;245857
Personally, if you like the buckling spring, but would prefer a keyboard that requires less force, go with a model F. I'm using one now, and compared to the model M it's a lot less stiff.

I wonder if the model F is the keyboard I used at school all those years ago. At this point I might even be curious enough to take a shower and venture into the sunlight to check. I looked at some pictures of it on the internet and it does look familiar. Though there were only two ancient keyboards at school one I liked and one I didn't, so it's anybody's guess.

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:53:54 »
Is there a wiki or something covering how to hook up some of these old keyboards to modern computers? I'm looking at a model F on ebay but it has a serial connection. I'd like to know if that can be adapted to PS2.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2010, 10:40:37 by LETE »

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

What is right for me?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 13:24:11 »
There are AT to PS/2 converters, you just need to find one on E-Bay or somewhere.

I'd try and get some keyboards the same way, i.e. landing bargains as they come on whatever keyboards those are from your demand range and your price range, particularly if you can save some on shipment. I currently have almost 20 keyboards here for this reason. Still haven't arrived at my favourite yet, though. BS the loveliest but too stiff, scissors too rubbery, Alps too wobbly, black Cherries too unpredictable/strange to type on, brown cherries hard not to bottom out (plus I broke the contact in the spacebar when mounting the switch back late at night and tired) etc. etc. Plus, it's kinda fun looking for bargains and being surprised.

If I had to sit down and spam some code, I'd probably pick either Model M (the general favourite but really largely because of the emotional attachment because this is the same unit I had as a teenager) or the least wobbly Dell out of the 10 in my collection. Brown Cherries might be too light when going through the punctuation cluster (brackets, semicolons etc.). I'm not sure because I've never touched one, but blue Cherry could be the best switch for coding jobs, at least judging by my taste (clear tacticle actuation, medium strength), although I'd be tempted to keep experimenting.

What would be even better would be getting this 3178 terminal keyboard plugged. That's the best typing feel I've ever had. Perhaps Model F would be the closest thing to it out of what's normally operable with a modern computer.

Besides, people claim Model M's differ between one another (I would say the Dell AT101W's also do...), so if you live in the US, where you can find them at flea markets and similar places, then you could take a walk from time to time and just try by hand if that's what you like.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2010, 13:35:26 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline didjamatic

What is right for me?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 13:29:59 »
You sound like you need to try some Cherry Browns in your next keyboard.  If you want them to click, Cherry Blues which are heavier but still lighter than Buckling Springs.

There are some rubber dome keyboards that feel great IMO.  The problem is they don't stay that way for long.

Also, remember you need to type on something for a few days before you'll know if you really like it.  Let your hands and body adjust to the new board and use proper technique.  Then you'll know for sure if you want something lighter or different.  Sometimes you go back and forth a few times before you realize what you really like.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

What is right for me?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 13:40:27 »
Quote from: didjamatic;246012
You sound like you need to try some Cherry Browns in your next keyboard.  If you want them to click, Cherry Blues which are heavier but still lighter than Buckling Springs.

There are some rubber dome keyboards that feel great IMO.  The problem is they don't stay that way for long.

Also, remember you need to type on something for a few days before you'll know if you really like it.  Let your hands and body adjust to the new board and use proper technique.  Then you'll know for sure if you want something lighter or different.  Sometimes you go back and forth a few times before you realize what you really like.

Well, if you do want rubber domes, you can go to a big computer shop with a big keyboard aisle and just try them one by one. Some cheap models come out surprisingly good, as do some relatively unknown brands that don't sell high, e.g. I have a scissors switch Hama SL570 that's surprisingly good (very thin, profiled board with scissor switches, heavy plate in the bottom and rubber feet for stability). But if you had to spend several dozen bucks on a rubber dome, I'd buy a (used) mechanical board instead.

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 13:33:48 »
So I ended up going. (no cheerleaders, it was too cold out) It seems the school has switched over to 99 cent keyboards made by acer that are lighter than a pencil. Luckily they had my favorite old keyboard in the storage/server room but the keys had been salvaged to make Christmas ornaments. I was able to get the model number off the back, it was a model M 71G4644  with rubber domes. I'm bidding on one right now, but I was wondering if I can take the guts from this 71G4644 and stick it in one of my black M13s so it looks nice.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

What is right for me?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 13:51:46 »
If they let you take it, and that model uses the same keys as buckling spring variants (you know, the rest of them), then you can buy a set of replacement keycaps for $25 plus shipping from unicomp.

In fact I would think their own rubber dome boards would be similar or the same. I don't really have any intentions of getting either one personally, but if that's what you're after it might be worth looking into.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 13:01:58 »
I just got that rubber dome model m. It's not the dream machine I remember it being. At least I have an idea for geeky Christmas ornaments. What a bummer.

Offline LETE

What is right for me?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 13:08:31 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;327478
If they let you take it, and that model uses the same keys as buckling spring variants (you know, the rest of them), then you can buy a set of replacement keycaps for $25 plus shipping from unicomp.

In fact I would think their own rubber dome boards would be similar or the same. I don't really have any intentions of getting either one personally, but if that's what you're after it might be worth looking into.

I'm afraid the keys are incompatible between RD and BS. The hollow shaft where the spring goes is filled in with a plastic tab on the RD version. And the BS keys do fit the RD keyboard but they don't depress the membrane consistently.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

What is right for me?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 01:16:51 »
Unicomp sells rubberdome varients. I'd be surprised if they couldn't sell you keycaps that were compatible.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)