Author Topic: GATEWAY ANYKEY reduced from BIN $50 to $25 free shipping  (Read 5388 times)

Offline TexasFlood

GATEWAY ANYKEY reduced from BIN $50 to $25 free shipping
« on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 10:04:05 »
GATEWAY ANYKEY PROGRAMMABLE KEYBOARD PS/2 - MINTY ! ! ! (seller description)
Reduced from BIN $50 to $25 free shipping, not a bad deal if you're looking for one of these.

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 10:08:45 »
Minty yellow, that is.

If you want one of these, I'd check the thrift stores in your area- these show up there often, along with the Dell Quietkey.  Both good for rubber domes.

Still a good find for someone who doesn't have any other way of getting one.  TexasFlood, you're an ebay bulldog!
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 10:36:30 »
Quote from: MissileMike;251749
Minty yellow, that is.

If you want one of these, I'd check the thrift stores in your area- these show up there often, along with the Dell Quietkey.  Both good for rubber domes.

Still a good find for someone who doesn't have any other way of getting one.  TexasFlood, you're an ebay bulldog!

Mints come in a variety of colors I guess, :wink:.
I try to share what I find on fleabay.
Unless of course I have an overwhelming urge to buy it myself first, hah.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 10:45:47 »
I have one that needs its left shift stabilizer fixed and then I'll sell it. It's a 1993 Maxi-switch model and I don't like the feel too much...the RT7D5JTW-Quietkey has better feel IMO.

Also, these have low contrast double shot keycaps that are Cherry MX compatible. Sadly, the lettering is molded in dark gray, not black, so you might be better off with say, dye sub. The contrast is lower to about equal to lasered keys.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 10:58:31 »
Quote from: Pylon;251781
I have one that needs its left shift stabilizer fixed and then I'll sell it. It's a 1993 Maxi-switch model and I don't like the feel too much...the RT7D5JTW-Quietkey has better feel IMO.

Also, these have low contrast double shot keycaps that are Cherry MX compatible. Sadly, the lettering is molded in dark gray, not black, so you might be better off with say, dye sub. The contrast is lower to about equal to lasered keys.
If these weren't programmable there would be very little interest, they'd just be another vintage maxi-switch rubber dome.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 11:10:42 »
People also like fact that it has a Northgate Omnikey arrow cluster that is on some Northgates, but either they don't want to pony up the price for a Northgate or they want a quiet keyboard.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 11:14:39 »
Quote from: didjamatic;251796
People also like fact that it has a Northgate Omnikey arrow cluster that is on some Northgates, but either they don't want to pony up the price for a Northgate or they want a quiet keyboard.

Good point, found a larger picture to show that better:

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:17:04 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;251798
Good point, found a larger picture to show that better:
Show Image

Did you get that on the keyboard cemetery shown in your avatar?
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:38:57 »
Quote from: 7bit;252350
Did you get that on the keyboard cemetery shown in your avatar?

:wink: Hah, neither is mine but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one in there.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:47:34 »
$25 w/ free shipping?  That's a pretty good price for, in my opinion, the best rubber dome ever made.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Pylon

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 14:07:50 »
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but how much do you reckon a clean, untested AT-plug Anykey is worth?

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 14:48:39 »
Untested would be a problem for me.  I doubt I'd even bid on an untested keyboard.  But if it was tested and in good shape, I see them listed for anywhere from the $25 shipped here up to around $70 (although I'd be surprised if many would actually pay that top end).  $40-50 listings seem more like the average lately.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 14:52:19 »
Untested would be a problem for me.  I doubt I'd even bid on an untested keyboard.  But if it was tested and in good shape, I see them listed for anywhere from the $25 shipped here up to around $70 (although I'd be surprised if many would actually pay that top end).  $25-40 plus shipping listings seem more like the average lately.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 15:41:03 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;252378
Untested would be a problem for me.  I doubt I'd even bid on an untested keyboard.  But if it was tested and in good shape, I see them listed for anywhere from the $25 shipped here up to around $70 (although I'd be surprised if many would actually pay that top end).  $25-40 plus shipping listings seem more like the average lately.

Got mine for 10 EUR:

Key caps are in good shape and taking a bath right now.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 19:42:28 »
Quote from: 7bit;252392
Got mine for 10 EUR:
Key caps are in good shape and taking a bath right now.

Sounds like a good deal.  If the photo is an accurate depiction then it looks to be in good shape and not yellowed.
There is a little grime on the keys, but the bath should clean that right up.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 00:51:16 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;252378

Untested?  I've acquired around 20 used keyboards, several of wich have been pulled from dumpsters, and I've never found a keyboard that had problems with the electronics.  A Gateway Anykey is going to be less that 20 years old, so it's even less likely not to work.  Whether a keyboard is tested or untested is usually of little consequence.
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline msiegel

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 01:01:27 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;252472
pulled from dumpster

aka "pulled from working system" ;)

b/c you just never know...

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 01:59:53 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;252472
Untested?  I've acquired around 20 used keyboards, several of wich have been pulled from dumpsters, and I've never found a keyboard that had problems with the electronics.  A Gateway Anykey is going to be less that 20 years old, so it's even less likely not to work.  Whether a keyboard is tested or untested is usually of little consequence.

Seems like little cost and risk pulling an untested keyboard from a dumpster.  The question was what an untested keyboard was worth so I was just stating that I would be unlikely to bid and pay shipping on an untested keyboard.  Testing a keyboard is quite simple to do so I get suspicious when they are listed as untested particularly when there are most likely other ones out there that have been tested.  Pulling that same keyboard out of a dumpster, presumably for free isn't the same thing.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 08:58:45 »
Actually untested is an issue even for fairly young keyboards. I had a Lexmark Model M (pending sale) that I thought worked perfectly, but after some thorough testing found out that the / key on the numpad didn't work.

The thing is that I don't have an AT-DIN -> PS/2 adapter. I may be able to build one however.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 November 2010, 09:15:03 »
Quote from: Pylon;252523
Actually untested is an issue even for fairly young keyboards. I had a Lexmark Model M (pending sale) that I thought worked perfectly, but after some thorough testing found out that the / key on the numpad didn't work.

The thing is that I don't have an AT-DIN -> PS/2 adapter. I may be able to build one however.

And that actually makes sense to me.  That someone would end up with a keyboard having an AT plug but no AT adapter.  Not as much for folks on this forum than the general population, :wink:, hah, but still makes sense.

AT-PS/2 adapters can be quite hard to find in most stores these days.  You can get one off of ebay for $2-3 any day or if you watch & wait might get lucky and pick up a small lot of them for $1 or less.

Anyway, just offering my opinion that testing might increase what you'll get for the keyboard.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 November 2010, 02:38:25 »
My point was simply that keyboards don't generally have problems that are not readily visible from the outside, particularly membrane keyboards.  It's very unlikely that it has a problem.  Few *normal* people have DIN 5 to ps/2 converters with which to test older keyboards.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 November 2010, 11:14:01 »
Quote from: didjamatic;251796

Some Focus boards (2000+, 9000, possibly others) also have the 8-arrow cluster.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 November 2010, 12:26:40 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;252893
Few *normal* people have DIN 5 to ps/2 converters with which to test older keyboards.

I assume you're not counting the average Geekhacker as normal, :biggrin:?

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 November 2010, 12:51:27 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;253014
I assume you're not counting the average Geekhacker as normal, :biggrin:?

Nope :)

Some Focus boards (2000+, 9000, possibly others) also have the 8-arrow cluster.

I once saw a really nice programmable keyboard with the 8-arrow cluster on Ebay that was labeled by the seller as "Magitronix" brand.  from what I could tell by looking at the photographs, it looked like a really nice keyboard.  I got into a bidding war, but in the end I was not willing to put up more than $30 for it.  This was a while before I discovered this forum, so I never asked around here.

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline Pylon

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 16:54:50 »
So how would you go on testing one of these things? I finally got an AT -> PS/2 adapter built.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 17:09:25 »
Quote from: Pylon;254020
So how would you go on testing one of these things? I finally got an AT -> PS/2 adapter built.

I'm sure there are other ways, but what I would do is...  If on Windows, use Aqua's Key Test software.  If on Linux, I've done a "sudo showkey -a" command which will echo keystrokes back allowing a test.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 17:11:20 »
Alright, thanks. The Linux program so far is proving to be really useful.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 17:33:50 »
Quote from: Pylon;254031
Alright, thanks. The Linux program so far is proving to be really useful.

Glad to hear it!  I would guess that a lot of folks who call themselves testing a keyboard probably open up some sort of text or word processor and test what they can that way.  But as geekhackers we can do better, :wink:.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 17:38:08 »
Ad posted.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=254045#post254045

I actually did not know what most of the scan codes meant, and I didn't really test most of the F-keys, though they probably work.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 17:40:51 »
Quote from: Pylon;254048
Ad posted.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=254045#post254045

I actually did not know what most of the scan codes meant, and I didn't really test most of the F-keys, though they probably work.

I would guess that 9 times out of 10 you're looking primarily at if the keys make contact, but it's nice to see the code if you can interpret it.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 19:42:47 »
It's too bad my Gateway2000 computer didn't come with an Anykey keyboard. I had one of those on my very first computer (I regret getting rid of it). I liked those diagonal arrow keys and the programmability.

But at least I got the cow-print mouse pad. And a good Windows 3.1 system.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS