Author Topic: Just got me a cherry g80-3000 at work  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

Just got me a cherry g80-3000 at work
« on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:39:21 »
It is cherry clears indeed.

Like the feel so far, feels very much like the blacks I have to say... Not so much like the blues. I actually expected browns but what the heck. Whites are also interesting to try and not nearly as loud as the blues :D

What I have to say about the board is that the build quality looks incredibly cheap. I have read about this but couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it first hand. The frame of the board just SUCKS. I mean it's like the cheapest plastic I have seen, even cheap ass rubber dome Logitechs have better frams. The frame is HUGE and I thought that's because they want to maybe use more material to make it seem more stable but I can literally pick it up and twist it. It bends like crazy...

Key printing feels solid albeit a little bit uneven.

All in all I would say you get what you pay for: The incredible feel and awesomeness of mech boards for a very low price (50€).
But of course there have to be compromises in this and that's basically the rest of the board. Like the feet though, seem solid and look fancy. Still beats any rubber dome for sure though, the keys are still schweet so all is good :D

We had a discussion in another forum about why cherry may want to gradually decrease the quality of its products. I think the car-manufacturer theory applies here.

Car manufacturers used to make cars that rarely broke and were basically build to last for a looooong time. All you had to do was make an oil change once in a while and replace those tires. Other car manufacturers entered the market and sold inferior quality cars which included many parts that were actually "built to break" after a certain time. Because they sold those inferior cars so damn cheap, a lot of people bought them nonetheless. And because they had so many parts in them that were "built to break", a steady stream of money was secured from each customer because they would have to buy parts every few months and a new car every few years.
As a result, the new car manufacturers got filthy rich and the old ones made losses, couldn't continue to compete and finally died out.

The "new" car manufacturers with inferior quality cars would be Logitech in the Keyboard world. They have made lots of money because ppl made short-sighted investments that only result in continuous purchases which actually cost more than buying 1 solid product that lasts very long.

The old car manufacturers would be Cherry in the keyboard world. However Cherry also had and still has (and prolly always will have) the monopole on many things essential to keyboards because they have the patent rights to stuff like switches y'know ...
So they are still alive and will continue to be. But they look at Logitech and are PISSED they make so much more money and they want in on the action.

So, step by step they reduce the quality of their products. Prolly hoping no one will notice (yeah right ...). Until they are on par with Logitech, just offering better technology maybe (still got those mech switches).
Then hopefully all the lemmings will also buy a Cherry board every 1-2 years and they can get multiple purchases out of their own customers, too.

Damn you cherry, that's the wrong way to go I say !

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:44:16 »
Cherry already has lots of cheap rubber domes, and they're a pretty big name in Europe.

They're just trying to make mechanical keyboards cheap enough that people will buy them.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:49:50 »
yeah but back in the days they made those everlasting boards with double shot keycaps, no?

If I go to stores or the post office or wherever, I also see all those boards with magnet card readers and such and those things don't look like they will EVER break either.

As a big name in the keyboard biz you naturally have cheap stuff available as well. But to make your good stuff loose quality... idk

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:52:05 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;247496
yeah but back in the days they made those everlasting boards with double shot keycaps, no?

If I go to stores or the post office or wherever, I also see all those boards with magnet card readers and such and those things don't look like they will EVER break either.

As a big name in the keyboard biz you naturally have cheap stuff available as well. But to make your good stuff loose quality... idk

The G81 keyboards will last forever simply because the mechanisms are too simple to fail. But my G80-8200 is a long way from feeling indestructible. Not as flexy as you make your G80-3000 sound, but still flexy.
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:53:32 »
Cartmenez - that board has been listed as 2KRO but could you do a quick test for us to make sure? Thanks in advance!

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 10:06:17 »
yeah I will test it but tomorrow
got some stuff I still need to get done today.

Offline FoxSpirit

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 10:26:23 »
Since I'm also sitting at a G80-3000 right now let me check.

q+a+.... nope, s isn't working. w neither.

That said, the quality issue is WAY overexxagerated. I have 2 Logitechs right hzere and the plastic of the Cherry is way... let's say I touch it and THIS is how I remember good old plastic to feel. Sounds pretty hard. Flexing is ok and "enough" so 1mm unevenness of the desk won't make your kb dangle a corner yet stiff enough for it to feel good.
I LOVE my G80-3000 Blue, don't want to ever go back to a rubber now. For €50, a true steal.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 10:26:35 »
Mine is 2KRO, if that helps.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 11:36:32 »
nice one ;)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 11:42:07 »
Quote from: ripster
You Doubt The NKRO Wiki?

I dunno...I just always thought it seemed strange that the G80-3000 is not nkro while the G80-3494 is, since they are fairly similar keyboards (at least in looks).

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 11:47:43 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;247560
I dunno...I just always thought it seemed strange that the G80-3000 is not nkro while the G80-3494 is, since they are fairly similar keyboards (at least in looks).

The will of the Cherry Corp. is vast and inscrutable....

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 11:58:50 »
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Offline celery

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 15:22:15 »
I agree with the comments on the Cherry cases, but this is just probably cost-cutting. The car-manufacturer issue you referred to is known as "planned obsolescence" and is pretty hard to pull off. It was actually the old American car manufacturers doing it back in the day, and it all came to a halt once Japanese cars entered the market in the 60s.

Back to keyboards, I doubt this would work with so much competition. Planned obsolescence works when you know the customer will buy another product from your company. Imagine an XYZ keyboard breaks after a year or two of use; what are the chances of the consumer buying another keyboard from XYZ? Not only are there 20 different manufacturers putting out functionally identical products, but also it doesn't take much to push a consumer away from your brand--read some reviews on Newegg for examples of that.

Besides that, it's pretty rare for a keyboard, even for cheapo rubber domes, to break. I've never seen a keyboard shell break outside of blatant abuse, and even a crack or two isn't going to stop the keyboard from functioning. I'd assume that's why Logitech et al are more focused on styling changes and adding random features to try and convince people to replace their existing, perfectly working keyboards (of course, that's a form of planned obsolescence too).

Offline panda-R

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 15:27:50 »
does the cherry cheapness extend to their other boards, specifically the G80-3494? I was thinking of ordering one from the china.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 06:50:07 »
Quote from: ripster;247754
Your avatar tells me that you should be happy with the proletarian Cherry Corporation build, Comrade!

Lol, Ripster is on fire in this thread

The g80-3000 is the cheapest mech board retailed atm (afaik) and it is thus to be expected that the built quality is not the greatest. I don't think other cherries will have similar issues, particularly if you go into the boards they sell to office drones ;)

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 08:17:23 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;247985
Lol, Ripster is on fire in this thread

The g80-3000 is the cheapest mech board retailed atm (afaik) and it is thus to be expected that the built quality is not the greatest. I don't think other cherries will have similar issues, particularly if you go into the boards they sell to office drones ;)

The G80-3000 are very flimsily put together ( using clamps ) and feel very light. The only one I liked was the blue cherried one because of the excellent blue cherry switch. The blue cherried one has now become my frankenstein board.

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 11:09:48 »
lol nice

well after typing on it for 2 days now I am also a bit disappointed with the keycaps. Feel weird....

The cherry clears are also defo not my favorite switches. I had my hands on blacks, blues and clears now. I am definitely a softie and prefer the blues over all of them right now. I was actually hoping to get browns in the g80 but alas...

Now I just have to decide whether I wait for January/February and buy a Filco Tenkeyless with browns (GER layout) or go for the Topre which is now available in Ger-Layout....

Tough decision.

Offline whininggit

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 12:46:50 »
The case isn't the best, sure, but the quality is excellent where it is needed (i.e. soldering, keycaps, stabilizers etc, and of course, the key-switches).

By contrast, the Logitech I use at work has a very solid case but some keys need to be hit harder than others, the key caps have worn reflective and overall it's not as nice to type on.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 13:20:55 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;248071
 I was actually hoping to get browns in the g80 but alas...

I don't understand. Were you buying a keyboard and hoping to get the switches you wanted? This is like playing Russian Roulette.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 06:25:07 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;248124
I don't understand. Were you buying a keyboard and hoping to get the switches you wanted? This is like playing Russian Roulette.

Nah, but they were described as "Soft-Druckpunkt" aka "Soft-tactile". Could've been browns imo :D
I read that it was clears somewhere but hoped they were just wrong ;)

@ripster
yeah "scratchiness" describes it well, wouldn't mind that much but the scratchiness is uneven.

