Author Topic: About Model M  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Nikon

About Model M
« on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 16:44:41 »
Hello,

My brother brought a Model M home this morning. Presumably, its model is 1391412 (Largest numbers on the backside. I assume this is the model number). It's dated 1st April, 1992, made in the UK. Logo is gray, top left corner. The F9 and "Numpad -" key caps are missing, but there's a gray stub that they were mounted on, that is still present. Both keys are operational. It also comes with a detachable cable.

Weirdness starts here. The PS/2 end of the cable only has 4 pins. Upon closer inspection, there seem to be traces of the missing pins where they used to be (Pins #1 and #3 clockwise from 12 o'clock). However, the traces are very faint and are covered with black plastic. My brother insist that there were only 4 pins initially. I'm not so sure about that. Keyboard works, however. I don't know what to make of it, is that a normal occurence?

The keys feel very weird as well. Admittedly, I've never used a mechanical keyboard, but the thing is that the backforce from the keys makes them not trigger properly sometimes. Maybe I'm not pressing hard enough, who knows? I can also hear the springs inside when I press the keys properly and they produce this mildly annoying sound in addition to the click.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2010, 16:47:41 by Nikon »

Offline VentiLator

About Model M
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 16:52:26 »
open the keyboard. you should see the bare cables being soldered at some point. count them ;)

there is a full list of model m's on wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard#

under "Features by part number" click at "show"

you might want to contact Daniel Beaver for some keycaps ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2010, 16:56:26 by VentiLator »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
About Model M
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 17:04:01 »
Quote from: Nikon;246094
Hello,
... It's dated 1st April, 1992, made in the UK. ....

Your keyboard must be an April-joke.

Get your D3x out and take some photographs!

Ah..., and: Welcome to Geekhack!
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX