Author Topic: mechanical kb adjustment process  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Timoth79

mechanical kb adjustment process
« on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 13:16:44 »
Hi all,

I'm slowly adjusting to a dampened white alps Omnikey Evolution keyboard having previously used cheap rubber dome keyboards. It seems like with the alps board I get "punished" by bottoming out, i.e the switch seems to discourage it by increasing the pressure needed the further I press down the switch.

On the other hand, if I don't bottom out the switch, the keys accurately rebound my fingers and I can move to each key pretty quickly. Needless to say because of this I'm trying to avoid bottoming out which is getting easier with practice.

My question is are all switches like this (Cherries, BS?), and do other people here have a similar experiences in "adjusting" to mechanical keyboards?
current keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Evolution with dampened cream sliders mod

Offline sapht

• http://sapht.com/
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 13:35:59 »
I've been using mech for a year, cherry blues (Das Keyboard) and browns (Filco tenkeyless). Most of my keyboard experience has been with laptop scissor switches.

I'm in love with the browns. I still haven't adjusted to the blues, but I've used the browns more, possibly due to my blue kb being a Das, post Filco concluded to be butt-ugly. The browns took quite a while for me to understand because of the rough curve up to the tactile point. I've only recently learned to type on the without bottoming out, and I'm starting to experience the bounciness you explain. Feels good man.

With the blues, I often miss keystrokes due to the heaviness of the keys, and when I use enough force to activate them, I use too much, thus either bottoming out or missing keystrokes.
Current hoard: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Brown, Das Keyboard II Professional Blue, IBM Model M double shot keycaps, HHKB2 blank white

Offline Timoth79

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 22:33:57 »
Thanks for the response, I've read so many good things about Cherry browns I'd love to try those out at some point (blues sound nice too). The dampened alps feel much nicer then the stock white sliders, it seems now there is slightly less force required to push and a lot quieter. Bounciness is definitely nice, it sounds like it's common to have an adjustment period? Love the logic avatar :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 November 2010, 22:38:47 by Timoth79 »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 07:56:07 »
Quote from: Timoth79;248704
Hi all,

I'm slowly adjusting to a dampened white alps Omnikey Evolution keyboard having previously used cheap rubber dome keyboards. It seems like with the alps board I get "punished" by bottoming out, i.e the switch seems to discourage it by increasing the pressure needed the further I press down the switch.

That's the very point of having rubber dampers in there. (Cherry clears might be broadly similar, actually all the Cherry switches have rising force after the actuation point.) Regular Alps switches can be quite annoying as they have approximately constant force once you're over the tactile point, thus inviting bottoming out hard (poor old tendons). That, and they tend to appreciate some cleaning and lubing.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Timoth79

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 07:38:26 »
That makes sense, good to know about cherries having rising force after actuation thanks