Author Topic: Why does the spacebar on my new unicomp keyboard have a stabilizer bar*?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline sam113101

It doesn't even stabilize it. The keys wobble much.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline hfcobra

Why does the spacebar on my new unicomp keyboard have a stabilizer bar*?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 November 2010, 23:33:56 »
so that if you press it on one side then the switch in the center still works and registers a key press.   My stabilizer bar on my Dell Quiet Key from a while back broke and now the space bar cannot work unless i press it perfectly in the center.
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline codek

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 01:34:44 »
are these stabilizer bars on most model m's?

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 07:49:02 »
Quote from: codek;246230
are these stabilizer bars on most model m's?

As far as I know, they're on all M space bars- never seen one w/o it.  Now on older Ms, the numpad enter and + keys have stabilizers too.  But that seemed to go away around 1987.  Someone else here could say for sure.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 15:03:19 »
It's not like the newer Ms wouldn't have anything stabilizing there - the funny colored inserts serve the same purpose and generally don't do a much worse job (well, unless you got a problem with loose rivets...).

Oh, the key stems on MX switches wobble quite a bit, too - but as in case of the BS boards, this doesn't affect function negatively, so noone cares. Key wobble might be a half-decent quality indicator on rubber dome boards. I think it's only the combination with increased friction that makes this critical.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D