Author Topic: Loving the browns (if not the keypad)  (Read 1054 times)

Offline wordfool

Loving the browns (if not the keypad)
« on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 21:45:01 »
Just received my tenkeyless Filco brown and it seems to have doubled my typing speed from my Realforce Topre and even increased it from my Model M. Perfect key weighting for me, and being tenkeyless means I can have it properly centered on the KB tray, which also helps. Lovin' it!

The sound takes some getting used to. Not excessively loud, but it has a wonderful cheap rattle to it as I type fast and the space bar goes 'thunk' as the keys go 'clack'. Nowhere near as quiet and calming as the Realforce.

I also got the Filco number pad, also with cherry browns, and all I have to say about that is what a piece of overpriced crap! Now, I know it's not supposed to 'match' the keyboards, but could they not have done a better job at least trying to make it look slightly similar? It's thicker, deeper, the keys and casing have a different (cheap looking) surface texture, and there's a honking great silver "FILCO" at the top. Most annoyingly, it rings as you hit each key. Even brushing your fingers against the keys causes the whole thing to resonate gently like some chanting bell.

Can anyone suggest a better number pad?!
Filco TKL and Minila Air (browns) the daily drivers. Black M13 gathering dust. Former Realforce 103U afficionado