Author Topic: IBM Model F problems  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Village_Idiot

IBM Model F problems
« on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:17:30 »
So I stumbled upon a free IBM clicky keyboard a while ago, which I excitedly assumed was a model M. But when I bought an AT->PS2 adaptor, I found that it was indeed a model F of the XT variety.

So I decided to build an XT->PS2 adapter, either kbdbabel or home-designed, but I have an issue. I cannot for the life of me manage to get any signal out of this keyboard. I've been hooking it up to my oscilloscope for 2 days now trying to find a little bit of life on the clock or data pins (I've had gnd and vcc hooked up respectively to an AC->DC 5V connector) unsuccessfully. I even opened the keyboard and interfaced the wires directly to where the cord plugs into the PCB without luck.

So at this point, I'm figuring one of 3 things has happened:
  • A capacitor/resistor is dead somewhere.
  • The microcontroller is fried
  • It's just plain broke.

I'm hoping that worst case I can replace any fried caps or components, or if desperate interface a new microcontroller into the capacitance matrix, but I haven't seen any guides or information that'd guide me.

Any ideas on what my best next step would be?

Offline kps

IBM Model F problems
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 09:34:20 »
I'm a programmer with a screwdriver, but to start,
  • check whether /RST is high
  • check whether the oscillator is oscillatin’

Offline Village_Idiot

IBM Model F problems
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 10:17:16 »
Wait, the RESET pin has to be high on XT? Most pinouts I've seen had it marked as not used, and the internal connector only has 4 wires going to the board, which I assumed were vcc, ground, clock, and data.

Offline kps

IBM Model F problems
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 10:37:12 »
EDIT: I meant reset on the controller, not the connector.

kbdbabel has the schematic. Reset is pin 4 of the 8049, fed by a the 7474 latch (pin 9) fed by an RC pair to delay it a little after power on.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2010, 10:40:09 by kps »