Author Topic: I $%@#ING HATE scorpius  (Read 11107 times)

Offline Lanx

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 09:11:28 »
r u a white guy? if so idk why you haven't tried to moved to japan in the first place. You have so much advantage taking on any type of japanese+english job thing.

the keyboard issue referencing it to car maintenance is absurd. Believing that ppl should act or know what you do because, well you do is pretty short sighted.

I'm not checking the oil in my car or changing it, that's what service stations are for, nor do i care to, if i have a flat that's why i have a cell phone.

soldering took me a good while to get correct, and that a bit of time invested in googling youtube videos and then practicing, who really has time?

This is coming from a guy who is doing a total retrofit of a keyboard because nothing produced can fit my "needs", am i to think that ppl that complain about companies that don't produce exactly what they want go out and start modding away cuz i do it? no that would be disingenuous.

Offline patrickgeekhack

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 12:40:31 »
Quote from: Lanx;250102

the keyboard issue referencing it to car maintenance is absurd. Believing that ppl should act or know what you do because, well you do is pretty short sighted.

I'm not checking the oil in my car or changing it, that's what service stations are for, nor do i care to, if i have a flat that's why i have a cell phone.

And the old oil has be disposed of properly. I know how to replace my tyre, but will not do so on the highway for it's safer for me to stay in the car waiting for roadside assitance.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 13:54:14 »
Quote from: chimera15;249998
Everyone who drivers a car should know how to maintain it.

Bah, then why did God invent auto mechanics and AAA?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline chimera15

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 14:51:26 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;250098
I've never heard of that. I have a friend who worked in Japan and he applied from Europe. If you're an American or EU citizen and your background check and references check out then there's really no question if you can enter the country. And then it's up to them to sponsor you for a working visa. The only country I've heard of that prefers to hire you if you're already there is New Zealand.

Where/how did he apply?  Every serious job listing I've seen has wanted you to be in Japan for which I would be qualified for, that isn't some scam package esl bs.   All jobs require you to have a degree as well, or be a student which is why I went back to school to get one.  I really don't want to go to Japan to work as an English teacher, as most of those programs are scams, and also require you to have a BA, and also I really have no interest in being a teacher.  There are also Japan student programs and such, but I'm too old for almost all of those now.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 November 2010, 14:54:44 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 15:00:00 »
Quote from: ricercar;250198
Bah, then why did God invent auto mechanics and AAA?

God didn't invent anything cause he doesn't exist, and never did.  People invented those services for women in the 1900's that didn't want to break a nail or get their stockings torn.  Not to mention driving conditions were horrific in the 1900's.

Most good driving tests in most countries and states require you to know how to do basic car maintenance and how to change a tire.

http://www.2pass.co.uk/engine.htm

You people are nuts not knowing how to change a tire, or relying on road side assistance or your cell phone. It just shows what a ridiculous society we've grown into where no one knows how to do anything.  I swear.  You have to be able to do a basic amount of maintenance to the things you use, otherwise you shouldn't be using them.  It's called being an adult and being responsible, and not relying on other people and services for every problem you encounter.

I think it's a real joke and laughable that relying on services instead of knowledge and skill has become the definition of adult to some people.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 November 2010, 15:28:01 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 15:30:51 »
You see what I'm talking about now CodeChef?

Offline msiegel

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 15:42:40 »
Quote from: chimera15;250218
a ridiculous society we've grown into

this is a tricky area. with machines doing so much labor for us, then until we're able to reduce the population, people have to keep employed somehow, providing each other some service. which means, specialization of knowledge and compartmentalization of work are critical to prevent the economy from collapsing.

/theoretical

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline theferenc

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 15:58:24 »
Chimera, I can tear down and rebuild a computer, as many here can. I can rewire a house. I can run plumbing. I've finished basements. I can solder, and have in fact wired and built many basic electronic devices (basic meters, kill-a-watt style devices, mini-computers, etc). I've assembled a 2 stroke engine.

Having said all of that, I would NOT resolder a switch on a board that new. A board from 10 years ago? Sure. A board still under mandatory warranty? Hell no. If anything, I would get on the phone with them and demand a refund. And if they refused, just keep requesting until I've cost them more money in CS fees.

Then again, I also prefer to pay someone else to service my car. They are more adept at such tasks than I am, and I value my time at a rate higher than they charge.

Just because I *can* do something, doesn't mean I am willing to do so. Yes, I can change a tire. But I'd still call roadside assistance to do it for me in many situations (dangerous roads, high winds, stormy weather, etc.).

As has been said before, just because *you* think it's something that everyone should do doesn't mean it is.

Edit: Edited to remove rude comments.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline zefrer

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 18:38:04 »
Time is money. If it'll take you longer than it would take you to earn enough to pay someone more skilled to do a better job.. you see the point I hope.

Offline chimera15

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 18:42:33 »
There are some things you have to be responsible for and do yourself.  I don't care how much your time is worth.  Simple maintenance on things you use should be one of them.
Alps boards:

Offline theferenc

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 18:45:18 »
Simple maintenance like cleaning your keyboard, putting gas in your car, sure.

What you demand is well beyond simple maintenance.

Anyway, you clearly just want to fight, so I'm done.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline chimera15

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 19:32:21 »
Quote from: theferenc;250291
Simple maintenance like cleaning your keyboard, putting gas in your car, sure.

What you demand is well beyond simple maintenance.

Anyway, you clearly just want to fight, so I'm done.

I wouldn't call those things maintenance, that's part of normal operation of a keyboard and a car.
Alps boards:

Offline CodeChef

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 07:57:40 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;250233
You see what I'm talking about now CodeChef?

Leave me out of this bro :P
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 08:50:28 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
I $%@#ING HATE scorpius
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 November 2010, 20:43:42 »
Quote from: ripster;250309
Scorpius M10 The keyboard for people that like headaches.

Sniffing too much solder flux gives me a headache.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.