And just to make things clear: It beats the hell out of the previously used Logitech Rubber Dome I had at work. But coming from my Das at home it just feels a bit cheap, what to do :)

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 07:24:55 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;247500
Cartmenez - that board has been listed as 2KRO but could you do a quick test for us to make sure? Thanks in advance!

Quote from: FoxSpirit;247525
Since I'm also sitting at a G80-3000 right now let me check.

q+a+.... nope, s isn't working. w neither.

Weird..... Using my Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 now... connected to USB.

pressing asdfjklö in one sequence without releasing the formerly pressed key:
asdfjk

6nkro?

EDIT: Oh.. yes.. depending on which keys that are being pressed... :P ... worst case is 2nkro...

Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;247985
Yepp.. its cheap... but as long as you just have it on the same place and type on it you really don't notice the chap plastic. I have never felt that it "twistes" while writing on it.
I think that it is quite awesome that you can get a mechanical keyboard for less then 50€. If you would try to build one yourself that would hardly cover the price for just buying the switches.

Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;248071
The cherry clears are also defo not my favorite switches. I had my hands on blacks, blues and clears now. I am definitely a softie and prefer the blues over all of them right now. I was actually hoping to get browns in the g80 but alas...
I love the Cherry Clears... I think the browns are much to light... but as you say, it would be nice if there existed standards Cherry G80-3000 keyboards with browns so you could get a cherry brown keyboard for a decant price. And sure. The clears is not like a heavier brown.. they are quite a story for them self.

Quote from: patrickgeekhack;248124
I think he meant that he bought a Cherry Clear keyboard in hope that it would feel like the browns...
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 November 2010, 08:52:21 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 07:59:28 »
Quote from: zmurf;248545

Yepp.. its cheap... and but as long as you just have it on the same place and type on it you really don't notice the chap plastic. I have never felt that it "twistes" while writing on it.
I think that it quite awesome that you can get a mechanical keyboard for less then 50€. If you would try to build one yourself that would hardly cover the price for just buying the switches.

I, too, like the G80-3000 quite a lot and think that the price was very nice for a blue Cherry MX keyboard. Mine was $66.25, plus shipping. My first one cost me a bit more because it was at a time when the exchange rate was bad.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 08:11:05 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;248538
Nah, but they were described as "Soft-Druckpunkt" aka "Soft-tactile". Could've been browns imo :D
I read that it was clears somewhere but hoped they were just wrong ;)

this is hopeless - i wish it would be the otherway....

Offline rEiGN

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 08:12:47 »
So, would you recommend G80-3000 for work, or will I totally hate it now that I have Filco at home? Also, any pics that would show the flimsy build quality?

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 09:26:55 »
Quote from: rEiGN;252520
So, would you recommend G80-3000 for work, or will I totally hate it now that I have Filco at home? Also, any pics that would show the flimsy build quality?

as zmurf summed up beautifully:

Once you have it at work and don't move it around quite a lot and just type on it, you don't really notice the cheap build.

It's actually "just about right" for a working environment, because this way, every time I go home, I am looking forward to my Das because I go a little step up from work. But I still have a nice quality board at work so I don't dread to go there. Plus having blues at home and clears at work gives me the different typing experience which is nice.

All and all I am happy with the g80-3000 for work. Wouldn't by it for home use though.

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 09:28:16 »
The one and only G80-3000 which I like is the blue cherry one ( and I tried the black cherry and clear cherry G80-3000 )
The DAS 2 is also based on this G80-3000 and used to be my favorite for a long time.

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 09:53:34 »
Quote from: rEiGN;252520

I, personally, find the G80-3000 (I've got the blue Cherry) to be a great keyboard. It was my favourite keyboard for a long long time, until I tried a plate-mounted blue Cherry keyboard (Das). I don't find it to be "cheap" either. Like others have said, you are not going to be twisting it.

The othe reasons why I like the G80-3000 is that it's very light. I can lift it, and put it on my keyboard tray in the morning, and in the afternoon, I can lift it up and put it back under my monitor tray. All this without worrying that i may drop it. Even if I do drop it, I will not worry much. The shell seems to be made of plastic capable of absorbing shock. I don't know if my Das will be good at absorbing shock.